Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's your study ritual?

tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
in General 3679 karma

Let's admit it: studying sucks. What do you do to get hype and stay motivated? For me it's a trifecta: I put on my favorite hoodie from my dream school that I picked up on a visit last month, chew Orbit peppermint gum to keep me awake and listen to Bach in the background. What about you? :-)

Comments

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

I would always grade myself with a red and green pen. I now hate red pens, and constantly use green ones at work. Something about reinforced behavior? Lol

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

@LSATcantwin said:
    I would always grade myself with a red and green pen. I now hate red pens, and constantly use green ones at work. Something about reinforced behavior? Lol

ha!

• J.CHRIS.ALSTJ.CHRIS.ALST Alum Member
    edited December 2017 399 karma

Usually I study after an 8 hour workday on weekdays, which is tough. I know that JY has posted about trying to do it in the morning and that's something I plan on working towards. But somehow I manage to have solid sessions during the week, regardless.

Usually I come on to the forums and just start reading what people are saying on here. Before I know it I'm immersed in the argumentation, diagramming strategies, and reading tips and as minutes pass I don't even realize my transitioning into actual, zealous studying. Basically, I find the forums very motivating. The sense of community helps me a lot, I think.

Or - maybe it's just that phat coffee I pour before I start that makes me excited.
    (possible alternate cause)

The hardest part is getting started.

3679 karma

@"J.CHRIS.ALST" said:
    Usually I study after an 8 hour workday on weekdays, which is tough. I know that JY has posted about trying to do it in the morning and that's something I plan on working towards. But somehow I manage to have solid sessions during the week, regardless.

Usually I come on to the forums and just start reading what people are saying on here. Before I know it I'm immersed in the argumentation, diagramming strategies, and reading tips and as minutes pass I don't even realize my transitioning into actual, zealous studying. Basically, I find the forums very motivating. The sense of community helps me a lot, I think.

Or - maybe it's just that phat coffee I pour before I start that makes me excited.
    (possible alternate cause)

The hardest part is getting started.

First off: I love how you took us back to 1997 with usage of the word 'phat'

Second: Totally feel you on the discussion form motivation. Without everyone's input and tips, I'd be completely lost.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@tringo335 said:
    Let's admit it: studying sucks. What do you do to get hype and stay motivated? For me it's a trifecta: I put on my favorite hoodie from my dream school that I picked up on a visit last month, chew Orbit peppermint gum to keep me awake and listen to Bach in the background. What about you? :-)

Haha! I don't feel like studying has to suck ;)

My ritual is waking up before work and using the hours of 5am to 7am to prep. I look forward to it because the city is more quiet and no one is usually bothering me with texts/email/SnapChats, etc. Some days, I'll study when I get home and to get motivated or hyped, I usually just go on here or TLS and read about people being accepted into their dreams schools. Yup, that does it for me :)

3679 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@tringo335 said:

Haha! I don't feel like studying has to suck ;)

My ritual is waking up before work and using the hours of 5am to 7am to prep. I look forward to it because the city is more quiet and no one is usually bothering me with texts/email/SnapChats, etc. Some days, I'll study when I get home and to get motivated or hyped, I usually just go on here or TLS and read about people being accepted into their dreams schools. Yup, that does it for me :)

Dream school stories and 140s-170s stories are my FAVORITE lol

• tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    edited December 2017 2573 karma

@tringo335 get rid of the gum now because you can't have it during the test. Break that habit now! Is this just for studying? Or, do you do your PT with gum too?

3679 karma

@tanes256 said:
    @tringo335 get rid of the gum now because you can't have it during the test. Break that habit now! Is this just for studying? Or, do you do your PT with gum too?

Haha! That’s a good point not PTing yet but I’ll cut the habit before then

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9372 karma

I meditate before I study, but mindfulness meditation (Sam Harris one on the CC or Headspace app) can be boring sometimes (I'm not a very good meditator) so I look for motivational ones on Insight Timer....

I also go to Google map and Street view my dream school and imagine myself being there...lol

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    3072 karma

@akistotle said:
    I meditate before I study, but mindfulness meditation (Sam Harris one on the CC or Headspace app) can be boring sometimes (I'm not a very good meditator) so I look for motivational ones on Insight Timer....

I also go to Google map and Street view my dream school and imagine myself being there...lol

What do you think about box breathing? Have you ever tried it?

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9372 karma

@goingfor99th said:

@akistotle said:

No, I just Googled it and it looks good! Have you tried it? There seems to be only paid apps...

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    edited December 2017 3072 karma

@akistotle said:

@goingfor99th said:

@akistotle said:

No, I just Googled it and it looks good! Have you tried it? There seems to be only paid apps...

Yeah it works well for me. I breathe in for four seconds, hold for four, exhale for four, rest for four, repeat. It's tricky.

• supboardersupboarder Alum Member
    109 karma

I like to put on noise cancelling headphones so I am not distracted by outside noise. I also find that since I am stressed, i like gum and lots of chewable candies to get through the day. I also use an array of different color highlighters and sometimes attach post its to sections of the Power Score bibles I want to revisit. Lastly, if home I like to have my dog in my lap. That's mine.

• lTexlawzlTexlawz Free Trial Member
    277 karma

My study routine is a test every other day and study my LSAT outline. The next day I do LSAT exercises for each section and study my LSAT outline. I devote all my evenings to the LSAT. I have 2 hrs on Logical reasoning exercise with 10 questions for each question type. I do 7 seven reading comprehensions passages time and practice with notation with 1 1/2 hrs. I devote an hour to logic games. I make any questions I got wrong as a part of my LSAT exercises. I leave one day off to allow my brain to rest on Friday evening. I stay away from negative people and parties. I don't watch any television, tune out all of the political stuff and tune out all of the news, so I can focus. I listen to a lot of classical music. I am studying for June 2018 LSAT.

• lsatplaylistlsatplaylist Member
    5249 karma

What's the verdict: home, away from home, or a combination?

• usernameusername Alum Member
    edited December 2017 276 karma