Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I even apply this year?

I graduated last June and took the December test, short story is I am 95% sure that I did poorly. I am currently registered for the February test.I have called the schools I am interested in applying and they said that I will still be in consideration even after February. They will just hold my application while they wait for my February results. I am not applying for any scholarship money, since I am well aware its too late to even apply. But is it too late to apply to law school with the February LSAT result?
I have read people saying that most admission spots will be filled, and this is highly discouraging... Why the heck would the school even take my application (and money) if they already filled their roster for 2018...

Comments

• L.EtrangerL.Etranger Alum Member
    edited December 2017 72 karma

Bump. I'm a fellow 2017 grad and curious about this as well...

It feels like failure to push law school down the road another year.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited December 2017 23929 karma

@PandaRamen said:
    I graduated last June and took the December test, short story is I am 95% sure that I did poorly. I am currently registered for the February test.I have called the schools I am interested in applying and they said that I will still be in consideration even after February. They will just hold my application while they wait for my February results. I am not applying for any scholarship money, since I am well aware its too late to even apply. But is it too late to apply to law school with the February LSAT result?
    I have read people saying that most admission spots will be filled, and this is highly discouraging... Why the heck would the school even take my application (and money) if they already filled their roster for 2018...

Well, there's always going to be spots and scholarship increases for people with the right scores. For the schools that accept Feb scores, yeah, it's worth applying.

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    edited December 2017 3072 karma

You're not a failure if you take a year or two off. HYS are huge on taking students that have been graduated for at least 2-3 years, and there's a legitimate reason for that. 25-year-olds, on the whole, tend to be better students than even people who are only a couple years younger. (Blame your brains, youngins.)

• 193 karma

I took almost 20 years off before applying for law school, and I don't consider it a failure. But, you really don't know how you did on your test. I would just chill the anxiety a bit, and breathe. If you feel like you need to continue studying, and preparing for February, that is awesome. If you need to wait another year, that'll be OK. It always works out.
    Alex is right though, it's about scholarship money, not actual numbers of who they will admit. But, even then, I've heard an Admissions Officer say they will not only make room for, but pay for students with the scores that bump up their averages. It just depends on the school, and of course your score.

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    edited December 2017 3072 karma

I tried to do something similar to what you're doing right now. I tried to rush my applications, essentially. When February rolled around and I still wasn't confident enough to take my LSAT, I changed my mind really quickly. There are so many benefits to taking the summer to improve your LSAT score, and even more benefits to applying to schools early in the admissions cycle.

Your personal statement alone should take you AT LEAST a few weeks to draft, if you're really busting your ass. That puts you even further behind because of how difficult it is to study effectively for the LSAT while also giving your statement everything it deserves.

Take the year. You'll know it was the right decision eventually.