Query failed: connection to 172.31.3.4:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Diversity Statement Advice Please? - 7Sage Forum

Diversity Statement Advice Please?

LauraC829LauraC829 Alum Member
edited December 2017 in Law School Admissions 218 karma

My PS already touches upon most of my diversity factors (immigrant, minority, first-generation college graduate) so I'm a bit lost on what to write for my diversity statement so that I don't sound repetitive. I have two ideas but not sure if they really work well:

1. My Catholic upbringing/faith and studying at Jesuit university and how this has shaped my values/outlook

2. Being raised by a single mother and having to work throughout all of high school and college to help support myself and how this taught me to be independent

Thoughts on whether these topics could make good diversity statements? Thank you!

Comments

• sbc.mom_3xsbc.mom_3x Alum Member
    1501 karma

I may be biased as I am a single mother, but I think the 2nd option is very inspiring. I've been told, the odds are against those in your position. So I think that is quite the adversity you overcome to be where you are. I imagine your mom is proud.

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    edited December 2017 4196 karma

I think they are both great options. The 2nd option seems well-suited to be a personal statement topic as well, imo!

I think trying out both topics and having 1 be your PS and the other be your DS could work! Other thoughts on this are welcome, but I think doing both may work for you :)

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    edited December 2017 3072 karma

Your P.S. is supposed to tell schools why you want to go to law school, and also how your life experiences have brought you to the point in your life where you want to go to law school.

Your D.S. is supposed to tell schools about how your life experience is somehow diverse, and how and what your diverse perspective will allow you to contribute to your cohort and their experience at law school.

This is a rough idea of the direction you should take both statements.

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

@goingfor99th said:
    Your P.S. is supposed to tell schools why you want to go to law school, and also how your life experiences have brought you to the point in your life where you want to go to law school.

Nah I don't think that necessarily has to be the case. In the 7sage admissions course he says that you don't have to explain why you want to go to law school/be a lawyer. I personally think it's nice to tie your PS topic to how it drives you to go into law at some point in your PS, but you definitely don't need to.

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    3072 karma

@TheMikey said:

@goingfor99th said:

Nah I don't think that necessarily has to be the case. In the 7sage admissions course he says that you don't have to explain why you want to go to law school/be a lawyer. I personally think it's nice to tie your PS topic to how it drives you to go into law at some point in your PS, but you definitely don't need to.

I would consider that a risk, personally, but I agree with him in the sense that it's not "necessary."

• StrangerThanFiction175StrangerThanFiction175 Free Trial Member
    99 karma

Have fun at Yale! Just kidding. Those are both great topics. If I had to pick, I would say go with the second. As @dytmom_3x pointed out, that would make also make a great adversity essay. There's also a good chance you'll get a mom on the admission comittee. In that case, you'll have an automatic ally!

• LauraC829LauraC829 Alum Member
    218 karma

@dytmom_3x said:
    I may be biased as I am a single mother, but I think the 2nd option is very inspiring. I've been told, the odds are against those in your position. So I think that is quite the adversity you overcome to be where you are. I imagine your mom is proud.

Thank you! :)

218 karma

@goingfor99th said:

Your D.S. is supposed to tell schools about how your life experience is somehow diverse, and how and what your diverse perspective will allow you to contribute to your cohort and their experience at law school.

This is a rough idea of the direction you should take both statements.

Thanks! This is helpful!

218 karma

@StrangerThanFiction175 said:
    Have fun at Yale! Just kidding. Those are both great topics. If I had to pick, I would say go with the second. As @dytmom_3x pointed out, that would make also make a great adversity essay. There's also a good chance you'll get a mom on the admission comittee. In that case, you'll have an automatic ally!

Hah I wish! Thank you! :)

218 karma

@TheMikey said:
    I think they are both great options. The 2nd option seems well-suited to be a personal statement topic as well, imo!

I think trying out both topics and having 1 be your PS and the other be your DS could work! Other thoughts on this are welcome, but I think doing both may work for you :)

Thanks!!

• cgracia12cgracia12 Alum Member
    737 karma

Second option seems like you can write more about and have the most leverage with. Good luck to you!