Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Official December LSAT Discussion Thread

Comments

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

@oberdysz said:

Oh lol I haven't used the bibles :0

You're better off! I like 7sage's methods better... that's why I'm here, haha. But he's obviously a very knowledgeable LSAT resource. His website has some interesting nerdy blogs with statistics. He has a massive chart with all the recent test curves listed, another one with the predicted LSAT score return dates vs actual, etc etc.

• Mitchell-1Mitchell-1 Member
    756 karma

@"Leah M B" said:
    Just want to say, I usually do fairly well with LR (-3 or -4 per section) but there were several questions that I could barely even figure out what they were asking. Maybe my brain was fried because it was section 5 but I legit could not even understand the dolphin question. I read it about 8 times and still had not even a clue. The Greek tablet one too. The answers all seemed insane, barely even related to the question. Black and white camouflage, I understood the question but the answers were all pretty wacky. The prehistoric fish fingers, I literally let out a quiet laugh because, first of all, the subject matter was bananas. Gonna have to go google finger fish lol. But also none of the answers seemed to fit at all.

I don't know if this all was test day brain fry, or the LR was significantly difficult. It felt pretty tough to me. The good news being, RC felt easier than average. So, crossing my (fish) fingers that they all balanced out and I scored around my average PTs.

PS - Team Kate-Li-should-pass-on-that-tip!

Ugh, the dolphins. I spent a good amount of time on it and couldn't figure it out. Then just as time was called, it clicked and I had to stare at the wrong answer on my Scantron for the rest of the test (my section two).

The LR did have a lot of difficult questions. It felt like they wanted you to find the least wrong answer as opposed to a right one.

8392 karma

@"Mitchell-1" said:

@"Leah M B" said:
    Just want to say, I usually do fairly well with LR (-3 or -4 per section) but there were several questions that I could barely even figure out what they were asking. Maybe my brain was fried because it was section 5 but I legit could not even understand the dolphin question. I read it about 8 times and still had not even a clue. The Greek tablet one too. The answers all seemed insane, barely even related to the question. Black and white camouflage, I understood the question but the answers were all pretty wacky. The prehistoric fish fingers, I literally let out a quiet laugh because, first of all, the subject matter was bananas. Gonna have to go google finger fish lol. But also none of the answers seemed to fit at all.

I don't know if this all was test day brain fry, or the LR was significantly difficult. It felt pretty tough to me. The good news being, RC felt easier than average. So, crossing my (fish) fingers that they all balanced out and I scored around my average PTs.

Ugh, the dolphins. I spent a good amount of time on it and couldn't figure it out. Then just as time was called, it clicked and I had to stare at the wrong answer on my Scantron for the rest of the test (my section two).

The LR did have a lot of difficult questions. It felt like they wanted you to find the least wrong answer as opposed to a right one.

I know we can't go too in depth but... buildings? In water? Were they building something in water?? I could not understand what they were saying!! I really want my test back so I can re-read that with a fresh brain and see if it makes any sense.

And I feel you, I screwed up timing in RC on the real section, thought I had a minute or two left and ended up not bubbling in for the last 2 questions at all. I wouldn't have gotten to finish them anyway, but was kicking myself for not at least getting something bubbled in. It just was glaring at me. Arghhhh.

• DSJ55DSJ55 Free Trial Member
    13 karma

Hi everyone. This is my first post. Been looking from the outside. I took the lsat yesterday at the Marriott in LA.

The LR about the Ancient Greek tablet was a real section. I only had 2 LR sections.

• 2017apf392017apf39 Alum Member
    29 karma

I had LR, RC, LR, LR, LG. I've heard the second LR was not real but still trying to confirm. Did anyone without an experimental have an LR question about Egyptian civilization? I'm pretty sure that was in my second section.

• doyeradoyera Alum Member
    47 karma

Was so glad to see a second RC on my test. I'm one of those weirdos that loves RC though.

