Exam Felt Good - Register for February Just in Case?

Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
in General 3521 karma

Hey all,

Hope everyone is dealing with their post-LSAT anxiety well. For me, the exam felt fine. Much better than September, and I think I have a good shot at getting my goal score.

Still, I feel like I should register for the February exam just in case...even though I'm planning on applying this cycle. The testing center I use, and really really like, fills up pretty quickly, so I kinda want to get a spot just in case.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Yeah I already registered for February as a back up and I think I'll still take it. I plan on continuing to study some to try to raise it. It'll be too late for admissions, but could always help for scholarship negotiations. I think the only way I'd withdraw is if I get my score in January and it's so shockingly high that I couldn't beat it in Feb. But, I think that's pretty unlikely haha. I think I probably ended up right in the center of my PT scores, which is about bare minimum what I wanted. (Reminder that LSAC has said that for December takers, we can cancel February and get a full refund if we withdraw within 1 week of receiving December scores!)

• dml277dml277 Alum Member
    775 karma

@"Leah M B" Could you please point me to where LSAC says we can get a full refund for February if we withdraw within one week of receiving December scores?
    My memory might not be serving me correctly but I vaguely recall reading somewhere on the LSAC website saying that because the deadline for registering February is before the December score release, we can get a full refund after receiving our December scores. However, I just checked and realized the deadline for the February test registration is January 4, one day after the official December score release date.

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

@"Leah M B" FULL REFUND?!?!?!

• ArtoriusArtorius Alum Member
    edited December 2017 188 karma

@dml277 said:
    @"Leah M B" Could you please point me to where LSAC says we can get a full refund for February if we withdraw within one week of receiving December scores?
    My memory might not be serving me correctly but I vaguely recall reading somewhere on the LSAC website saying that because the deadline for registering February is before the December score release, we can get a full refund after receiving our December scores. However, I just checked and realized the deadline for the February test registration is January 4, one day after the official December score release date.

They said that for the 2016-2017 one:

https://www.lsac.org/jd/lsat/test-dates-deadlines/2016-2017/us-canada-dec

Not sure if this apply to the 2017-2018 as well.

• olioliberolioliber Alum Member
    729 karma

What is the deadline to register for February? I'm also registering just in case. Better safe than sorry!

• jack.igoejack.igoe Member
    544 karma

Just out of curiosity; would you use the February test for this upcoming cycle? I feel good about today's test as well but that's only in comparison to September.

3521 karma

@"jack.igoe" Not for this cycle for applications. But I have heard of many 7Sagers holding a higher LSAT score over the schools-they-were-admitted-to's heads in order to get more scholarship money.

Also if my December score is really bad then I may just hold off and apply next cycle.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"Paul Caint" said:
    Hey all,

Hope everyone is dealing with their post-LSAT anxiety well. For me, the exam felt fine. Much better than September, and I think I have a good shot at getting my goal score.

Still, I feel like I should register for the February exam just in case...even though I'm planning on applying this cycle. The testing center I use, and really really like, fills up pretty quickly, so I kinda want to get a spot just in case.

Thoughts?

Excellent dude! Since the first time we spoke, I had faith you were going to kill it!

I think you should register because the potential downside is so minimal (you lose out on a bit of money) and the upside seems to justify it. Because you're right; the test centers can fill up quickly and you don't want to be stressed about that in the midst of prepping for a retake.

Either way, I have a feeling you did very well.

edited December 2017 775 karma

@"Arthur K." Thank you!

I just checked and found out that the registration deadline for the February 2017 test was December 21, 2016, so it would make sense for LSAC to give a full refund for those happy with their December scores. This time, the deadline for the February 2018 test is January 4. It seems like LSAC has deliberately made it so that the deadline is one day after the test score release date.

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9372 karma

I registered for the December & February before the September test. lol

• sbc.mom_3xsbc.mom_3x Alum Member
    edited December 2017 1501 karma

@"jack.igoe" said:
    Just out of curiosity; would you use the February test for this upcoming cycle? I feel good about today's test as well but that's only in comparison to September.

>

If your question was a general question, some schools will consider the February score for this cycle. It is a possibility. I am taking the Feb test for this admissions cycle.

8392 karma

@"Paul Caint" @dml277 Sorry to leave you hanging, was busy drinking wine and re-connecting with long lost friends now that the LSAT is over, haha.

Yeah, there was one of those notifications at the top of the page when you sign into your LSAC account (like right now there is one about site maintenance, but the LSAT registration one is gone). I searched my e-mail and they must not have sent one about it, but I remember even discussing with people on the board here when that notice popped up. They gave a specific date that you had to request the refund by but I remember it was roughly either 5-7 days after the December scores will be released. It said that you had to e-mail LSAC to get the refund but they would refund full amount of February registration since there won't be time to register after receiving the December scores.

Probably wouldn't hurt to e-mail LSAC to confirm since it doesn't look like they actually sent an e-mail about that. Doesn't hurt to have it in writing. But I 100% remember it and that is a lot of the reason that I already registered for February.

8392 karma

AH HA! Found the thread where we discussed this:
    https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/comment/87674

Interestingly, it looks like a couple months ago when we talked about this, the deadline to register for February was December 27. They apparently have changed that deadline to January 4. That makes me wonder if they changed that policy. I sure hope not, because I signed up for February in large part because they said that we could cancel for a full refund. This makes me think even more so that you might want to e-mail LSAC to confirm that they will hold to this if you register for February now.

