Advice, tips, suggestions - December 2017 Thread!

LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
edited November 2017 in December 2017 LSAT 13286 karma

Hey guys, so we are just under a week away from the December 2017 test and I know nerves are high! For many Sagers it is their first time taking the actual LSAT. There are also many Sagers who have taken the real test once, twice or even more times before. I wanted to start a thread where we could come together and ask questions and relieve some nerves before the test! Feel free to comment advice, tips, or questions so we can all help each other out and we have a useful thread to refer to!

Helpful Links;

1.) Photo requirements - https://www.lsac.org/jd/lsat/day-of-test/photo-requirements

2.) Day of test information (what to bring) https://www.lsac.org/jd/lsat/day-of-test

3.) Dates and deadlines (Including predicted score release) https://www.lsac.org/jd/lsat/test-dates-deadlines/2017-2018/us-canada-dec

4.) List of common questions - https://www.lsac.org/jd/help/faqs-lsat

My Advice;

• Understand that the test doesn’t start right at 8:30. Depending on the size of your testing center it will probably start closer to 9-9:30. You will have a bunch of time where you sit and wait. Followed by directions.

• Be weary of talking to other test takers about the LSAT. You don’t know their level of preparedness and it might get you nervous if they say something you were not expecting.

• Use the bathroom before the test.

• Scout out the location before you go. My test center has one bathroom, and it’s small. The line, especially for girls, is HUGE.

• Bring a snack! You might be hungry by the time the break comes.

• Don't try "cheat drugs" - don't overload on caffeine - go to bed early!

• Try not to change your routine at all.

• Stay calm, don't get into your own head.

• Listen to the proctors, follow the rules. Don't be the person who bubbles after time and gets flagged!!

Please feel free to add your own advice, questions or experiences guys!

Comments

• xtinextinextinextine Member
    edited December 2017 861 karma

I would like to add that if your test room has a whiteboard, ask the proctor to write the start and end times for the sections on the board.

You may or may not glance at it, but it might make the proctors less likely to mess up the time. I took the September test and talked to one girl who asked our proctor to do this because the last time she tested, the proctor messed up time. And I remember some posts on the forum about this happening too.

Good luck to everyone!! We got this!

Yeah so apparently they can't do this lol. I asked today and was told they aren't allowed to write on the board. Which is confusing because our proctor did it last time and this was the same testing center. Oh well!

• LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
    2134 karma

I have to add to have a good solid breakfast or finish your breakfast just before you are about to go in. I ate normally for the Sept test and had a snack for the break but so much time had gone by that by the time the third section rolled around I was very light headed.

My center was also very cold. I wore a tank top, tshirt and long-sleeve shirt and I was still cold. So, prepare well.

Good luck everyone!!! I'll be in your shoes come February!

• Rigid DesignatorRigid Designator Alum Member
    1091 karma

Going to ask a dumb question but... when do you fill in all that demographic info on your answer sheet? Will you be given instructions for all that stuff?

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

@"Rigid Designator" said:
    Going to ask a dumb question but... when do you fill in all that demographic info on your answer sheet? Will you be given instructions for all that stuff?

Sorta - What will happen is the proctor will read some script given to them from the LSAC. It will go fairly simply but inevitably someone will screw it up or not listen.

It will sound something like;

Please fill in items 1-6 on your Scantron now.

Please fill in items 6-8 on your Scantron now.

Please write the number on your booklet into section 12 "test form"

Bubble in item 13 with the test book serial number located on the front of your testbook.

Please print the information in item 14.

It will be fairly clear what's going on!

• kimpg_66kimpg_66 Alum Member
    1617 karma

Do I need to have my LSAC number memorized?

13286 karma

@kimmy_m66 said:
    Do I need to have my LSAC number memorized?

Nope! It's on your ticket, which will be with you at your desk.

• Mellow_ZMellow_Z Alum Member
    1997 karma

@LSATcantwin said:

Just droppin' in. Good luck boss - you'll kill it.

• BDBD Alum Member
    128 karma

Question - will there be a place to put our jackets?

13286 karma

@BD said:
    Question - will there be a place to put our jackets?

All depends on the test location. I take mine at a hotel and they take stuff for you if you ask! Some take it in a classroom, and might not have that luxury. Ask the proctors before you go in what you can do. Also, if you wear a sweater, they might make you tuck your hood in!

13286 karma

@Mellow_Z said:

@LSATcantwin said:

Just droppin' in. Good luck boss - you'll kill it.

Hope so. I’m so over this test haha. Are you retaking as well?

• BDBD Alum Member
    128 karma

@LSATcantwin said:

All depends on the test location. I take mine at a hotel and they take stuff for you if you ask! Some take it in a classroom, and might not have that luxury. Ask the proctors before you go in what you can do. Also, if you wear a sweater, they might make you tuck your hood in!

Cool cool cool, thank you! Good luck to all of you this weekend!

• acsimonacsimon Alum Member
    1269 karma

Good luck everyone!

• MaritzaaMaritzaa Alum Member
    368 karma

Does anyone know what the deal is with the watch? Are there only certain types that you can bring in? Does the 180 watch still pass?

• sandypantssandypants Alum Member
    edited November 2017 231 karma

I cannot stress what @LSATcantwin said more about being weary of talking to people/strangers! I talked to nobody and was able to stay centered, calm, and focused. A lot of people were talking around me, and there were two people especially who I could tell were extremely anxious and their voices got louder and louder as we got closer to getting seated. Bad vibes, honestly, and overall unhelpful to both them and the people around them. While I'm sure there are plenty of other calm/prepared people, it's just not worth the possibility of getting sucked into a negative conversation that could affect your mentality/performance.

@Mitzyyyy I would say leave the 180 watch at home. Chronograph watches are banned from the LSAT, and the 180 watch is technically one of those. I've heard differing accounts of how proctors enforce this, but I think it's better to be safe than sorry.

edit: that being said, good luck everyone!!

• BDBD Alum Member
    128 karma

@Mitzyyyy said:
    Does anyone know what the deal is with the watch? Are there only certain types that you can bring in? Does the 180 watch still pass?

Some people here have contacted LSAC and confirmed some of the watches that are allowed on test day. I'm not sure if the 180 watch is one of them, I would call LSAC and confirm just to be sure.

I can tell you that I've emailed LSAC and they're confirmed the Top-Tier and Perfect Score watch are permitted for use.

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

We are all going to make it!

• mcglz_64mcglz_64 Alum Member
    891 karma

Tip: if you really REALLY need to go to the bathroom during the test, I can say that the best time is after you've read a passage in the reading comp section. It give you time to think and process the passage so you don't loose too much steam during the exam due to an emergency pee break! For LR - go after you've read the question and reviewed some answers, same with LG. Basically - read first, and use the bathroom break to process whatever you read BUT ONL YDUE THIS IF YOU REALLY REALLY HAVE TO GO.