Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to deal with post-exam anxiety?

gparmar92gparmar92 Alum Member
in General 153 karma

Finished the Dec LSAT. Regardless of the outcome, how do you deal with the anxiety of waiting? Does anyone have any strategy? That's something I'm seriously struggling with, and I am really sure I will continue to struggle with it in the coming days :(

Comments

• olioliberolioliber Alum Member
    edited December 2017 729 karma

Wine!

• gparmar92gparmar92 Alum Member
    153 karma

@oberdysz said:
    Wine!

haha, noted! Thx for the tip

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@gparmar92 said:
    Finished the Dec LSAT. Regardless of the outcome, how do you deal with the anxiety of waiting? Does anyone have any strategy? That's something I'm seriously struggling with, and I am really sure I will continue to struggle with it in the coming days :(

Get out of your head, it's a bad neighborhood. Go out, spend time with loved ones, do something not LSAT related. Get the hell off law school/LSAT forums. Study for your actual college finals, immerse yourself in something you haven't had the time to do while you've been studying...

But most of all, chill... For now, it's over and your score is your score. Accept it. Realize you can always retake if need be, and enjoy your life :star:

• lsatplaylistlsatplaylist Member
    5249 karma

A nice dinner sounds like a good reward.

153 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@gparmar92 said:

Get out of your head, it's a bad neighborhood. Go out, spend time with loved ones, do something not LSAT related. Get the hell off law school/LSAT forums. Study for your actual college finals, immerse yourself in something you haven't had the time to do while you've been studying...

But most of all, chill... For now, it's over and your score is your score. Accept it. Realize you can always retake if need be, and enjoy your life :star:

Thanks man, that really helps. Ugh sometimes its just really rough, because you just wanna get this thing done and never to have to f**kin think about a logic game ever again. I just felt very disheartened when I left the exam knowing I didn't do well on a section (like I did for the Dec one). Especially considering it wasn't an issue in practice...oh well.

Thanks again.

• nikkik33333nikkik33333 Free Trial Member
    36 karma

I got an entire cake, a bottle of champagne, and am having a small gathering at my house tonight to socialize with the friends I've ignored for the past month or so because I've been studying. The results are no longer in your hands - no matter what you do, you can't change them. There's no use in worrying, you might as well try to forget about it and be pleasantly surprised when you get your scores back and find out you did great.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@gparmar92 said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@gparmar92 said:

Thanks man, that really helps. Ugh sometimes its just really rough, because you just wanna get this thing done and never to have to f**kin think about a logic game ever again. I just felt very disheartened when I left the exam knowing I didn't do well on a section (like I did for the Dec one). Especially considering it wasn't an issue in practice...oh well.

Thanks again.

It's normal to feel this way after the test man. Don't sweat it too hard. I feel you though, I really do. Just make sure you do something fun or nice for yourself, because after everything you deserve it.

153 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@gparmar92 said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@gparmar92 said:

Thanks again.

It's normal to feel this way after the test man. Don't sweat it too hard. I feel you though, I really do. Just make sure you do something fun or nice for yourself, because after everything you deserve it.

Will do! And you're right I need to just relax for a couple days. Sliver lining in the clouds is that, in hindsight the games didn't feel objectively hard for me, but I panicked on a few questions and that cost me big time. I find the LSAT is like a sprint; each stride counts, and if you mess up on a few strides you fall over and don't perform well in the race. Regardless after thinking about it and reading everyone's posts on this thread I'm feeling a lot better, and getting my confidence back. :)

edited December 2017 153 karma

@nikkik33333 said:
    I got an entire cake, a bottle of champagne, and am having a small gathering at my house tonight to socialize with the friends I've ignored for the past month or so because I've been studying. The results are no longer in your hands - no matter what you do, you can't change them. There's no use in worrying, you might as well try to forget about it and be pleasantly surprised when you get your scores back and find out you did great.