• Ever1290Ever1290 Alum Member
    13 karma

Removed

13 karma

Removed

• kimpg_66kimpg_66 Alum Member
    1617 karma

@apf39 said:
    I had LR, RC, LR, LR, LG. I've heard the second LR was not real but still trying to confirm. Did anyone without an experimental have an LR question about Egyptian civilization? I'm pretty sure that was in my second section.

Experimentals are going to to be in different orders for most people :) and some people have different experimental sections. So while I can't say anything about the "second LR", I only had 2 LR and did not have a ? about Egyptian civilization, so it must have been your experimental section. But again, the position of one person's may not be the position of yours

13 karma

@10000019 said:

No

• ht317887ht317887 Free Trial Member
    39 karma

Does anyone remember the last question on each of the real LR’s they got? I didn’t get to the last question in one of my LR’s (I had 3) so I wanted to figure out whether that one was the experimental!! Thanks so much!

• ht317887ht317887 Free Trial Member
    39 karma

@ht348 said:
    Does anyone remember the last question on each of the real LR’s they got? I didn’t get to the last question in one of my LR’s (I had 3) so I wanted to figure out whether that one was the experimental!! Thanks so much!

I unfortunately don’t remember which questions were in which section so even the “list of real questions” isn’t as helpful for me for determining whether the one I didn’t finish was experimental :(

• spitzy11spitzy11 Alum Member
    772 karma

@DSJ55 said:
    Hi everyone. This is my first post. Been looking from the outside. I took the lsat yesterday at the Marriott in LA.

The LR about the Ancient Greek tablet was a real section. I only had 2 LR sections.

I was there too! Honestly kind of irritated at how long it took just to collect and distribute everything and the base of the music sure didn't help focusing.

• 2017apf392017apf39 Alum Member
    29 karma

@kimmy_m66 said:

@apf39 said:

Experimentals are going to to be in different orders for most people :) and some people have different experimental sections. So while I can't say anything about the "second LR", I only had 2 LR and did not have a ? about Egyptian civilization, so it must have been your experimental section. But again, the position of one person's may not be the position of yours

Yeah I know-- just included for context. Thanks for your confirming.

• AshleighKAshleighK Alum Member
    786 karma

I honestly found some of it pretty hard. I think it either went really well or bad. I got two RCs, I thought the first one with the Chinese passage was the experimental because my second RC I found way easier.
    LR: it was decent but there was some questions that was weird. The T-Rex one and there was one that asked which principles were rejected about the Greek play.
    LG: It was decent until I got to the last game with the floor cleaning. It was really weird and I tried not to freak out. I honestly thought this LSAT seemed to have a lot more wrenches thrown at me than the more recent PTs I used (72-81).

• nicholasthomas127nicholasthomas127 Alum Member
    458 karma

Just to double check, the game with LG with the debating and alternating turns was experimental right?

• SerenityFalconSerenityFalcon Alum Member
    86 karma

I had only 2 LR sections and saw the copper tool/canoe question and the ancient fish with fingers question as well, so they must be real.

@"Dillon A. Wright" said:

@castinghallpublicity said:
    The other (closed) thread called the copper tool/canoe LR question experimental. That was definitely real.

There was also one about an ancient fish with fingers, if that hasn’t been mentioned yet.

How many LR sections did you have?

• TheoryandPracticeTheoryandPractice Alum Member
    edited December 2017 1008 karma

@"Leah M B" my exact thoughts on the dolphins Q. I couldn't understand what it was saying for the life of me. Buildings? under water? What?

• cgracia12cgracia12 Alum Member
    737 karma

Haha! Did the writing section prompt remind anybody of House of Cards? lol

• liza.bennettliza.bennett Alum Member
    108 karma

So I am curious how you know the real sections from experimental. I personally had 3 LR, 1 LG, 1RC. I couldn't tell you specifics if I wanted because I don't remember, it was such a huge blur. Anyone's head still spinning when they think about it to much?

• succulentsncsucculentsnc Free Trial Member
    49 karma

@ramster1 said:
    One of our proctors fell asleep in the back and started to snore really loudly during one of our sections, and the other had her cell phone go off during the second testing section. I took the June test at another location and the proctors were way more professional. But I don't think it was too distracting overall, just a bit surprising.

