Game drilling - timed/untimed

hchamz123hchamz123 Free Trial Member

I am taking the test next week, and I want to go from --2-5 to --0. I plan to drill straight for a couple days and watch JY's videos after, and redo any ones that I bombed. But should I strictly time myself or no? I really just need to get better at diagramming effectively, and when I time myself I spend less time thinking about that. I'm wondering if I think about strategy carefully during drills, I can pick up strategies to use during timed PTs? Idk...

LG Drills
  1. Should I strictly time myself?4 votes
    1. DUH
      75.00%
    2. no, think about your strategy more?
      25.00%

Comments

• jennybbbbbjennybbbbb Alum Member
    630 karma

Definitely time, but I would try to get myself used to diagramming and drawing key inferences as well!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited November 2017 23929 karma

@hchamz123 said:
    I am taking the test next week, and I want to go from --2-5 to --0. I plan to drill straight for a couple days and watch JY's videos after, and redo any ones that I bombed. But should I strictly time myself or no? I really just need to get better at diagramming effectively, and when I time myself I spend less time thinking about that. I'm wondering if I think about strategy carefully during drills, I can pick up strategies to use during timed PTs? Idk...

Here's what I recommend: Time yourself; at least when you do the game initially. Timing is a much bigger part to LG than it is for LR/RC, in my opinion. With unlimited time you can always solve every game and draw out every scenario. You can't necessarily do that for LR/RC. Being timed also adds an element of pressure that is very important.

That said, after you do each game timed, BR it, and practice diagraming out out each possible frame/world/game board you can. This will help you make practice your diagraming and inference making skills.

I think this way is best because you're getting the best of both worlds, so to speak.

a -2.5 is a great place to be. So keep working hard & good luck

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

Are you getting those questions wrong because you don't have enough time when you get to them? Or are they silly mistakes?

• hchamz123hchamz123 Free Trial Member
    74 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@hchamz123 said:

Here's what I recommend: Time yourself; at least when you do the game initially. Timing is a much bigger part to LG than it is for LR/RC, in my opinion. With unlimited time you can always solve every game and draw out every scenario. You can't necessarily do that for LR/RC. Being timed also adds an element of pressure that is very important.

That said, after you do each game timed, BR it, and practice diagraming out out each possible frame/world/game board you can. This will help you make practice your diagraming and inference making skills.

I think this way is best because you're getting the best of both worlds, so to speak.

a -2.5 is a great place to be. So keep working hard & good luck

Alrighty, I'm timing myself. I like the idea of going back after to re-diagram and check for missed opportunities/inferences. Thanks for the advice!

• hchamz123hchamz123 Free Trial Member
    74 karma

@10000019 said:
    Are you getting those questions wrong because you don't have enough time when you get to them? Or are they silly mistakes?

It's not as much timing as it is silly mistakes, such as misreading a rule. I know from the fact that I freeze up for a moment between diagramming and going to the questions that I'm not confident in my diagrams. Hopefully drilling and re-drilling will make me more comfortable before Saturday. I was so focused on perfecting this new LR that my LG suffered.

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    edited November 2017 3279 karma

@hchamz123 said:

@10000019 said:

It's not as much timing as it is silly mistakes, such as misreading a rule. I know from the fact that I freeze up for a moment between diagramming and going to the questions that I'm not confident in my diagrams. Hopefully drilling and re-drilling will make me more comfortable before Saturday. I was so focused on perfecting this new LR that my LG suffered.

If you're doing great on time, and can afford to give up a bit of a time this excerpt from LSAT Hacks might he helpful (https://lsathacks.com/guide/faq/how-to-go-faster-logic-games/):

I read the rules once to understand the game.
    Twice: to draw.
    A third time: to check for mistakes and look for deductions.
    A fourth time: to eliminate answers on the first question. (if it’s an “acceptable order” >question)