I needed to hear that, thank you. Unecessary stress is something that I can't bring on myself, and you're 100% right, freaking out over it now ain't gonna change a thing. I took it really hard the first couple hours after the test just because I want to be a lawyer so bad, so the fact that this one exam is almost like a gatekeeper for me made it seem like it was a sort of a be all/end all situation...which it isn't :smiley:

• OlamHafuchOlamHafuch Alum Member
    edited December 2017 2326 karma

@"Alex Divine" 's advice to "Get the hell off law school/LSAT forums" is so on point. Think of them as an anxiety amplifier. You not only have to carry the burden of your own anxiety, but that of dozens of other people too.

• H O ThomasH O Thomas Alum Member
    204 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

This can't be stressed enough. You're done. It's over. You most likely got a score you can live with.

It's time to move on to other things. Rebuild your social life. Go out and try new things. This may be the last chance you get to experience life. Everyone I've ever known before law school has come out of law school a much more boring and awkward person.

Seriously, go be normal. These are your final days dude. Enjoy them.

• PandaRamenPandaRamen Alum Member
    162 karma

cried in the corner after I got home just to vent and let all the stress out. Then went out to get dinner, drink and then went bowling. It seems like throwing something and it being out of your control and being okay with the result whether it be a strike or in the gutter is really helping me get a grip that I messed up my Dec test. My friend put it simply "There's always another ball coming out of that thing, the pins will always get arrange, and you will always have another chance to get a strike!"

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10774 karma

@gparmar92 said:

In the words of my mother, no point in thinking about an exam that's done and you can't control anymore. Maybe it went well, maybe not. The question is what to do from here on now. I am taking four days off, then back to LSAT for Feb -just in case or to raise my score, and to work on my applications!. So even if I had a high or low score, I know I would be doing the same thing. :)

153 karma

@Sami said:

@gparmar92 said:

In the words of my mother, no point in thinking about an exam that's done and you can't control anymore. Maybe it went well, maybe not. The question is what to do from here on now. I am taking four days off, then back to LSAT for Feb -just in case or to raise my score, and to work on my applications!. So even if I had a high or low score, I know I would be doing the same thing. :)

That seems like a great plan. My dad gave me similar advice too when he saw me sulking lol. Thanks for the advice I appreciate it!

153 karma

@PandaRamen said:
    cried in the corner after I got home just to vent and let all the stress out. Then went out to get dinner, drink and then went bowling. It seems like throwing something and it being out of your control and being okay with the result whether it be a strike or in the gutter is really helping me get a grip that I messed up my Dec test. My friend put it simply "There's always another ball coming out of that thing, the pins will always get arrange, and you will always have another chance to get a strike!"

How I'm thinking about the February exam. Thanks a lot. And you're right, its out of my hands now, so no point in wasting energy on it. :smile:

• tylerdschreur10tylerdschreur10 Alum Member
    1465 karma

Biggest thing is to stay busy. Applications, worm, volunteering and reuniting woth friends are all great. Maybe an occasional study session in case you have to retake

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

patrol cc comments sections for questions to answer : ) but also wine

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

lol OR get to work on apps and 1L reading material : )

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9372 karma

I’m taking two days off and then I’ll go back to studying for the February LSAT and work on my applications. That is basically what I did after the September test.

Stay away from Top Law Schools Forum. I get anxiety almost every time I go there. I went there yesterday, and I’m still recovering from negativity :weary:

• TinaTheLlamaTinaTheLlama Member
    91 karma

yeah I think even being on here is increasing my anxiety. My PT scores are so on the fence for what I want to do so it depends on what comes back in January. I want to just plan for June but everyone around me is anxious for me to get on with my life. I'm just going to focus on spring plans and app materials, get them ready to submit the day after my score comes back. If my score isn't acceptable, I'll just set all the app materials aside, get back to drilling and ramping up for June. My guts are all in a bad knot. I feel for everyone else on here.