LR, RC, LG, LR, LG. LR & RC pretty straightforward. Panicked a bit on the LG's, unfortunately, so it's down to how well I forced out unvetted answers in the mad final few minutes. I'm guessing the LG will probably push my score below my target :( But we shall see..

I hope many of you are pleasantly surprised in Jan.! Glad it's over.

hi there. I think we are on the same boat. I also did RC-LR-LG, break, LG-LR. Under performed both LG section (didn't finish either) and did worse on the first LG section, when time called there were about 5-6 left unanswered.sadly i saw most posts saying the first one was real so felt really depressed.

What happened is what happened the only thing we can do now is to move on. already registered for the Feb one and let's rock it!!

• succulentsncsucculentsnc Free Trial Member
    49 karma

@DawnHenry said:
    I’m really down about today. I was really confident going in and felt the first two sections went ok (RC and LR)..a little short of time at the end of each and had to rush a little, but nothing horrible. Then I got the LG section with the floors and it just went south. I probably only got about half of that whole section. When I saw the second LG after the break (fruit one) I was happy, thinking the first one had to be the experimental. I did better on the second one but not as well as I’d like. Last LR was ok.

Disappointed that the 1st LG was the real one. I have no idea how I did overall, but suspect I’m going to be unhappy. Ugh

same here. screwed the first LG and was panic during the break. saw the second LG after the break and thought it was the real one. felt happy until i checked these posts and turned out the one i did worse was the real one. i didn't finish either of the open/close game and the floor game damn haha

8392 karma

@TheoryandPractice said:
    @"Leah M B" my exact thoughts on the dolphins Q. I couldn't understand what it was saying for the life of me. Buildings? under water? What?

Right?! I had no idea how to even guess at an answer when I have literally no idea what you are talking about. I'm going to assume that at least part of that is because it was in my section 5. Ugh. At least I'm not alone! haha

• saf_5029saf_5029 Free Trial Member
    edited December 2017 19 karma

I also took both June and September, and guessed both curves correctly :) That being said, I thought this LG section was extremely easy, and to hear that most people thought the 8 floor game was hard, which usually translates into a larger curve.

RC was definitely one of the easier sections in recent history, so that doesn't seem to point to a larger curve, but I have one more point to make.

The LR, to me personally, seemed very difficult, on par with September, which were a lvl 3 and lvl 4 difficulty by 7sage metrics.

My initial feeling after the exam was a -12 curve, but I wouldn't rule out the potential of a -13 also based on others feeling that game 4 was "weird" game. I'll assign probabilities of:
    -12: 60%
    -13: 25%
    -11: 10%
    Other: 5%

edited December 2017 756 karma

@"Leah M B" said:

I know we can't go too in depth but... buildings? In water? Were they building something in water?? I could not understand what they were saying!! I really want my test back so I can re-read that with a fresh brain and see if it makes any sense.

And I feel you, I screwed up timing in RC on the real section, thought I had a minute or two left and ended up not bubbling in for the last 2 questions at all. I wouldn't have gotten to finish them anyway, but was kicking myself for not at least getting something bubbled in. It just was glaring at me. Arghhhh.

I think it was talking about allowing building permits (could be for things like a pipeline, or a pier, or an oyster farm, etc) in shallow water on a coastline and whether or not that would be detrimental to a dolphin habitat. If that helps. That's how I read it anyway, but I think you might be right that they worded it in such a way that you would envision actual buildings being built in shallow water.

And oh no! That sucks. I had a timing problem on the last LR but in the opposite direction. I thought I only had five minutes left when I really had ten, so I sped through the last few problems. That probably cost me on at least one. I tried to go back and re-read them with the extra time but obviously rushing through a question twice is not as good as not rushing once.

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

Was the question in LR about 'being generous' real?

756 karma

@TheMikey said:

I don't think so...?

