Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diversity Statement Length

Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
in General 3521 karma

Hey everyone,

I'm very confused about what the length of a diversity statement should be. I hear everyone touting "no more than 1-page," but then when I read examples of "Great Diversity Statements," including ones provided by 7Sage, they're 1.5 or 2 pages.

Mine has come out to be 1.5 pages, and I feel like further cuts could harm the impactfulness of the essay.

Advice?

Comments

• Radhika.Radhika. Member
    214 karma

I was just typing a post about this!!! My diversity statement is 581 words, 1.5 pages 11 pt Garamond font. I also feel like further cuts will kill the flow and impact.

Please help us!

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

@"Radhika." I'M SO CONFUSED!

EVERYONE SAYS 1 PAGE BUT THEN THEY POST ALL THESE MODEL STATEMENTS THAT ARE 2 PAGES

AWJDWAPDAWOPKDPAW

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    edited January 2018 3072 karma

One page, double-spaced, 11 or 12 point font, Times New Roman or Calibri.

Mine was actually closer to 1.75 pages, though. :/

Every school I spoke with directly seems to be okay with two pages. Use your best judgment.

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

@goingfor99th said:

I'm crying

3072 karma

@"Paul Caint" said:

@goingfor99th said:

I'm crying

lol yeah

3072 karma

You can read it if you'd like.

• Radhika.Radhika. Member
    214 karma

@"Paul Caint" ME TOO. And so many people say keep it three paragraphs and even if the model statements have three paragraphs, they are very long paragraphs. ugh this is frustrating.
    A lot of the schools I'm applying to say "please limit your response to one typed page or less." There is just no way that I can make my DS one page, it will be a shitty essay if I do.

• TabbyG123TabbyG123 Member
    711 karma

Write two versions!

I wrote a two page and a one page version of the diversity statement. For schools that don't specify a limit, I submitted the two-pager. For schools that did specify one page, I sent the one-pager.

I believe you can do it! You might be surprised. When I wrote my one-page version, it actually made the writing better (although it did lack the same detail)! Concise writing is great. :) But I'm a little biased (creative writing major here who tries to write like Hemingway, hah).

I'd be happy to take a look at it! DM me if interested.

• Freddy_DFreddy_D Alum Member
    2983 karma

Mine is 1.5 pages long, too.