Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many pencils :your security blanket?

olioliberolioliber Alum Member
edited December 2017 in General 729 karma

So I was just contemplating about tomorrow. I'm done studying and the stress sets in. But,despite it being one of the most stressful days in my life, I look forward to tomorrow. First, and most important, it will be all over! Second, I really enjoy getting to the test site early to people watch. Yes PEOPLE WATCH! If you are an avid people watcher, you know you'll see some gemstones tomorrow.
People watching can also be a great way to calm yourself down.
Like when you go to bed and can't fall asleep you count sheep, same when you wait for lsat you can count people's pencils.( I brought 10 last time myself) People go to extremes to feel ahmmn "secure" is the word? Especially the first time takers! Another thing that calms me down before the big L (no pun intended) is talking with people about the way in which they studied or how long they prepared. I go into every test feeling like I haven't studied enough, like maybe I don't know this stuff and all PT I've taken were for nothing. I sit biting myself down, when I hear "oh I haven't studied at all" or "I thought the experimental section was noted so we know which one it is". People tend to be so confident. I'm jealous of their "no fucks given" mentality, but it boosts my ego just to know I may be ok afterwards ?

How many pencils are you talking!?
  1. 0! I'm using black ink!67 votes
    1. 1
        1.49%
    2. 2
        0.00%
    3. 3
      40.30%
    4. 10
      44.78%
    5. 20
        8.96%
    6. I'll be dealing pencils to people who forgot! 100
        4.48%

Comments

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

10, but to be honest I'll probably only use 1.

What I've found is a dull pencil is actually better for bubbling in the scantron, since the surface area of the graphite has increased :blush:

I'm such a nerd

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

@"Paul Caint" said:

What I've found is a dull pencil is actually better for bubbling in the scantron, since the surface area of the graphite has increased :blush:

I'm such a nerd

That's why you bring a bunch of optimally pre-dullened pencils and some slightly sharper ones for diagramming games.

• tylerdschreur10tylerdschreur10 Alum Member
    1465 karma

@"Seeking Perfection" said:

@"Paul Caint" said:

I'm such a nerd

That's why you bring a bunch of optimally pre-dullened pencils and some slightly sharper ones for diagramming games.

Bro I've got separate bubbling pencils (3), LR/RC pencils (4) and Game pencils(2)! Dull, sharp and deadly weapon respectively.

I also have 2 erasers. One fresh one for scantron erasure and a duller one in case, God forbid, I need up a wakeboard and need to wipe out a swathe, haha!

Preparedness is my anxiety medication, can i get an amen?

1465 karma

Lol, need a wakeboard was supposed to be "mess up a gameboard" autocorrect be trippin

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma
  • Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Hahaha. I currently have 4 in my bag, but might throw in a couple extras. I've never used more than 1 on a PT so I doubt I'll be switching around or anything. But feels like a security blanket. I think it was the dudes on The Thinking LSAT podcast that recommended as a nerve release on test day, try to find the person with the most pencils/highlighters in the room. haha. I'll probably try to play a couple mental games like that just to get my mind off things.

How's everyone feeling? I missed the pep rally last night (DOH!) but cheering everyone (including myself lol) on tomorrow!!!

https://media.giphy.com/media/xUA7bajF5iamxgXkK4/giphy.gif

• Pink DustPink Dust Alum Member
    403 karma

Would we get in trouble if we worked with a mechanical pencil but bubbles with the regular wooden one?
    I hate working with the wooden pencil especially on games. :/ but I feel like I’ll get yelled at :(

• olioliberolioliber Alum Member
    729 karma

@"Pink Dust" said:
    Would we get in trouble if we worked with a mechanical pencil but bubbles with the regular wooden one?
    I hate working with the wooden pencil especially on games. :/ but I feel like I’ll get yelled at :(

You'll get kicked out! Don't do it. They state it very clear.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

I've amassed over 200 pencils while prepping. I'm planning on bring about 100. I want people to experience the magic of the Staedtler Wopex on their exams. I ha> @"Pink Dust" said:

You can't use them and I wouldn't recommend trying. I started studying with mechanical pencils and it's whatever. They're certainly more convenient, I'll give you that. The switch and what type of pencil make no difference beyond your imagination.

People have also reported that it's standard procedure for the proctors to make you place them on the ground and they do seem to note what type of pencil you're using.

1465 karma

On the September test someone near me brought mechanical pencils. The proctor noticed while checking his bag. They told him he couldn't use them, and provided two no. 2 pencils. So definitively, no mechs! Sadly, because I would love to use @"Pink Dust" s method. I think the last time id used a wooden pencil prior to LSAT study was the frickin ACT. Back in 1872.

• Pink DustPink Dust Alum Member
    403 karma

@oberdysz said:

@"Pink Dust" said:

You'll get kicked out! Don't do it. They state it very clear.

@"Alex Divine" said:
    I've amassed over 200 pencils while prepping. I'm planning on bring about 100. I want people to experience the magic of the Staedtler Wopex on their exams. I ha> @"Pink Dust" said:

You can't use them and I wouldn't recommend trying. I started studying with mechanical pencils and it's whatever. They're certainly more convenient, I'll give you that. The switch and what type of pencil make no difference beyond your imagination.

People have also reported that it's standard procedure for the proctors to make you place them on the ground and they do seem to note what type of pencil you're using.

@tylerdschreur10 said:
    On the September test someone near me brought mechanical pencils. The proctor noticed while checking his bag. They told him he couldn't use them, and provided two no. 2 pencils. So definitively, no mechs! Sadly, because I would love to use @"Pink Dust" s method. I think the last time id used a wooden pencil prior to LSAT study was the frickin ACT. Back in 1872.

damn. I am sad. hahaha

• stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma

6 one a section...

• ramster1ramster1 Member
    109 karma

Wow, I thought I'd look silly bringing 3. I will throw in a bunch more now! Good question...

• ArtoriusArtorius Alum Member
    edited December 2017 188 karma

I brought six last time. I just switched to a new one for each section and it worked out great.

• 193 karma

I had 4, but I only used the pencil I got ONE 170 a couple of days ago. I hope it worked again!