Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best places to apply for possible full or close to full merit?

KayyyyyyyKayyyyyyy Free Trial Member

Where are good places in the Northeast for someone with a 175 LSAT and 3.8 undergrad GPA to apply if they're hoping for full or close to full ride merit scholarships? Thanks for your thoughts!

Comments

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    edited December 2017 3072 karma

Columbia, Cornell, NYU, UPenn would potentially give you a bunch of money, depending on the rest of your application. Not sure they do full rides? Columbia and NYU offer a lot of scholarships. Cornell seems pretty desperate for top students. UPenn I'm less informed on. They're an Ivy, though, so they could be stingy.

YH would potentially give you money if you demonstrate financial need.

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

Very nice LSAT score, congrats! :)

You have a chance at very good money at NYU, Columbia, UVA, and probably Duke too. I would say Cornell but seeing from last cycle and this cycle, I'm not too sure what they are doing with people who have very high numbers, idk they're getting weird.

I would still recommend applying broadly and not just Northeast schools, as you could use offers from other schools to negotiate with a northeast school since I think getting a full ride at the T13/T14 isn't always a guarantee with great numbers.

Be sure to write Why X essays so you don't get yield protected, especially at the lower half of the T13/T14. Good luck!

• lsatplaylistlsatplaylist Member
    5249 karma

HLS

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@lsatplaylist said:
    HLS

HLS doesn't award full merit scholarship. They basically don't offer any and instead offer need-based aid.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited December 2017 23929 karma

@Kayyyyyyy said:
    Where are good places in the Northeast for someone with a 175 LSAT and 3.8 undergrad GPA to apply if they're hoping for full or close to full ride merit scholarships? Thanks for your thoughts!

Do you have a preference of schools? T13/T6?

I would blanket all of the T20 with those numbers. Even if you want NE, you can use other offers to negotiate.

What are you career goals?

NYU, Columbia, Cornell, and uPenn are probably good places to start!

• lsatplaylistlsatplaylist Member
    5249 karma

@"Alex Divine", Interesting! I hadn't known this. Glad you mentioned it.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited December 2017 23929 karma

@lsatplaylist said:
    @"Alex Divine", Interesting! I hadn't known this. Glad you mentioned it.

Yup -- I suppose it may be hard to give out merit scholarships when such a large amount of admitted students are so exceptional. Also, they don't really need to because they lose such a small % of admitted students to other schools.

• LastLSATLastLSAT Alum Member
    edited December 2017 1028 karma

Not quite in the northeast, but Vanderbilt has their Law Scholars Program, which guarantees a full tuition scholarship plus $5000/year stipend to those who are selected. Your numbers would probably be very competitive!

It's a separate application, so if you're applying to Vanderbilt, make sure to submit the Law Scholars app by its deadline (I believe it is Jan. 10).