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

@"Mitchell-1" said:

@TheMikey said:

I don't think so...?

hmm ok, might've been my exp then.

• agparkinsonagparkinson Free Trial Member
    4 karma

What does a -12/-11 etc. curve mean exactly?

756 karma

@agparkinson said:

It means how many questions you can miss and get a 170+

• g00g00shg00g00sh Member
    119 karma

@"liza.bennett" said:
    So I am curious how you know the real sections from experimental. I personally had 3 LR, 1 LG, 1RC. I couldn't tell you specifics if I wanted because I don't remember, it was such a huge blur. Anyone's head still spinning when they think about it to much?

You can tell the real from the experimental by Step 1) counting how many sections you had and figuring out which one must be extra (which you already figured out, it's one of your LR sections) and then Step 2) looking at what others who did NOT have an extra LR reported for the topics on THEIR LR questions. You should recognize all the question topics that that set of people describes, and your experimental section will be the one that they didn't have.

I think the term "experimental" is a misnomer though. I also had three LR sections, and I was sure during the test administration that the one with the Greek tablet was the experimental one, due to the strange nature of the stimuli and the "most AC's seem wrong" vibe of the answer choices. The LR section I had that WAS experimental was very run-of-the-mill and routine imo.

• tylerdschreur10tylerdschreur10 Alum Member
    1465 karma

@"Mitchell-1" said:

@agparkinson said:

It means how many questions you can miss and get a 170+

To add on, it's typically 10 or 11. So the June test was -9 I believe, which means the test was considered easy and therefore there was a small margin for error in order to get 170+.
    So if Dec 2 was a -12 or 13 that would signify a slightly tougher test. Which means a little bit more forgiving if you made some mistakes.

• william3.truongwilliam3.truong Free Trial Member
    10 karma

Hey all,

I took the test in Montreal, Canada.
    I'm part of those who got LR - RC - LR - LR - LG

There seems doubt about whether there were different versions of the test; meaning that for those who got 3 LRs, PERHAPS someone's first LR was someone else's 2nd or 3rd LR.
    Now this is my first time taking the test, so I can't say whether this could happen or not.

I unfortunately cannot remember the specific questions associated to each LR section, and so I ask according to the "Real/Experimental" discussion, can anyone confirm which LR sections these came from?

LR:
    -Mosquitoes and Leaves
    -Potato Insects
    -Whistleblower
    -Birds Feigning Injury

As far as I'm concerned, the first LR section was harder than the next two.

• isarap_mchisarap_mch Free Trial Member
    23 karma

@akistotle said:
    Hey guys,

I just took the LSAT in Asia. I had two RC sections and I’m trying to identify which one was experimental.

Did any one of you who took the test in Asia have a passage on George Balanchine (baller choreographer)?

Hey I did! That was on my exam too but I took it in Europe. What were your other passages?

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9372 karma

@isarap_mch said:

@akistotle said:
    Hey guys,

I just took the LSAT in Asia. I had two RC sections and I’m trying to identify which one was experimental.

Did any one of you who took the test in Asia have a passage on George Balanchine (baller choreographer)?

Hey I did! That was on my exam too but I took it in Europe. What were your other passages?

It seems like the European one and the Asian one are different, but we know for sure that the section with the George Balanchine passage was experimental.

• edited December 2017 179 karma

So this is a rough synopsis of real LR Qs listed by section (25Qs v. 26Qs)—for those of you that also had 3 LR sections.

I used forums from reddit and powerscore, and this thread to make this list.

