Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tutoring recommendations

RGBeetobeRGBeetobe Alum Member
in General 142 karma

Has anyone done any virtual tutoring sessions and can recommend a tutor? Specifically, I’m looking for help getting from high 160s-low 170s to consistently scoring in the 170s.

Comments

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

Any of the 7sage tutors but I just wanna say @"Daniel.Sieradzki" is great :)

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@TheMikey said:
    Any of the 7sage tutors but I just wanna say @"Daniel.Sieradzki" is great :)

Daniel is the man!

@"Accounts Playable" is also absolutely incredible as is @"Cant Get Right"

• RGBeetobeRGBeetobe Alum Member
    142 karma

@TheMikey @"Alex Divine" thanks for the recs! Did you guys work with these tutors personally?

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

@RGBIItobe said:
    @TheMikey @"Alex Divine" thanks for the recs! Did you guys work with these tutors personally?

I've worked with Daniel S. before!

All of the 7sage tutors are great! They choose them wisely ;)

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@TheMikey said:

@RGBIItobe said:

I've worked with Daniel S. before!

All of the 7sage tutors are great! They choose them wisely ;)

Yeah I've worked with @"Accounts Playable" :) I'm also buddies with @"Cant Get Right" and @"Daniel.Sieradzki" and can speak to their LSAT prowess.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

Do keep in mind though that no matter how good the tutor, they are mostly other than a little strategic advice likely telling you how to work a little smarter. You still have to do the work.

So for instance if you are not perfect on games, they can't do the foolproofing for you. They might be able to watch you do some games and tell you how to do those game types better, which is valuable, but can't make up for reps.

The same is true with LR and RC.

Whatever tutor you pick may have some recommendations along these lines, but you should also try to isolate some weaknesses you want to work on. Enter your PTs into 7sage analytics and look for patterns on the types of questions you miss most or types of passages you struggle with.

142 karma

@"Seeking Perfection" yeah, that strategic advice is what I’m looking for. There aren’t really specific question types that stand out for me, so I think it’s more a question of timing and strategy.

4423 karma

@RGBIItobe said:
    @"Seeking Perfection" yeah, that strategic advice is what I’m looking for. There aren’t really specific question types that stand out for me, so I think it’s more a question of timing and strategy.

Okay. Sometimes that kind of stuff, skipping strategies, passage skipping, excetera can get a couple of points of return or a little less uncertainty headed into the test.

Longterm tutoring is usually aimed at the higher return things like suring up the actual skills. If you get good enough at those skills, in my experience the strategy melts away and becomes unimportant.

I think @"Cant Get Right" has talked about the advantages to skipping before. The others might be great too.

142 karma

@"Seeking Perfection" hmm, so maybe tutoring won’t help me all that much. Thanks!

4423 karma

@RGBIItobe said:
    @"Seeking Perfection" hmm, so maybe tutoring won’t help me all that much. Thanks!

It could provide a quick small boost on its own in the form of that strategic advice. That could be what you need to break into the 170s or stay there consistently.

But to start scoring in say safely in the mid 170s you probably have to fix whatever skill related problems you have. And it only makes sense that guessing and skipping pay off less as you need to do less of the guessing or skipping.

So try the skipping if your testing in February. But if you decide to retake or even find yourself hitting a new plateau before February keep in mind eventually you will hit a new plateau that skipping won't break. More studying possibly guided by a tutors advice, but possibly on your own can break that barrier too.

As someone who started at 168, had a first take of 172 and a second take at 180 I never felt I got a benefit from skipping. Now it is possible if I had done it better a skipping strategy could have boosted that 172 to a 174 on its own and that definitely would have been worth doing, but ultimately I got better by foolproofing and drilling and blind reviewing not skipping.

TLDR
    Maybe skipping won't help you all that much, but every point matters.