Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

10 weeks to study. Increase??

sbc.mom_3xsbc.mom_3x Alum Member
in General 1501 karma

I took the LSAT in 2015. Before that I took 1 PT and did very little studying, virtually none other than reading the books about the LSAT that the LSAC sells. I am finally finished with undergrad. Have a very part-time job working from home. I am now able to dedicate a ton of time to studying. I'd like to take the Feb '18 LSAT. Still with little studying, yet, I took two PTs this week so far, and am at 142. Given my less than desirable GPA my LSAT score needs to be 150+ to get into a school in Ohio or Michigan. If I can dedicate 25+ hours per week over the next 10 weeks, is it humanly possible to raise 10 points? I'll purchase the starter, I did complete like 20% of the CC before but wasn't focusing as much as I should, I was still in UG. But now, I have the time to study and want to take advantage of it while I can. Any tips for studying over the next 10 weeks? Should I continue to take PTs for practice each week or wait until I finish the CC to take anymore?

Comments

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

Post your sectional scores.
    If you're aiming for at least a 150, I think that's a very obtainable goal.
    I would pause on the test taking until you have some basics and a game plan.
    I wouldn't put it on hold until you finish the entire CC though; you probably won't be able to finish the CC in 2 months.

• xtinextinextinextine Member
    861 karma

When do you plan on applying? What's the breakdown of your PT scores?

Regardless, I would suggest not taking another PT until you finish the CC. Once you understand the material more, you should be able to reach your target. Definitely don't burn through PTs without honing in on the logic behind the questions.

Once you do the CC and take a PT after, that should help you know if you're ready for February. I know it's said a lot, but honestly don't rush in to it. If you're applying next fall, maybe push the test to June?

It took me 2 months to do the CC while working full time so I don't think I can give you a solid answer on 10 weeks. You might want to account for having to go back and review the CC after taking a PT.

• sbc.mom_3xsbc.mom_3x Alum Member
    1501 karma

I'd like to apply for fall 2018. I will post the sectional scores in a bit, not handy right now. For on RC, I believe I had a 10 and 9 of the ones I missed, I had the correct answer circled first but changed my mind for the wrong, which upsets me that I doubted my initial answers. I had 12 LG right but ran out of time to finish 4 more, then after scoring myself tried those LG untimed and got all 4 correct. So potentially could've been 18 had I been faster. On the actual test I took I had about 20 RC correct. I know I can do this, I just need to study my ass off, learn to trust my instincts. And what else? Say I plan to study for 10 weeks and sit for Feb. Should I supplement with anything or just start the starter curriculum right now and get to it?

• xtinextinextinextine Member
    861 karma

First I would check with what schools you're applying to and make sure you'll be considered for Fall 2018 with a Feb score. It seems like this can vary on schools.

For the sake of time, I don't know if you'd be able to supplement with something at the same time as the CC. Alternatively, you don't want to bombard yourself with different methods of approaching questions. Maybe see if your library carries the LSAT Trainer and refer to it if necessary.

As they say, LG can be the easiest to improve on. It sounds like you need to familiarize yourself with the test a little more to increase your confidence on answer choices. I think it can doable and you seem driven enough to see improvement over the next 10 weeks. I would suggest getting the starter and going from there. I always wished I had done 7Sage earlier than I had.

1501 karma

I did check, 3 of them told me to apply now and then email/call them to request they hold my app until Feb test scores come in. Thanks for the advice / support.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@dytmom_3x said:
    I took the LSAT in 2015. Before that I took 1 PT and did very little studying, virtually none other than reading the books about the LSAT that the LSAC sells. I am finally finished with undergrad. Have a very part-time job working from home. I am now able to dedicate a ton of time to studying. I'd like to take the Feb '18 LSAT. Still with little studying, yet, I took two PTs this week so far, and am at 142. Given my less than desirable GPA my LSAT score needs to be 150+ to get into a school in Ohio or Michigan. If I can dedicate 25+ hours per week over the next 10 weeks, is it humanly possible to raise 10 points? I'll purchase the starter, I did complete like 20% of the CC before but wasn't focusing as much as I should, I was still in UG. But now, I have the time to study and want to take advantage of it while I can. Any tips for studying over the next 10 weeks? Should I continue to take PTs for practice each week or wait until I finish the CC to take anymore?

Yes, very possible. As others have said, make sure your preferred schools consider the Feb LSAT. I know many outside the T14 do, but it's still worth checking.

Go through the CC first, and don't take too many PTs before you've completed the CC. Timed sections and targeted drilling are better at this stage of your prep, in my opinion.

My best advice is not to rush. Utilize the forum for advice -- we're here to help!

10 weeks isn't a substantial amount of time to prep for a test such as the LSAT. You can't cram and rushing is futile. Remember, the test isn't testing what you know but rather how you perform. So while you're prepping keep that in mind. Make your focus on understanding and not just necessarily getting the questions right.

edited November 2017 1501 karma

For more insight... I've actually been accepted to a school, paid a deposit, and planned to start their winter term very soon. As that time draws near, I am realizing that I took the easy way out. I have 1 LSAT score from 2015, and it's damn near 2018, how lazy do I appear to be? Come on, I keep telling myself. I need to be realistic. I am older, a parent, and ready to get my career started but I think I need to give myself at least one more shot. I've just now got so much free time, that was going to be used for school obviously, and I think I need to tackle this test after studying. Literally my score from the actual test was almost as cold as can be, I hardly studied, was pregnant, sick, and an emotional wreck. Although my PTs now are that same score ? but, I know with studying that I can manage this test and perform much better. I have 3 days to request my deposit from the school. I need to spend just a few months to give myself the opportunity to get into a better school. I could probably even study 35+ hours a week. I am always one time say that anything worthwhile is not easily attained, but if I start school in a few weeks, then that was something easily attained, I didn't study for that beast of a test. If I do not have significant increase in Feb, I can extend the starter and sit for June. I need to think of the future and the long run and a delay of a few to several months or 1 year, in the grand scheme of things, isn't that bad.. if it's worthwhile I just know it has to be hard-earned... just venting in a sense I suppose... I'll stop now. Hah.