LG_CandideLG_Candide Alum Member
edited May 2018 in Law School Admissions 72 karma

Comments

• jzzravenjzzraven Alum Member
    140 karma

I'd think you can be playful so long as you are not being facetious

• Freddy_DFreddy_D Alum Member
    2983 karma

Like the Genie told Aladdin, "Be yourself" (within reason of course). It is another opportunity for you to show them who you are and how you think.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    edited September 2017 27820 karma

Personally, I'd say it really just depends. If you've got strong numbers for Stanford, I wouldn't take any risks. If it's a crazy reach, I'd gamble with something a little crazy.

@Freddy_D said:
    Like the Genie told Aladdin, "Be yourself" (within reason of course). It is another opportunity for you to show them who you are and how you think.

I believe what he said, actually, was "Bee yourself."
    http://www.newsmax.com/Newsmax/files/c8/c8e92578-63a5-4b4c-9a43-01acd493a9cd.jpg

• cbyrns21cbyrns21 Free Trial Member
    160 karma

At the end of the day you need to figure out a way to set yourself apart from the rest of the competition. Take every opportunity to showcase your "you"uniqueness. Stanford is known for their holistic approach to decision making. This is your time to shine!

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

@"Cant Get Right" said:
    Personally, I'd say it really just depends. If you've got strong numbers for Stanford, I wouldn't take any risks. If it's a crazy reach, I'd gamble with something a little crazy.

@Freddy_D said:

I believe what he said, actually, was "Bee yourself."
    http://www.newsmax.com/Newsmax/files/c8/c8e92578-63a5-4b4c-9a43-01acd493a9cd.jpg

Oh god... I have a bee phobia and that photo is my literal worst nightmare. ::shudder::

• tylerdschreur10tylerdschreur10 Alum Member
    1465 karma

Reviving this thread, because A) i'm trying to write these now, and Bee) I am dying to know if admissions officers actually adhere to the music recommendations they receive. They should! It would be so very Stanford of them, and oh man what a question for you psych majors! What music encourages positive evaluation and might increase our chances???

27820 karma

I’m working on the literary character one. Huckleberry Finn. Really tough. 250 words is either way too much or way too little to say anything.

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

I have spent way too much time on the three song essay...

• tylerdschreur10tylerdschreur10 Alum Member
    1465 karma

@"Cant Get Right" said:
    I’m working on the literary character one. Huckleberry Finn. Really tough. 250 words is either way too much or way too little to say anything.

I agree so strongly. I have the same problem with my Yale 250. I can't elaborate on anything in 250 words!!

• hlkoo1212hlkoo1212 Alum Member
    130 karma

is this new for this cycle? I thought they had this type optional essays before

27820 karma

@hlkoo1212 said:
    is this new for this cycle? I thought they had this type optional essays before

It’s not new, it’s just always sucked, lol. I actually think it’s a good length. The restriction is what makes it a valuable writing sample.

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

I know I'm late to this topic...but 100-250 is so hard! lol

• marcosmcqueenmarcosmcqueen Member
    edited January 2018 241 karma

I did a light hearted version of the three songs essay. Anyone who wants profundity in 250 words but doesn't give the option of a haiku is a fool and you should dismiss their school immediately. The pretentiousness of the Yale application was a serious turn off. I also think that the word limit encourages contractions and other informalities in the writing, which I took as a nod to be less formal in content as well. I'm nowhere near Stanford numbers so I wasn't running much risk as I'm pretty close to an auto-reject. They're unlikely to reject me twice in the same cycle.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

I think that light-hearted would work for these but maybe wouldn't foray into the neighborhood of goofy. Like maybe not books of bad poetry, but I personally might say Tina Fey's book because she is a legit inspiration to me and expand a bit on how I think comedy benefits us. I don't think you'd need to go into the Yale level of seriousness but maybe keep it reasonable. Haha. At least, that is how I would approach it. But I'm not exactly an admissions coach here and am below Stanford's numbers, so take my advice with a grain of salt probably.

• TabbyG123TabbyG123 Member
    711 karma

Hah. This thread has this Reddit /r/Tinder (a guilty pleasure) vibe.

"I dunno man, I wanna get her attention by being lighthearted and funny, but I'm trying to marry and wanna be true to myself, know what I'm saying?"

@"Leah M B" We have really similar scores, but I've been thinking about applying to one T3 as a shot in the dark. I'll apply if you do.

In all seriousness: I don't think the approach matters a whole lot as long as you're telling the reader about yourself in a deep way, whether you're doing so in a creative way I think matters less (unless you want to show the reader you're creative, but there might be easier ways to do that :B).