Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Low Score on Dec LSAT- Is the February LSAT too late for apps? Help!!

dhanneetdhanneet Alum Member
edited January 2015 in General 138 karma
Hi everyone!

So I got my score yesterday and am incredibly disappointed since it was substantially lower than what I was getting on practice tests. I have already registered for the February LSAT and plan on writing it because I have already submitted my applications for the 2015.

From the research that I've done, writing in February really doesn't put me in the greatest place considering that most acceptances are already sent out by the time the law schools will get my February scores and review my applications. I should also note that I applied to all of the Canadian law schools (who especially recommend writing earlier than February of the year you want acceptance) and US law schools (who seem to be a bit more flexible with the February LSAT because of the rolling admissions).

I was just wondering if anyone has any insight or advice of what I should do. I really don't want to delay another year of applying and this will be my last time writing the lsat so I need to make it count and if I only have a 5% chance of getting in, I may as well just wait until June to write it.

Comments

• jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    depends... if you feel you can score what you need in Feb go for it, BUT I would say thats more if your current score will get you in where you want for Feb to be negotiation $ otherwise I would seriously weigh withdrawing and sitting out a cycle as much as it stinks, this is your future ur talking about
  • danballinger5danballinger5 Alum Member
    198 karma
    Feb 1st is the deadline for many of the schools I am applying to. If you're relying on your Feb score to get you into a better school, your options will be limited as the window to apply may have closed. If all the schools you are applying to have rolling admissions, then taking the February test may get you the score you desire.

@jdawg13 is right on the mark when he says, "this is your future ur talking about". No one wants to sit around for another year stressing about getting into law school. But, if you don't think your Dec score is an accurate reflection of your potential, take the June test and apply earlier next year.

Waiting until next year can provide other advantages to getting into the school of your choice. You can spend the next 6 months or so doing something that will look awesome on a personal statement, resume, diversity statement, etc., such as volunteer work.
  • mjjohns6mjjohns6 Member
    418 karma
    If you take the Feb LSAT would you have enough time to prep for it?
  • mes08mes08 Alum Member
    578 karma
    I agree with @danballinger5 and @jdawg13. Taking the test in June gives you a solid chunk of time to prepare to the best of your ability and your chances of scholarship and admissions will increase if you apply early next cycle. If you retake in Feb, that puts you in a bad situation all around and probably won't give you enough time to study.

As for having already prepared your essays/applications, that's not a good enough reason to apply now when your score doesn't reflect your potential. Save your work and reuse it when you reapply next cycle.
  • seglen512seglen512 Free Trial Member
    14 karma
    I have a question related to this thread:

I'm in the same boat, and I know this is minor, but if I choose to start over with my applications next cycle, will my letters of rec and transcripts stay in my CAS report? I'm really hoping I can just keep my LSAC account active and that I won't have to go through that whole process (and $$$ for CAS) all over again.
    2654 karma
    yes
  • dhanneetdhanneet Alum Member
    edited January 2015 138 karma
    Thanks for the input everyone!

@Seglen512, I was wondering the same thing! I really want to avoid having to ask for reference letters all over again...have you been able to find out if they'll stay valid?
  • meowcat666meowcat666 Alum Member
    edited January 2015 11 karma
    i'm in the same boat @dhanneet and @seglen512. as far as i know, for canadian schools, the letters are no longer valid. personally, i can't spend another year of my life on this. i'm 25 (female) and i feel like i'll be too old once i finish, so i need to get into any school ASAP. i think i'm just going to force myself to do well on the february... is this a good strategy?
    2654 karma
    @meowcat666 25 is not all that late to start LS relatively speaking... and if forcing you to do good means u can make urself get 170+ obvi good strategy but dont settle
  • meowcat666meowcat666 Alum Member
    11 karma
    @jdawg113, i'll be 26 if i were to start this september, so i'll be 29 when i finish. personally, having children is another one of my top life priorities and, as a female, i do have to think about my decreasing fertility. my goal has never been to make a lot of money nor to work for "big law," so i'm willing to settle for a good lsat score and an OK school.
  • joegotbored-1joegotbored-1 Alum Member
    edited January 2015 802 karma
    FWIW, my mom didn't start law school until she was 28. She had me in her mid 30s after having my brother in her early 30s and my little sister came along shortly thereafter. She's still practicing law today.

You can do anything you put your mind to. Try not to focus on arbitrary deadlines, just take the test when you're ready.
    2654 karma
    I'm more just putting it out there that theres a large number of people who dont even start LS until theyre 28/29+ (male & female) Obviously you have your goals, priorities and such so do what you want. Was more saying bc a lot of people think they NEED to rush into it bc they are "old" and settle for schools and scores that they could do better than
  • seglen512seglen512 Free Trial Member
    edited January 2015 14 karma
    @dhanneet rec letters from this cycle are totally valid for next cycle, but I'm speaking more about 2nd tier schools, not sure about the rest
  • danballinger5danballinger5 Alum Member
    198 karma
    I'm going back to law school after withdrawing in 2011. I'll be 37 in 3 weeks. I could get hit by a bus tomorrow or live to be 102. Either way, I make today count.

My LSAT score expired last year. Other than that, everything else is still on file at LSAC.
  • helloitsdianahelloitsdiana Alum Member
    edited January 2015 67 karma
    @meowcat666 I understand the whole pressure to get to school now rather than later because of wanting to start a family. I am 25 and have been married for 2 years.
    My advice to you is to ensure that your score is a true testament to your ability. If you take the test and get your score back and know in your heart you can do better I think postponing for a year makes sense. Children and family will come eventually but I think a great school that will propel you in the career of your choice is what is most important. Plus a great score will bring in scholarship offers which will save you money in the long haul.
    Lastly, I think as women we have the additional worry of fertility and such. Believe me I know! A lot of my friends already have babies and I am sitting here like-I am just trying to get a good LSAT score. The struggle is real but it will be worth it in the end. If you postpone or not! Good luck I hope this helps!
  • LeoFiro8LeoFiro8 Alum Member
    244 karma
    Ok this is all gravy, I'm on the same level; 25, just took the December LSAT but asked LSAC for more time to cancel and they gave me until the 10th which is in 2 days, This was my first time taking the LSAT ever and I have a 3.1 GPA, I am NOT planning on taking the February Test because (1. there are less seats. 2. there is less scholarship money.). If I don't apply with my December score ( which i still have not retrieved/ still debating to cancel) then i would have to take June and apply early next semester which would be great because i would be right on time early ready to apply with a better score this time. ( I am not in a hurry to get in but i would like to start sooner the better ) MY QUESTION...Would it look better on my application to have a lets say 145 first try and then a 159 second try OR, a Canceled first try and a 159 second try. Please shed some light on this if anyone has anything to help!?
  • ddakjikingddakjiking Inactive ⭐
    2116 karma
    @LeoFiro8
    How is that possible? Scores were already released on Jan 1...
    2654 karma
    @licknee10 come on man, use ur head, (s)he prob either asked them to hold or something caused a temp hold that (s)he extended
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    I am going with the Feb LSAT and applying, because it seems applications are really down this year. I hope to knock it out of the park, but I will be applying to many schools "blind" as I wont know my score. BUT I will take the June test if needed, and a few schools I spoke to said if I was admitted or waitlisted they would considered a June Score for more $$. That tells me I might as well go for it now. If they see you test well, I think they will "find" the money!