Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Has anyone ever tried the 3 watch method?

Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
in General 3521 karma

Hey all,

Has anyone ever tried the 3 watch method J.Y. mentions in the core curriculum? AKA - that you buy 3 (LSAT approved) watches, set each of them to 12:00, and turn each of them "on" at the beginning of each section? Then reset after the break.

Has anyone ever tried this? And has anyone gotten in trouble for it? I'm gonna do it this weekend.

Comments

• stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    edited November 2017 3197 karma

Tried it and liked it, did this on my first test. It works and it's not against rules lsat time I checked... although I did notice that tickets now specify a watch on the wrist... but... I can't imagine a proctor enforcing it

• FerdaFreshFerdaFresh Alum Member
    561 karma

@stepharizona said:
    Tried it and liked it, didnthisbon my first test. It works and it's not against rules lsat time I checked... although I did notice that tickets now specify a watch on the wrist... but... I can't imagine a proctor enforcing it

No way... that's a bummer. My wrist shall remain naked during this test thank u very much

• Mellow_ZMellow_Z Alum Member
    1997 karma

I did 3 watches in Sept. Didn't hear a word about it and it works great. Just have all the hands lined up to noon and have the pin pulled out - as soon as the section switches just swap desk location and push the pin in and good to go

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"Paul Caint" said:
    Hey all,

Has anyone ever tried the 3 watch method J.Y. mentions in the core curriculum? AKA - that you buy 3 (LSAT approved) watches, set each of them to 12:00, and turn each of them "on" at the beginning of each section? Then reset after the break.

Has anyone ever tried this? And has anyone gotten in trouble for it? I'm gonna do it this weekend.

I've thought about picking up a few of these watches: https://www.amazon.com/Casio-Quartz-Resin-Casual-Watch/dp/B000JNKABW/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1511924916&sr=8-13&keywords=casio+watch

Let me know if you run into any trouble using all 3.

Good luck :star:

• edited November 2017 8 karma

@stepharizona said:
    Tried it and liked it, didnthisbon my first test. It works and it's not against rules lsat time I checked... although I did notice that tickets now specify a watch on the wrist... but... I can't imagine a proctor enforcing it

Under the things permitted on your desktop section of the admission ticket it says that your watch is ok!

My watch face doesn’t have number just notches. I prefer to set my watch to 1215 in between each sections and then watch it get to 1255. I do this so that the straps of my watch run parelle with the top of my test. That way it is closer in my field of vision. Three watches seems like way too much to keep track of and worry about, especially when winding a watch back takes less than 5 seconds and can easily be done while they are reading the instructions for the next section.

• FerdaFreshFerdaFresh Alum Member
    561 karma

I bought one of these as my lsatmax watch's backup in case the proctor gives me trouble. Its only shortfall is that the dial is a little hard to pull out sometimes (which is understandable; they probably manufactured it with the idea that it'd hardly ever have to be reset right). I'd recommend grabbing one with a bigger dial.

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8689 karma

@"Paul Caint" @"Alex Divine" I don't want to start any scurrilous rumors, but I remember a few months ago reading on this forum that a proctor had an issue with a test taker having more than 1 watch. Even though having more than 1 watch is evidently not against the rules. Do either of you two remember that thread?

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    edited November 2017 4423 karma

@"Paul Caint"
    At my location in September they made someone put their watch on. Actually, they more just intimidated the guy into putting it on by asking why he didn't have it on. They never explicitly commanded him to put on the watch.

Then again, that proctor was strange about watches. He stared at my Casio watch long enough that I was starting to worry(what if bezels were banned?) and then when I asked if it was was okay he said it was fine, but he just thought it was a nice watch. It was the same watch recommended by JY. It works for the LSAT, but it is not a stare-worthy watch.

I would not have wanted to try to get a three watch setup approved and on the table because at the very least I would have had to argue about the rules with him or deal with his bizarre affection for them. To me that is more stress than it's worth. That said if other brave souls are willing to pioneer the process and take the stress out of it, more power to you.

Edit:
    Here is the link to the watch I used. I was happy with it.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005JVP0LE/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1511973040&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=casio+diving+watch&dpPl=1&dpID=51EdYIgL-VL&ref=plSrch

• AllezAllez21AllezAllez21 Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    1917 karma

Keep it simple, save money, use a bezel.

If you practice using the bezel, it will be 100% good enough.

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

I'm taking my LSAT at the same place I took it in September, and tbh the proctors seemed quite lax. My desk wasn't inspected for any materials I had, and in actuality nobody ever hovered over me or checked what I was doing...I feel as though they won't bat an eye at 3 watches, and if they do it's not technically against the rules. Right?

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

I think you should be ok but I think 3 watches may be overkill. haha Different strokes for different folks :smile:

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@BinghamtonDave said:
    @"Paul Caint" @"Alex Divine" I don't want to start any scurrilous rumors, but I remember a few months ago reading on this forum that a proctor had an issue with a test taker having more than 1 watch. Even though having more than 1 watch is evidently not against the rules. Do either of you two remember that thread?

Yeah, haha. It seems like it comes down to the proctors discretion. I alternate between using the Perfect Score watch and one like @"Seeking Perfection" / JY recommends with the adjustable bezel. I have to admit, I like the idea of 3 watches though, lol.

• beezmoofbeezmoof Alum Member
    555 karma

@"Alex Divine" What's the adjustable bezel?

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@beezmoof said:

Casio Men's MRW200H-7EV Sport Resin Watch
    This is the one I use and recommend:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005JVP0FU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You can adjust the bezel on it so you don't have to reset the watch during each section. Took me a week or so to get used to, but it's super easy to use.

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

I saw a post on reddit where someone claimed they emailed LSAC about this and was told it is not allowed.
    Either they made that up, or many people get away with breaking the rule. I guess you could go for it, and if they say anything just offer the watches to other test takers.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@beezmoof said:

Casio Men's MRW200H-7EV Sport Resin Watch
    This is the one I use and recommend:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005JVP0FU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You can adjust the bezel on it so you don't have to reset the watch during each section. Took me a week or so to get used to, but it's super easy to use.

Yes, one like this is actually better since it doesn't have the extra set of numbers to distract you.

You just rotate the outside part with the numbers on it(the bezel) so the arrow is pointing to the minute hand at the start of the section. The hand then keeps ticking around as usual until it reaches the 35 minute mark when the section ends.

It is extremely intuitive, far easier and less wear inducing than rewinding the watch every break, and if I ever take up diving, I have an appropriate watch.