• acsimonacsimon Alum Member
    1269 karma

I was glad to find that you felt good about it. Best of luck waiting for your confirmation!--A.c.S

• zanesbitzanesbit Alum Member
    102 karma

@"Leah M B" LSAC is no longer honoring Feb cancellations. I called 2 weeks ago to ask and was told theytest scores will be in the day before the Feb deadline so people will still have time to register. I asked about centers filling up given a 24 registration period...didn't matter. If you've already registered they will likely honor still, but I believe they removed that memo from the site now.

edited December 2017 8392 karma

@zanesbit said:
    @"Leah M B" LSAC is no longer honoring Feb cancellations. I called 2 weeks ago to ask and was told theytest scores will be in the day before the Feb deadline so people will still have time to register. I asked about centers filling up given a 24 registration period...didn't matter. If you've already registered they will likely honor still, but I believe they removed that memo from the site now.

That suuuuuuuucks. They had better honor if I decide to cancel, because I mostly signed up specifically because I could still get my money back. If it was a commitment, I might not have. That’s really crappy to change the registration deadlines and remove that. Also super crappy to only give a 24 hour window to register. For real, most of the test centers here fill up and I’d have to go somewhere that’s a 2 hour drive. Geez. Thanks for updating us, that’s crazy important to know.

• cgracia12cgracia12 Alum Member
    737 karma

@zanesbit said:

WTF, seriously?! That's a BS move IMO.

On another note, why do so many people seem dissuaded to take Feb for this upcoming cycle? Can't you still submit your app and tell them to wait on your February scores? Lots of schools are pushing back their deadlines aren't they?

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

I should register for it. I know it's something I should do just in case. I just can't get myself to do it. After a year and a half of studying, and three attempts, the urge to be done is huge...lol

• agparkinsonagparkinson Free Trial Member
    4 karma

Hey guys so I took the test in Canada. LSAC says that I should receive my results by email within 3 weeks (dec 23). But you guys are talking about receiving them in early Jan. Am I just being naive here believing that they would actually send them out in the 3 weeks when it actually always takes them 4 or? I am also considering taking the Feb test for a retake, as Canadian schools application deadline is already past so I’m committed to my application regardless of my score. The school I’m applying for does take the Feb LSAT though so I can redeem myself there if need be.

• Mitchell-1Mitchell-1 Member
    756 karma

Just signed up myself. I think I probably did well enough on December that I could cancel, but part of me wants one more go. If I'm not worrying about my score, I actually quite enjoy the act of taking a real test.

775 karma

@agparkinson said:
    Hey guys so I took the test in Canada. LSAC says that I should receive my results by email within 3 weeks (dec 23). But you guys are talking about receiving them in early Jan. Am I just being naive here believing that they would actually send them out in the 3 weeks when it actually always takes them 4 or? I am also considering taking the Feb test for a retake, as Canadian schools application deadline is already past so I’m committed to my application regardless of my score. The school I’m applying for does take the Feb LSAT though so I can redeem myself there if need be.

The official score release date is January 3 for Canada as well. Here: https://www.lsac.org/jd/lsat/test-dates-deadlines/2017-2018/us-canada-dec

There have been many instances in the past where Dec scores were released early and it can happen again, but LSAC isn't promising a date earlier than January 3.

3521 karma

@LSATcantwin How did you feel about this exam?

• StothentothekStothentothek Free Trial Member
    69 karma

On another note, why do so many people seem dissuaded to take Feb for this upcoming cycle? Can't you still submit your app and tell them to wait on your February scores? Lots of schools are pushing back their deadlines aren't they?

Neither of the schools I have applied to accept the Feb LSAT for this admissions cycle

13286 karma

@"Paul Caint" said:

No clue. I've never felt like this before lol I ENJOYED reading comp. I don't think I did better necessarily but I liked the passages. LR was a fucking blur, that's all I can say about that. LG I finished in my normal amount of time, they felt "stickier" then usual but I finished them.

So basically, I have no idea. lol

8392 karma

@LSATcantwin said:

@"Paul Caint" said:

No clue. I've never felt like this before lol I ENJOYED reading comp. I don't think I did better necessarily but I liked the passages. LR was a fucking blur, that's all I can say about that. LG I finished in my normal amount of time, they felt "stickier" then usual but I finished them.

Dude, I've been thinking about you and was just going to ask how you felt. I think this means you crushed it!!! Wasn't RC the only thing that was super rough for you from Sept? LR was hard, and LG was hard-ish, but nothing too unreasonable and you're super prepared. I ended up not finishing LG and was kicking myself because I know how to do them, I just took too long. And I remember that timing hasn't been a problem for you, so I'm sure you nailed it.

Felt the same about RC, I ended up not quite finishing (mis-managed the final 5 minutes and accidentally didn't bubble in the last 2 Qs ugh) but the topics were great, stuff I'm actually interested in and feel comfortable with. I felt better about the Qs that I did answer than pretty much any other RC section I've done.

13286 karma

@"Leah M B" said:

@LSATcantwin said:

@"Paul Caint" said:

Dude, I've been thinking about you and was just going to ask how you felt. I think this means you crushed it!!! Wasn't RC the only thing that was super rough for you from Sept? LR was hard, and LG was hard-ish, but nothing too unreasonable and you're super prepared. I ended up not finishing LG and was kicking myself because I know how to do them, I just took too long. And I remember that timing hasn't been a problem for you, so I'm sure you nailed it.

Felt the same about RC, I ended up not quite finishing (mis-managed the final 5 minutes and accidentally didn't bubble in the last 2 Qs ugh) but the topics were great, stuff I'm actually interested in and feel comfortable with. I felt better about the Qs that I did answer than pretty much any other RC section I've done.

Haha I've been keeping low key. I felt so strange leaving that test that I've kind of just shrugged it off. My Sept test was RC and 1 LR section that really hurt me. This time who knows....lol

Everything you experience is good learning tool! It sounds like you know exactly what happened and how to address it, which is essential to getting better at the LSAT. I still think you might be pleasantly surprised with your outcome though!