Georgetown Individual Interview - How to Prepare?

Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
in General 3521 karma

Hey all,

I got an e-mail from Georgetown requesting a 1-on-1 interview with an alumni. First, is this a good sign? Does it mean I'm being strongly considered or that I'm a "marginal" candidate?

Second, for those of you that have done a Georgetown interview, what should I expect? What questions should I expect them to ask? And how should I prepare?

Thanks,

Paul

Comments

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    edited December 2017 3072 karma

An interview is a great sign, I've read.

Curious, how long ago did you submit?

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

@goingfor99th 2 weeks ago

3072 karma

@"Paul Caint" said:
    @goingfor99th 2 weeks ago

Awesome, that's fast!

3521 karma

Also like, what do I wear :smile: ?

3072 karma

@"Paul Caint" said:
    Also like, what do I wear :smile: ?

Wear a suit and tie. I would treat this like any other professional interview.

edited December 2017 3072 karma

I would imagine it's also a good idea to know your application in and out. Personally, I would want to know exactly what's on my resume and in my statements. I'd also make sure to have an anecdote or two ready to go if the interviewer decides to ask about my academic career and my experiences with my letter writers.

I'm sure there's more but that's where I would start. You really want to impress upon these people that you know where you're coming from, and, preferably, that your roots there run deep somehow. I don't strictly mean where you're coming from spatially/geographically, either.

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

I've heard mixed things that it's a good sign but it can also be an ehh sign.

I've seen a few people say that in the interview they were asked "why do you think you are here?" and they end up telling them that they are interviewing them because they are a borderline applicant.

But then I've seen some people with amazing numbers get interviews and then get accepted.

Just be prepared to talk about the usual interviews questions (why law, why GTown, etc.). And I agree with 99th in that you should know your app very well because they will most likely refer to it and ask a question regarding something within it.

good luck!

edited December 2017 3521 karma

@TheMikey Yeah that's what I've heard too. I'm at their median LSAT and well above their 75th percentile GPA though.

I think also because I'm a straight-out-of-undergrad applicant that they want to check my maturity.

• lsatplaylistlsatplaylist Live Member
    5249 karma

Yes, agreeing with @goingfor99th, and also if you can get to an office-like setting, that would be good, or if not that, then a tidy space--stage it. Also, get warmed up before and test your settings before you go live. And get plenty of sleep the night before. And ask if they have a student or recent grad you can speak with.

• tylerdschreur10tylerdschreur10 Alum Member
    1465 karma

Definitely go with a suit or something close to it for dress. You cannot overdress, you can definitely underdress!

I haven't done any interviews, but I would prepare for questions like, "Why do you want to go to Georgetown?" "Why law school/ Why do you want to be a lawyer?" "Where do you wee yourself 5/10 years after graduating?" etc

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"Paul Caint" said:
    @TheMikey Yeah that's what I've heard too. I'm at their median LSAT and well above their 75th percentile GPA though.

I think also because I'm a straight-out-of-undergrad applicant that they want to check my maturity.

Congrats!
    While interviews can sometimes be construed as a negative, I think this is a great sign given your stats... It would be one thing if you were below one of their medians, but being at one and above another bodes very well for you!

3521 karma

@"Alex Divine"

Thanks!

Yeah, I hope so. I couldn't see myself getting denied on numbers alone, but I also can't see myself being accepted on numbers alone either.

I think because I didn't write any of the optional essays, and because I'm a young applicant, they're trying to make sure Georgetown is a serious contender for me and that I'm mature.

Fingers crossed!

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

Not to hype this too much, but schools mostly interview for three reasons marginal candidates, yield protection, and to help determine scholarships.

It seems unlikely the first is at play. But either or both of the second two could be.

• jack.igoejack.igoe Member
    544 karma

I've read that reading up about your interviewer helps to prepare for an interview. Let us know how it goes! Good luck!

3521 karma

@"Seeking Perfection"

I think it's most likely yield protection imo. I don't think I demonstrated at all that Georgetown was a top pick for me (which it actually is lol, it's in my top 3). They're probably worried I was just someone who threw an app their way, especially since I didn't take the time to do the optional essay.

In terms of scholarships, meh? Idk I don't think I'm that great.

3521 karma

Hey I just wanted to bump this. According to a contact one pre-law advisor has in Georgetown's admissions office, historically 75% of applicants who were offered an individual interview were admitted. FYI.

• jack.igoejack.igoe Member
    544 karma

Have you had it yet? If so, how'd it go? If not, good luck!

3521 karma

@"jack.igoe" I have it Thursday! I'll make sure to bump this thread afterwards.