Query failed: connection to 172.31.3.4:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Personal Statement and Addendum - 7Sage Forum

Personal Statement and Addendum

TinaTheLlamaTinaTheLlama Member
edited December 2017 in Law School Admissions 91 karma

I have a very atypical background and many personal reasons for studying law. From junior high school through getting my undergraduate degree my family struggled a lot: immigrant parent, lower middle class, police involvement, parents divorced etc. I ended up taking 3 courses per semester, getting mostly As but a couple Cs and have several withdrawals on record, ending with a GPA just over 3.5 (cumulative GPA over 3.6). My recent LSAT score was 160, my PT average after about five months of part time study.

I'm working on my PS and addendum for my target school where my scores are in the lower quarter percentile. My current draft is almost two single spaced pages. Does that seem too long? I think I sound pretty objective, just describing the events that distracted me from school, but I'm afraid of being a drama queen. I wouldn't tell anyone about these things if I didn't have to, but I know my transcripts would otherwise be a poor reflection of my abilities and spark all kinds of questions. I'm also afraid of sounding like I'm just blaming poor choices on the drama in my family.

Any suggestions from other people with ghetto backgrounds?

Comments

• EvetteCeeEvetteCee Alum Member
    224 karma

Are you writing a diversity statement as well?

If you do, I feel like you could split some of your experiences onto the diversity statement to make your GPA addendum a bit shorter.

• TinaTheLlamaTinaTheLlama Member
    91 karma

@EvetteCee

No. My target school doesn't allow for them, or at least it isn't discussed in their application requirements.

• acsimonacsimon Alum Member
    1269 karma

I'm in a similar position on uGPA and background (save my parents aren't foreign nationals). Is there any way you could pack a lot into the PS and diversity addendum and then give a short factual statement in your GPA addendum and then, if you're like me, move most or all of the your criminal record to the addendum for character and fitness? It just seems like GPA addenda are supposed to be short and matter of fact.

Although, I'm not sure that you would need to have an addendum for your GPA unless the applications were for a T-6 (if your GPA is over 3.6). But maybe I'm wrong on that.--A.c.S

• TabbyG123TabbyG123 Member
    edited December 2017 711 karma

@TinaTheLlama said:
    @EvetteCee

No. My target school doesn't allow for them, or at least it isn't discussed in their application requirements.

Try emailing and asking. Many schools will accept a diversity statement even if they don't explicitly mention it in their application.

• TinaTheLlamaTinaTheLlama Member
    91 karma

@acsimon Luckily the police involvement was not for me. I feel for you though if you do and wish you the best. So it sounds like the Addendum should be rather short and practical. Hm...

@"nicolas.saw" Yeah, I think I will. I just found out that even if I were accepted ED, I would have to pay a steep deposit. I guess I really need to do more research and reaching out to admissions offices.