LR 25Q Section:
    FIRST QUESTION—Mayor Getting Re-Elected (prodevelopment)
    Movie Review, misunderstanding
    Nuclear Fusion of Atoms/Heat
    Roman emperor Caligula… inaccurate
    Used vs new cars; 5k vs 18k
    Black/White Camoflage
    Copper Tools and Canoes (birch bark canoes)

LR 26Q Section:
    FIRST QUESTION—Tilapia Fish
    Indian Spice/Alzheimer's Disease
    Sensing Tornadoes
    Ancient Greek Character Reading Oracle's Tablet… reject a statement
    Vacuuming an uncarpeted area
    Herbal Medicines that Become Harmful
    Global warming/reducing fossil fuel dependence (#25 or 26)
    7pm and 6pm "Quorum"

REAL LR Qs, Section undetermined:
    T. Rex
    Poems and paraphrasing
    Two towns with different temps and utility bills
    Herniated Disks
    Dolphin Habitat
    Raising Prices by 25 Cents
    Ted/Tatiana (supervisor and employee pay/replacement)
    Fish with Fingers.. Not unsusal to have diverse qualities
    Firemen putting out forest fires
    Prehistoric humans with spears/tools (Hammer v Spear?)

EXPERIMENTAL LR Qs
    Bank Employees being innocent b/c they completed their projects
    Caffeine (coffee v tea)
    Coding computers
    TMAO and supplements (meat eaters vs vegetarians)

• LSATSurvivorLSATSurvivor Alum Member
    228 karma

I took it in Taiwan. Had two RC sections (first and third), f***.

However, one of the RC passages was about how science and non-science people see paranormal phenomena. It's actually quite interesting tho! haha.

• preiprei Free Trial Member
    edited December 2017 12 karma

I can give a pretty clear rundown of how the test went for me:
    Order: RC, LR (25), LG, RC (experimental), LR (26 – hardest section)

RC coming out of the gate was not optimal for me. I’ve drilled RC’s for (-1) but that ranges up to (-7) on a bad section and the 1st section of the day is rarely the best section of the day. I’ve realized that IF I miss a Main Point Q on a passage I’ll miss (-3) or (-4) on that passage total. (-0) or (-1) is standard on any passage which I don’t miss a MP, and usually that has to come from a tough inference. The Multiverse passage #2 is the one that’s keeping me up at night, the comparative passage 3rd was nothing compared with September's, and the 4th passage was fine but just a bit more difficult and convoluted (typical theory-based late passage). Overall a fine RC in terms of difficulty, just bummed I got hit with it out of the gate.

The 25 Q LR section 2nd was solid. Nothing too unusual and they were kind to give us a || Flaw in the 1st 10 Q’s (meaning that I knew there was no || Flaw coming at Q 25 or anything). There were plenty of na’s, Flaws and inferences so nothing unexpected. Can't remember 1 sa which is sad. Less late inferences than I thought there might be, but they were still there (I think the 1 I skipped from this section for my timing purposes was a Q 22 Must Be False that looked like a monster). A late Role Q at 20 stood out — they usually make those tricky in the answer choices. I've also been laughing at how often I've read about the dolphin assumption Q at 24 - no friggin clue there. I also remember a nice || Q late and a good amount of str/wk late but no Eval!! So, generally, the 25 Q LR was about as good as one could’ve hoped for.

The LG section 3rd was a bummer for me because I’m absolutely fired and ready to dominate during the 3rd section and LG is by far my strongest (so I was hoping for the 26 LR or an RC). Games 1 and 2 were a breeze and I’m not just saying that because I get -0’s on Analytical, but game 1 was the nicest selection/sequencing hybrid game you’ll ever see and game 2 was a kind little 5 entity sequencer. Game 3 was admittedly difficult –> lot of Formal Logic to keep track of and the open/closed aspect added an element to track but made for an easy rule sub Q. Game 4 was the most unusual with them giving us 8 entities and those entities being numbers rather than letters. There was one crucial rule to keep track of with the 3 before the 7 before the 5 and the 4 working around the 3 and the 5 (hopefully that’s general enough not to warrant a removal of this comment thread). All in all, LG was expectedly fine. 2 rule sub Q’s probably made some people mad.

4th section was the experimental RC. Probably the easiest 1st 2 passages I've ever seen and I basically started thinking about the upcoming 26 LR.

The 26 LR was a monster. I’m sure you guys with LR as your strongest were fine with it, but it was definitely no breeze. I can remember a tough inference at Q12 that told me I wasn't in Kansas anymore, a Flaw at 15 which got me, an inf at Q18 about the T-rex which was tough (lot of Formal Logic to play out), a late MoA at 20 which they often make tricky and no friendliness this time with the || at 23 and the || Flaw at 26.

