Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UChicago Law

hlkoo1212hlkoo1212 Alum Member
edited December 2017 in Law School Admissions 130 karma

I don't remember the source, but I vaguely recall hearing that out of the top schools, UChicago especially loves high-GPA applicants (=as in they put more emphasis on that more than other top schools do even if it means foregoing some high LSAT ppl) Has anyone heard this as well? Can someone validate or invalidate this rumor?

Comments

• acsimonacsimon Alum Member
    1269 karma

This info, I believe, was as compared to Columbia specifically (which is supposed to love splitters as opposed to reverse splitters). Of course, there's all sorts of information on splitter vs. reverse splitter friendly schools--and some info on there being no such thing (really) as the latter. I don't know how realible any of that info is, though.--A.c.S

• calcal101calcal101 Alum Member
    582 karma

I’m not sure you can say they love high GPA/lower LSAT, but they definitely do have unusually high GPA percentiles and (relatively) low LSAT percentiles compared to their peer schools. If you’re a reverse splitter, Chicago’s probably a good place to apply

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@hlkoo1212 said:
    I don't remember the source, but I vaguely recall hearing that out of the top schools, UChicago especially loves high-GPA applicants (=as in they put more emphasis on that more than other top schools do even if it means foregoing some high LSAT ppl) Has anyone heard this as well? Can someone validate or invalidate this rumor?

Yeah, they absolutely love high GPAs. You can just look at their stats and see all the 3.9+ and high 160s/low 170s scores that get in.

• LastLSATLastLSAT Alum Member
    1028 karma

Their 25th percentile is a 166. While this isn't necessarily low, it definitely implies that they are willing to go low_er_ than other top 5 schools in exchange for stellar GPAs. My LSN seems to show a relatively high acceptance rate for 165+ with a 3.95+.

UChicago is my dream school, and I'm a fellow reverse splitter. MyLSN shows that we have a chance, at least. I guess we'll see if that rumor holds true soon enough... Good luck!

• hlkoo1212hlkoo1212 Alum Member
    130 karma

Reverse splitter means high GPA and lower LSAT?

@jchamberlainf said:
    Their 25th percentile is a 166. While this isn't necessarily low, it definitely implies that they are willing to go low_er_ than other top 5 schools in exchange for stellar GPAs. My LSN seems to show a relatively high acceptance rate for 165+ with a 3.95+.

UChicago is my dream school, and I'm a fellow reverse splitter. MyLSN shows that we have a chance, at least. I guess we'll see if that rumor holds true soon enough... Good luck!

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    3072 karma

@hlkoo1212 said:
    Reverse splitter means high GPA and lower LSAT?

@jchamberlainf said:

Yep.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27821 karma

Yeah, their stats have always made it look like they're willing to take a hit on LSAT to score a killer GPA. Berkeley is also known to place relatively high emphasis on GPA.

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

they love high GPAs

• PositivePositive Alum Member
    426 karma

I know you are applying this cycle, but I thought it might be worth reading the story just in case you are also considering to re-apply.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=284629

Best wishes!