Mis-bubbled Need Advice

Hi everyone,

I took the LSAT for the first time today (after not feeling prepared for September and canceling the day before), and actually felt okay about my chances at 160+. That is, until I panicked during the Games (last section), and unknowingly mis-bubbled starting mid-way through the section. I'd say I was actually doing okay on the games (moving slowly but ensuring I did the first 3 games right), and had 5 minutes left for the last one. After setting up the last game, I realized that on the second game, I'd skipped the first question (intending to go back), but didn't skip the corresponding bubble. At this point, there was about 2 - 3 minutes left and I hadn't circled my previous answers in the booklet. After trying to shift them down and randomly marking the last 3 questions, I realized that I still hadn't correctly bubbled one of the answers in the middle -indicating that perhaps (or even probably) I hadn't actually fixed the bubbling correctly. I was able to correct that answer, but have no idea if the 10-15 answers below it were bubbled correctly or not.

I'm applying this admissions cycle with targets of Vandy, Duke, and Emory (URM applicant, strong softs). Should I cancel and re-take in February (sending in materials early and explaining the mishap) or let the score come (expecting as low as 140s) and promise to have a higher score in February?

I know the mis-bubbling is my fault and definitely take responsibility, just wondering if I should cancel. Any advice is appreciated!

Cancelling Score Advice
  1. Should I cancel my score?20 votes
    1. Yes, cancel and send explanation of mishap
      60.00%
    2. No, let the score come but explain that February's score will be higher
      40.00%

Comments

• I see most pollers say to cancel. I am definitely applying this cycle. Is having a bad score placeholder really not worse than having no lsat on file at all?

• FerdaFreshFerdaFresh Alum Member
    561 karma

In both scenarios, February is your saving grace. However, if you keep your score and those questions were bubbled incorrectly, I'd be hesitant to assume that your application won't be written off early by schools with median scores in the mid to high 160s.

It's a gamble. I'd probably cancel and look at the silver lining -- you put yourself in a real test setting scenario, and you'll be more ready to tackle it come Feb. Also, come February, you'll be more wary of taking the extra seconds to make sure you bubble correctly to begin with. By spending the extra time to do this, maybe you lose a minute per section that you could have used on one question. That's a good trade-off if you ask me.

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

I've seen other posters in the past with similar experiences work with lsac to fix the bubbling. It sounds crazy but if I remember correctly, if you know from which question the mis-bubbling began they will shift all the answers down from that question. It's at least worth looking into.

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10774 karma

@jkatz1488 said:
    I've seen other posters in the past with similar experiences work with lsac to fix the bubbling. It sounds crazy but if I remember correctly, if you know from which question the mis-bubbling began they will shift all the answers down from that question. It's at least worth looking into.

I believe I have heard the same thing. If you can tell them which question you mis-bubbled from they can fix it :)

• @"Michaela.Pratt1" said:
    Hi everyone,

I took the LSAT for the first time today (after not feeling prepared for September and canceling the day before), and actually felt okay about my chances at 160+. That is, until I panicked during the Games (last section), and unknowingly mis-bubbled starting mid-way through the section. I'd say I was actually doing okay on the games (moving slowly but ensuring I did the first 3 games right), and had 5 minutes left for the last one. After setting up the last game, I realized that on the second game, I'd skipped the first question (intending to go back), but didn't skip the corresponding bubble. At this point, there was about 2 - 3 minutes left and I hadn't circled my previous answers in the booklet. After trying to shift them down and randomly marking the last 3 questions, I realized that I still hadn't correctly bubbled one of the answers in the middle -indicating that perhaps (or even probably) I hadn't actually fixed the bubbling correctly. I was able to correct that answer, but have no idea if the 10-15 answers below it were bubbled correctly or not.

I'm applying this admissions cycle with targets of Vandy, Duke, and Emory (URM applicant, strong softs). Should I cancel and re-take in February (sending in materials early and explaining the mishap) or let the score come (expecting as low as 140s) and promise to have a higher score in February?

I know the mis-bubbling is my fault and definitely take responsibility, just wondering if I should cancel. Any advice is appreciated!

@Sami said:

@jkatz1488 said:

I believe I have heard the same thing. If you can tell them which question you mis-bubbled from they can fix it :)

Thanks, probably wouldn't work since I tried to fix it in the last minute and have no idea if it's fixed.