That’s a lot to digest, but should be pretty helpful to compare your experience with. I generally score range between (-3) to (-6) on LR while leaving 1-2 on timing. I have a bigger range for RC from (-1) to (-7) which is why I’m nervous about that 1st RC section. LG generally (-0). Happy finals

• patricia.handramanpatricia.handraman Free Trial Member
    4 karma

@Hannah56 said:
    International Test Taker here.
    Got 2 LGs - one has an invistgator of a rumor. The other one artifacts being examined. I hope the artifacts one is experimental coz it was TOUGH.
    RC - 1- use of computer software in English courtroom
    2- Chemistry dependence on Physics
    3- one about hand-woven textiles by African tribes.
    4- Music in the middle ages

Hi, International test taker here too :) would this mean that this RC was not experimental? I got two RCs and performed worse on this one than on the other one. The one LG I got was something with centuries; games were significantly harder than what I was used to.

• evangamzevangamz Free Trial Member
    6 karma

Trying desperately to figure out which of my LR sections was experimental. Those of you who had only two LR sections: do you remember having a Justify question about how kids aren't going to grow up to be into literature b/c of the prevalence of T.V.?

• PaperJournalPaperJournal Member
    6 karma

@evangamz said:
    Trying desperately to figure out which of my LR sections was experimental. Those of you who had only two LR sections: do you remember having a Justify question about how kids aren't going to grow up to be into literature b/c of the prevalence of T.V.?

I think I remember this one, and I had only two LRs. Fairly positive it's real.

• sbzan25sbzan25 Alum Member
    42 karma

The test is a blur! Lol I'm blanking on the different questions from LG... but I had 2 sections also, and in one of them there was a question about 'leakages' or 'leaks.' I believe it was the last question of the section. Do either of you remember if that section was the real or experimental?

@Hannah56 said:

@oberdysz said:
    Second lg was in/out with groups. Kind of hard for second game but still ok! The indian spice LR section was real

I got 2 LGs as well. Do u remember either artifacts or rumor game?!

• Vern8892Vern8892 Free Trial Member
    18 karma

@PaperJournal said:

@evangamz said:

I think I remember this one, and I had only two LRs. Fairly positive it's real.

I remember this one!

• Vern8892Vern8892 Free Trial Member
    18 karma

I had 1 games, 1 reading passage section and 3 reasoning....

• m.c lshopefulm.c lshopeful Alum Member
    614 karma

@wuxinyi9512 said:

@alykdesire said:
    Does anyone know if the poem paraphrase question/section was real?

Is this in LR? I remember this one. I only had two LR so I think this is real

I only had 2 LR's. The question with the circular reasoning about the lit. critics and accurately paraphrasing a poem is in the real section.

756 karma

@"mickey.caleb" said:

@wuxinyi9512 said:

@alykdesire said:
    Does anyone know if the poem paraphrase question/section was real?

Is this in LR? I remember this one. I only had two LR so I think this is real

I only had 2 LR's. The question with the circular reasoning about the lit. critics and accurately paraphrasing a poem is in the real section.

Ugh, don't remind me :-p

• lawchoolpilawchoolpi Free Trial Member
    20 karma

Hi guys,

Does anyone who had only 2LR sections remember the question about parents' responsibilities to their children? I think it was a PSA question.

Thanks!

• saturnsunsaturnsun Free Trial Member
    156 karma

Does anyone remember an LR question about people saying "I am in pain"?

• lawchoolpilawchoolpi Free Trial Member
    20 karma

@"gillian.s.hawley" said:
    Does anyone remember an LR question about people saying "I am in pain"?

hmm.. doesn't ring a bell. do you remember any other part of the question?

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

How do you guys remember all this crap? lol, I can remember the RC passages and 2 LG. No specific questions other than 1 in LR that really tripped me up. How do you do it? Everything was such a blur.