I got an invite to Interview with WashU - I did not apply to WashU...

Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
in General 3521 karma

Did anyone else get an invite to interview with WashU today???

I did not apply to WashU so I am very confused.

Comments

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    edited December 2017 3072 karma

Pre-application interviews? I received an invite to interview with Georgetown before I applied anywhere.

• Sammie215Sammie215 Member
    202 karma

Lol me too! I think they are just skipping a step and using the interview to try to convince you to apply.

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    edited December 2017 3521 karma

@goingfor99th @Sammie215 I didn't realize this was a normal practice haha. I was very weirded out.

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

Yes! I got the same E-mail today and was just as confused lol

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

@"Paul Caint" said:
    @goingfor99th @Sammie215 I didn't realize this was a normal practice haha. I was very weirded out.

I got that email today as well. I think they picked people based on LSAT score as my GPA is fairly low.

• calcal101calcal101 Alum Member
    edited December 2017 582 karma

Yes I did too!

3521 karma

Soooo...do we do the interview?

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

I have no intention of going there but I’ll do it for the experience

3521 karma

@10000019 If they paid for our flight to St. Louis I would totally do an in-person one :smile: just to explore the city.

They might also throw a lot of money at us if we're above their numbers.

• Sammie215Sammie215 Member
    202 karma

I think the email said google hangout/Skype interview

@Sammie215 If you click the link they provided, you can set up an in-person interview. Idk why you would lol (beyond the fun of traveling), since the interviews are supposed to only be 20 minutes.

• kimpg_66kimpg_66 Alum Member
    1617 karma

haha yup I got it! I don't even have my GPA on LSAC, so they're purely going off of LSAT

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Haha yep ditto, got the email today and was similarly confused. I was likely going to apply, so was swayed a bit more toward it. Not a bad tactic! Haha

• pioneer321pioneer321 Free Trial Member
    328 karma

I was pretty confused by this too. Are you guys actually scheduling one, and if so, will you be submitting your app first?

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

@"Paul Caint" said:
    Did anyone else get an invite to interview with WashU today???

I did not apply to WashU so I am very confused.

I got this same pre application email back in September. I signed up for an in person interview and before the interview I called to ask if they wanted me to send any information like a resume since I hadn't actually applied yet and therefore they didn't have any info on me. They asked me to just apply even though I didn't have any letters of rec yet so they could see my resume, transcript, and LSAT scores. So I sent them a hastily polished version of my personal statement draft. I interviewed there in person in October and they also set up a meeting with the Dean, a career services person, and a tour. I asked them to hold my application until I could get a letter of reference in which they did.

I was accepted in December after I got my first of two letters of rec in and was then offered a full tuition scholarship one week later.

I think it might be their newest way of soliciting applications from applicants they consider strong. I recommend at the very least accepting the Skype interview. Even if you were not at all interested in the school, couldn't you use a full tuition scholarship for negotiation if it pans out, or just the practice of a interviewing at a law school? I was trying to emphasize my actual interest by actually driving there in person since I am from the midwest.

Anyways, give WashU a chance. I thought the whole unsolicited interview request went about as well as it could have.

@"Seeking Perfection" said:

Even if you were not at all interested in the school, couldn't you use a full tuition scholarship for negotiation if it pans out, or just the practice of a interviewing at a law school?

Great point!

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    edited December 2017 8392 karma

Just scheduled a skype interview! Now to get an app in... haha

• LastLSATLastLSAT Alum Member
    edited December 2017 1028 karma

I also got an unsolicited interview request from WUSTL way back in September, when I hadn't applied yet either. I was very impressed by the how personable the admissions representative was and how friendly the school seems overall. They even came to my campus to meet me at the most convenient location!

The interview was very laid back and more of a promotion for the school than anything. Very similar to Vanderbilt's interview process (though I thought Vanderbilt's local alumni interview was more interesting to participate in) — just basic "why law," "why WUSTL" and "tell me something interesting about yourself that isn't included in your application" type questions.

I will say that the pre-application interview convinced me to look further in to WUSTL and even seriously consider their guaranteed full-ride ED application (albeit, WUSTL has an exceptional reputation for placement into firms in my home city). Give it a shot!

Edit: Also, I should mention that they gave me a fee waiver after the interview! So I'd say it's worth it just for that.

• mcglz_64mcglz_64 Alum Member
    891 karma

I got one and a few waiver. Not applying there though

• mcglz_64mcglz_64 Alum Member
    891 karma

Fee*

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

@mcglz_64 said:
    I got one and a fee waiver. Not applying there though

Why not? The $35? I'm just curious since I applied because I couldn't come up with a good reason not to.