Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Words/Phrases to avoid in Personal Statements, Writing Samples, Life, etc

Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
in General 27809 karma

Came across this nerd click bait and loved it. I've identified a lot of these linguistic hobbles in my own speech and writing, and I've been on a mission to eradicate them for about a year now. The opportunity to edit has made it a manageable task in my writing (when I remember), but I've barely made any headway in speech. For now, it remains a struggle, but I hope some of you will join me!

http://www.dictionary.com/e/s/umwords/#actually

Comments

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    edited November 2017 13286 karma

Well, actually, that is a fantastic article. I honestly can't think of any other words. That seriously covered everything. I'm totally informed now. In a weird way I think I've always known this you know? Obviously that is literally the best list of words and phrases.

• In all seriousness (I bet you this is another one, sort of cliche and over used) I love thinking about stuff like this. Thanks for sharing.
  • FerdaFreshFerdaFresh Alum Member
    561 karma

Haha I've come across this sort of thing myself. I remember an article like this telling me to stop saying "just" in emails... just wondering, just checking, just thinking... and I also read how saying "honestly" before anything tarnishes your credibility. That's been hard to take out of the speech drawer, but I try! You're not alone!

• btownsqueebtownsquee Alum Member
    1207 karma

I use a ton of these words! Good to know!! Time for some self-improvement.

• acsimonacsimon Alum Member
    1269 karma

I mean, they missed "I mean..."--A.c.S