Second LSAT - Cancel or risk score?

kayyyy95kayyyy95 Alum Member

Hey guys! Just looking for any and all advice you can give me regarding the below:

I just took the December LSAT and I felt okay about it until I found out that what I thought was my experimental LG section was actually the real scored section. For reference, LG is usually my best section (max I've gotten is -3 on LG). On this test, one LG section seemed relatively normal and I finished on time, while the other LG section I was completely confused and ended up randomly bubbling in about 6-8 questions. Naturally, I assumed that was the experimental section but retrospectively, I must have just been REALLY off my game for that section (granted, I have been/currently am pretty sick, but trying not to use that as an excuse).

So my question is - Should I cancel this score? For reference, I took the test once already last year and got a 160. Before this Dec test, I was PT'ing in mid to high 160s, with BR scores in mid to high 170s (I'm pretty sure it's a timing issue, so going into this test I was already considering taking it a third time because I know I can still improve). Now I think I should cancel my score, because best case scenario (somehow the answer for every question on one of the logic games is 'C' and I somehow don't lose too much on LG), my score will still likely not be where I want/what I know I'm capable of. Worst case scenario, I do much worse on this test and get a lower score than last time (which is very likely because I don't feel confident that I did well enough on RC/LR to offset this poor LG section). My thought process is what's the point in having a worse score on my record if even the potential benefit of a best case scenario score is still not where I want it to be?

I'm really leaning towards cancelling because I'm 99% sure I'm going to take it again, but I would greatly appreciate any and all advice/experiences about cancelling (mostly if there are any repercussions in doing so in terms of my future applications).

Thank you in advance, and if you took the December test as well, congratulations on making it and good luck!!

Comments

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

I almost always recommend against cancelling.

I didn't cancel on my first test when I didn't finish logic games and wound up with a 172. I regularly struggled to finish games sections at the time though.

I think you make a good case for cancelling. If you didn't do better on LR and RC missing 5 or 6 questions on games will significantly effect your score. It seems many people struggled with the games though so there could be a somewhat more generous curve.

A low score won't hurt you much since schools take the highest score. And a high score will help a lot. That's the argument against cancelling. That said, if you know there is no chance of a high enough score and a high chance of a low one, cancelling can probably be justified.

It's a tough call, but it is your call.
    Regardless, good luck!

• kayyyy95kayyyy95 Alum Member
    95 karma

@"Seeking Perfection" Thanks for the advice. I gave myself a few days to think it over rationally, and I think I'm going to cancel my score. Like you said, a high score would help a lot but I'm feeling pretty confident that at best, this new score might be a few points higher than my first test. I have no idea why I had such a hard time with the games when normally I have little to no problem completing them on time. No matter what, I'm taking the test again because I know this Dec test was not reflective of my true abilities.

That said, do you think I would have to write an addendum to explain why I cancelled my score? I've heard that's not necessary for just one cancellation, but I'm worried law schools will consider a cancellation to be worse than just a low score. I know in the big picture, when considering the rest of the application, neither a cancellation nor a lower score on second retake will be all that significant, but just trying to consider all potential consequences before making a decision.

Thanks again for your feedback!

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

@kayyyy95
    I'm no expert, but it seems to me that the addendum wouldn't hurt.

People generally advise against them(seemingly on the grounds that they make no difference), but I'm leaning toward writing one for my 8 point increase. It seems that as long as you keep it short and to the point it could help a little, but probably will have no impact. To me, that is a reason to write an addendum.

• acsimonacsimon Alum Member
    1269 karma

How imperative is it that you apply this cycle?

95 karma

@"Seeking Perfection" That makes sense. Basically it's not necessary but could only help, if anything.

@acsimon I'm not applying this cycle, I'm planning to apply next cycle (which is why I have a bit more time to actually make this next retake worthwhile). I just wanted to get started with the LSAT as early as I could.

• acsimonacsimon Alum Member
    1269 karma

Ah, yeah. I would say that canceling is more reasonable then. The only thing that I would add is to make sure that you sign up for either the June/Sept administrations (I'm not sure how they are going to change these going forward, so I'm assuming the current calendar of administrations in making this comment) so that you have time to retake one more time just in case you don't get the score you want. But good luck!--A.c.S

95 karma

@acsimon Thanks, that's what I was thinking too. I officially just canceled so can't go back now! Good luck to you too.

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    3072 karma

@kayyyy95 said:
    @acsimon Thanks, that's what I was thinking too. I officially just canceled so can't go back now! Good luck to you too.

I think you made the right call. Good luck on your studies.