Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will taking February possibly help me?

rafifriedman21rafifriedman21 Free Trial Member

Firstly THANK YOU JY for your incredible LG explanatory videos, that's what finally helped me crack the game section after almost eight months of studying! Got my December score on Friday, 173!!!!! (up from 158) Thank you 7sagers for everything!
Now my question: In practice tests three weeks prior to the actual exam I scored higher than 173 about 8 times. I definiely want to start school in the fall, so I am applying now. If I get wiatlisted on T-14 schools, will sending in a higher February score help me or nah? I would take it again, but not for nothing.
Thanks guys!

Comments

• LastLSATLastLSAT Alum Member
    1028 karma

If your GPA is solid, I'm not sure you have much incentive to retake for this cycle. Your LSAT is already at or above every T14's median — it's unlikely that you'll get waitlisted many places other than Y and S, which are obviously toss-ups for anyone. You're in the top 1% of test takers! It's definitely a game of huge investments for marginal (and uncertain) improvement for you at this point.

Of course, this advice may be moot if your GPA is below median. In that case, cracking 175 would definitely help. Just check myLSN with your stats...

Invest your time working on whatever parts of your application you still have room left to improve, and get them submitted ASAP. Good things (read: competitive at Y&S, in at H, auto-admit with $$$ at CCN down) are likely coming your way!

Many of us will be working hard to catch up to the score you've already achieved when we take in February. Congrats on the awesome performance!

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

what is your GPA?

• rafifriedman21rafifriedman21 Free Trial Member
    10 karma

Jchainberlinf- Thank you for the kind words and. your support.Do you mean the investement of time is probably not worth it?
    My gpa is also very high, but from an unconventional school (a rabbinical seminary), and I don't think that law schools take the gpa from there seriously at all. My dream school is Columbia ( I live and love NYC and prefer to stay here).

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

Is 'very high' at or above Columbia's median GPA? If so, I think you already have a great shot at getting in there and taking feb might not be the best way to spend your time. However, if you feel like you can get way higher than a 173 you could retake if you want, especially if your GPA is like a 3.9+ combined with a bit higher LSAT it would put you in Hamilton territory. But as it stands, I think you have a really good shot anyways.

Have you messed around with mylsn.info ? if not, play around with it to get a feel for your chances.

btw congrats on the 158 to 173 jump!

• Aspiring1LAspiring1L Alum Member
    159 karma

Hey everyone. I'm registered for the Feb 2018 LSAT and was wondering if anyone recommends using 7Sage for 1.5 month prep. I took the Dec 2017 LSAT and self-studied for 4-months using Powerscore. The nerves took over on test day and adversely affected my score, mostly because I wasn't too confident in my preparation despite a floating 8-10 point increase on my PTs from my diagnostic. I feel like there's a limitation with Powerscore, especially when self-studying. Their private tutors are too far from me to travel to also. What do you guys think?

• Legally_SpeakingLegally_Speaking Alum Member
    553 karma

@Aspiring1L As someone who tried Powerscore before discovering 7sage I can confidently say that unless you are already an LSAT savant the return on investment will likely be fairly negligible. Fortunately, if you're willing to put in even just several months with 7sage your score will likely make a decent jump. I would, however, recommend being willing to spend more than 1.5 months though this depends entirely on your starting point as well as your goal LSAT score.