Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rules in LGs- I could use some help with this one

edited December 2017 in Logic Games 45 karma

There is a rule I am not able to understand and how I would write it out as a rule during my sketch. I believe it is a hybrid game...sequencing and not sure what else.

In a game disallowing ties: B appears before C, or B appears before D, but not both.

I wrote out the rule as B...C OR D...B but this doesn't clearly explain the rule and I will most likely continue to be confused. How can I better understand rules in this nature and what would be a better way to sketch it.

Comments

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9377 karma

@Amaldonado178 said:
    There is a rule I am not able to understand and how I would write it out as a rule during my sketch. I believe it is a hybrid game...sequencing and not sure what else.

In a game disallowing ties: B appears before C, or B appears before D, but not both.

I wrote out the rule as B...C OR D...B but this doesn't clearly explain the rule and I will most likely continue to be confused. How can I better understand rules in this nature and what would be a better way to sketch it.

Since it says "not both," you should write D - B - C or C - B - D. The rule basically says that B appears before C, or B appears before D but when B is before C, B has to be after D and when B is before D, B has to be after C.

Could you give us an example of games that tend to confuse you?

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8700 karma

@akistotle you have done an absolutely incredible job helping with LG on this month's threads. Excellent work with the breakdown above.

The only thing I would add is what this rule also tells us is that B can never be first or last because that spot would fail one of the conditions. We can go a bit deeper with our understanding of the rule: If C is first then D cannot be second, If D is last then C cannot be right before last. C and D can never touch. All of these might be something that could be an answer to an open ended question.

David

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

@akistotle said:

@Amaldonado178 said:

Since it says "not both," you should write D - B - C or C - B - D. The rule basically says that B appears before C, or B appears before D but when B is before C, B has to be after D and when B is before D, B has to be after C.

@Akistotle is exactly right, but to make it even a hair simpler you can write it D - B - C with a switch on the top between the D and C. This simplification tends not to matter for long since the two possibilities D - B - C and C - B - D usually make for an excellent opportunity to split your game board. Each provides quite a bit of information which might combine well with other rules.

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9377 karma

@BinghamtonDave Thank you for the kind words! I always learn a lot from your comments! :blush:

• edited December 2017 45 karma

Distribution and matching games tend to confuse me. Not on their own but when it is a hybrid game because the way the rules are set up I get confused on how to write them and lose points.

@akistotle said:

@Amaldonado178 said:

• Thank you all very much! Those clarifications actually simplified it for me. I have to keep this in mind.

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    edited December 2017 4196 karma

I write this kind of rule out as something like: [ C - B - D ] with a little switch type of line above connecting C and D telling me they can switch places and that B can never been before or after both C and D.

• Thank you! Knowing i can reach out for help when I get stuck helps tremendously. > @TheMikey said:

I write this kind of rule out as something like: [ C - B - D ] with a little switch type of line above connecting C and D telling me they can switch places and that B can never been before or after both C and D.