Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advice on where to go from here? Upgrade?

LauraC829LauraC829 Alum Member
edited January 2018 in General 218 karma

I completed the Starter course and took the Dec. exam, but scored below my goal score. I got a 160 (was PT-ing between 162-164) and my target score is 168-170. I'm registered for the Feb. exam and don't know if I should extend the Starter course and do a lot of PTs these next few weeks/ review lessons for February OR if I should hold off for June and upgrade to the premium or ultimate and study for longer. I'm afraid I'll lose momentum from the Dec. exam. Appreciate any advice, thank you!!

Comments

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9372 karma

Why not both? I recommend upgrading to Ultimate+ (best plan) and study for Feb/June!

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

It depends on whether or not you want to apply this cycle. If you can wait until next cycle, upgrade to the Ultimate version and wait until the June test :)

• Jonathan WangJonathan Wang Yearly Sage
    edited January 2018 6866 karma

Test date change deadline is 1/9, so you have about a week to figure out whether your momentum is going to translate to actual score gains or if you'll spend all that time just trying to play catch-up to the position that you were in before. Important to be honest with yourself and not let your desire to be done with the test overwhelm a clear-eyed assessment of whether your skills are up to par.

Since this isn't a case of under-performing your preptests, there are probably actual skills issues involved. You need to develop those skills to a point where they are usable in the test environment (capability), and then hone them to a point where you can be consistent and disciplined in deploying them (consistency). It's a tall order for 4 weeks. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it's important to recognize that hard work isn't a sufficient condition here.

In addition to getting access to more practice questions and devoting yourself to preptests and the like, you may want to see if engaging a tutor will help. Plenty of great options on the 7Sage tutors list at a variety of price points. Sometimes, it really does take a third party to tell you what you're missing in your self-evaluation.

• LauraC829LauraC829 Alum Member
    218 karma

@ohnoeshalpme said:
    It depends on whether or not you want to apply this cycle. If you can wait until next cycle, upgrade to the Ultimate version and wait until the June test :)

I'm applying next cycle and I think you're probably right!

218 karma

@akistotle said:
    Why not both? I recommend upgrading to Ultimate+ (best plan) and study for Feb/June!

The deadline to change exam date is next week and not sure if I'll know how ready I am for February by then :/ Thank you, I think i'll do Ultimate!

218 karma

@"Jonathan Wang" said:
    Test date change deadline is 1/9, so you have about a week to figure out whether your momentum is going to translate to actual score gains or if you'll spend all that time just trying to play catch-up to the position that you were in before. Important to be honest with yourself and not let your desire to be done with the test overwhelm a clear-eyed assessment of whether your skills are up to par.

Since this isn't a case of under-performing your preptests, there are probably actual skills issues involved. You need to develop those skills to a point where they are usable in the test environment (capability), and then hone them to a point where you can be consistent and disciplined in deploying them (consistency). It's a tall order for 4 weeks. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it's important to recognize that hard work isn't a sufficient condition here.

In addition to getting access to more practice questions and devoting yourself to preptests and the like, you may want to see if engaging a tutor will help. Plenty of great options on the 7Sage tutors list at a variety of price points. Sometimes, it really does take a third party to tell you what you're missing in your self-evaluation.

Thank you so much for your response! I think I will wait till June to develop the skills needed for those extra points. Do you have any tips on how to build on the prep I already did for Dec. now for June? It seems so far away and I'm afraid I'll end up relearning rather that supplementing like you said.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

@LauraC829 said:

@"Jonathan Wang" said:

Thank you so much for your response! I think I will wait till June to develop the skills needed for those extra points. Do you have any tips on how to build on the prep I already did for Dec. now for June? It seems so far away and I'm afraid I'll end up relearning rather that supplementing like you said.

I don't think it really tends to fade quickly. I tested twice in February and September and didn't study between February and May. I pretty much picked up where I left off in May. That is not to say you should take a long break just that I don't think you will forget things and that reviewing what you already know can actually help rather than hinder.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@LauraC829 said:
    I completed the Starter course and took the Dec. exam, but scored below my goal score. I got a 160 (was PT-ing between 162-164) and my target score is 168-170. I'm registered for the Feb. exam and don't know if I should extend the Starter course and do a lot of PTs these next few weeks/ review lessons for February OR if I should hold off for June and upgrade to the premium or ultimate and study for longer. I'm afraid I'll lose momentum from the Dec. exam. Appreciate any advice, thank you!!

I'd hold off until June and upgrade. You were PT'ing right int he range you scored in, and to get to a 168-170 will likely take longer than a month. Each point gets harder and harder to get as you climb into the mid-to-high 160s.

You won't lose momentum unless you let yourself. Just keep motivated and hungry for that 170 and with 5 months and 7Sage, you'll be as prepared as anyone come test day.

218 karma

@"Alex Divine" Thank you :) I see you have the Ultimate Plus, does that package come with all of the most recent exams? I just did the upgrade to Ultimate today and am thinking paying the extra $200 might be worth it for the "harder" questions, drill packets, and recent PTs

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@LauraC829 said:
    @"Alex Divine" Thank you :) I see you have the Ultimate Plus, does that package come with all of the most recent exams? I just did the upgrade to Ultimate today and am thinking paying the extra $200 might be worth it for the "harder" questions, drill packets, and recent PTs

Of course :)

Yup -- comes with access to every test! 1-82 (soon to be 83)

The best part about Ult + is having all the tests (printable), the Logic games and LR bundles, and all of the explanations! Plus, there's an awesome question bank. It's just nice having everything in one place on your computer. Makes studying much more easy!

If you can afford it, and you have time to take advantage of all the extras, I would highly recommend it.

218 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@LauraC829 said:

Of course :)

Yup -- comes with access to every test! 1-82 (soon to be 83)

The best part about Ult + is having all the tests (printable), the Logic games and LR bundles, and all of the explanations! Plus, there's an awesome question bank. It's just nice having everything in one place on your computer. Makes studying much more easy!

If you can afford it, and you have time to take advantage of all the extras, I would highly recommend it.

I completed the Starter and would begin the Plus now to prep for the June exam. I work full time, do you think the 5 months is enough?

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

Here's a thread to a webinar about great ways to continue your studies after the core curriculum:

https://7sage.com/webinar/post-core-curriculum-study-strategies/

@"Cant Get Right" also posted these steps in a thread a while back (sorry I can't find the thread! I just copied these steps and saved on Evernote :-) Hope this helps!

1. Take PT 36
    2. BR it carefully, writing out your reasoning including: logical and grammatical breakdown of stimulus, logical and grammatical breakdown of each answer choices when appropriate, and detailed explanation of each answer choice and why it is either right or wrong.
    3. Enter in your timed and BR answers into 7Sage Analytics and score.
    4. Analyze your results. For every question you missed on either timed PT or BR, write out an explanation of why you missed it. If you missed it under time but got it right in BR, how could you have gotten it right under time? If it was a confidence error or if you missed it in BR, what fundamental did you misunderstand?
    5. Read through this analysis when you're done and use it to develop a study plan.
    6. Use that study plan and study! Return to the curriculum, drill, work problem sets, fool proof games, etc. Whatever your PT dictates you do, do it.
    7. When you feel like you've constructively addressed all of these issues, take another PT and repeat the cycle.