Has Anyone Received a Fee Waiver from Boston University/Cornell?

Sarah889Sarah889 Alum Member
edited October 2017 in Law School Admissions 877 karma

Hi All,

BU does not accept merit-based application fee waiver requests (as they've expressed to me via email), and neither does Cornell based on my understanding from their website. They utilize your stats from CRS. However, my numbers put me in the high 75th percentile at BU and, for Cornell, my LSAT score puts me in the high 75th percentile and my GPA puts me in the 50th percentile. I don't know what these schools have determined as their range regarding who receives merit-based fee waivers, but if anyone else has further information about this, I would appreciate it. For example, has anyone received merit-based fee waivers from these schools yet and, if so, would you mind sharing your numbers or when you got the offer?

These 2 schools are the only schools who have not offered me a merit-based fee waiver with the exception of my 2 reach schools.

Comments

• Victoria14Victoria14 Alum Member
    776 karma

I believe I saw a few people getting fee waivers from Cornell at a law school fair two weeks ago, but don't hold me to that. I was sorta running around like a chicken.

• AllezAllez21AllezAllez21 Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    1917 karma

I got the Cornell waiver on Oct 20.

177/~3.8

Don't think I got one from BU, but I don't intend on applying there so I may have just deleted it.

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

I got waivers from BU and Cornell. GPA: 3.8+ but LSAT not that great.

• Sarah889Sarah889 Alum Member
    877 karma

@TheMikey @AllezAllez21 Maybe they come in waves then? Because my numbers should get me one, based one what you both are telling me.

@TheMikey when did you get yours?

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

@Sarah889 said:
    @TheMikey @AllezAllez21 Maybe they come in waves then? Because my numbers should get me one, based one what you both are telling me.

@TheMikey when did you get yours?

about a week ago

• shicks220shicks220 Alum Member
    16 karma

I'm above both 75th's at BU and tried unsuccessfully to solicit back in August (I took the LSAT in June but didn't turn on CRS until August). Still haven't gotten a fee waiver.

I received a Cornell fee waiver on September 14.

• seth.reidseth.reid Free Trial Member
    49 karma

Yeah, I've been looking for a BU one for a while, but nothing. A few points above 75th percentile LSAT

• Sarah889Sarah889 Alum Member
    877 karma

@seth.reid @shicks220 It is confusing to me...I have fee waivers from schools like Columbia but not BU? I can't figure out how these schools determine who to grant them to.

• jhall3178jhall3178 Alum Member
    2 karma

3.71 / 168, received BU waiver on 10/13. I do live in the region. Haven't seen anything from Cornell.

• KayyyyyyyKayyyyyyy Free Trial Member
    346 karma

The fee waivers don't seem to be based on only stats alone. I've seen threads where people who have both lower LSAT scores and lower GPAs than me are getting fee waivers I didn't receive. I'm not sure entirely how it works. I did get Cornell's and not BU.

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    edited December 2017 3072 karma

@Kayyyyyyy said:
    The fee waivers don't seem to be based on only stats alone. I've seen threads where people who have both lower LSAT scores and lower GPAs than me are getting fee waivers I didn't receive. I'm not sure entirely how it works. I did get Cornell's and not BU.

Diversity is a HUGE consideration for top law schools, it seems to me.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

I got one from Cornell in August with with just under a 3.8. It was before my retake so my LSAT was a 172.

I'm not URM.
    I did make sure to list New York as a state I was interested in. I did that for the states of all the schools I wanted to apply to.

I do not believe I have recieved a fee waiver from BU, although they are not a school I was considering so I might have missed it. Maybe they use the fee as a sort of yield protection for good applicants.

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    edited December 2017 5320 karma

@"Seeking Perfection"

I did make sure to list New York as a state I was interested in. I did that for the states of all the schools I wanted to apply to.

Do you know how to update this info within LSAC? I am trying to figure it out now but so far, no luck.

EDIT: found it! nvm.

• dml277dml277 Alum Member
    775 karma

@jkatz1488 said:
    @"Seeking Perfection"

Do you know how to update this info within LSAC? I am trying to figure it out now but so far, no luck.

EDIT: found it! nvm.

Could you please share where you found it? I've been trying to look for it on my account with no luck...

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

@dml277

Could you please share where you found it? I've been trying to look for it on my account with no luck...

Log in --> My Account (upper right) --> Candidate Referral Service --> Edit CRS Preferences (1/4 down the page just beneath "Financial Obligation")

• dml277dml277 Alum Member
    775 karma

@jkatz1488 said:
    Log in --> My Account (upper right) --> Candidate Referral Service --> Edit CRS Preferences (1/4 down the page just beneath "Financial Obligation")

Thank you!