Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need Clarification on Application "Deadlines"

btsao650btsao650 Alum Member

I know a lot of schools have application deadlines in February (aka-you need provide them with a LSAT score earlier than the February score), but I'm confused on if you can update them with a February LSAT score later on.

For example, Berkley Law supposedly doesn't accept the February LSAT. https://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/bid/153645/Which-law-schools-accept-February-LSAT-scores

Does this mean they won't even look at your February score if you update them in the future? Thanks guys, sorry if this seems like a silly question!

Comments

• stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma

They take the Feb LSAT...

From their FAQ:

What is the latest date I can take the LSAT?

You have to read between the lines...

"We recommend that you plan to take the test as early as convenient and no later than the one offered in December to optimize your admission review for the following year. LSAT scores are valid for five years and are reported automatically by Law Services. Scores older than five years are not reported."

Essentially to optimize your application take no later than December...

No where does it say they DONT take Feb...

Also so many applications say to be guaranteed an admissions decision apply by X deadline...

This doesn't mean you can't apply in June or July... you can (as long as the app is still in the LSAC and ifs not you can still send in a paper one. Are you GUARANTEED a decision response? Nope... but if you have stellar numbers will you?

Yes.

Berkeley takes Feb scores.

The article you cited is from 2012... admissions to law school basically flipped on its head in 2015 any article before that rarely applies.

It's an "applicants market" right now...

• nicole.brooklynnicole.brooklyn Alum Member
    341 karma

FWIW - After I took the June LSAT last year, I got a ton of emails telling me that “there were still spots left” for the fall starting class and that I should get in touch if interested. Even at some high ranking schools, like UCLA. I’m sure a lot of schools will consider a high scoring February LSAT taker.

• btsao650btsao650 Alum Member
    254 karma

@stepharizona @"nicole.burdakin" Thank you guys for the clarification! Beyond helpful.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

You should still apply before February though.

Just let them know you are retaking in February. They are not going to pretend not to hear the valuable information the February score tells them, they just want most of their apps in by February.

• Radhika.Radhika. Member
    214 karma

Berkeley has clearly told me in an email that "We do not accept the February LSAT for this current application cycle. You may want to consider applying for the next cycle."

• stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma

@"Radhika." said:
    Berkeley has clearly told me in an email that "We do not accept the February LSAT for this current application cycle. You may want to consider applying for the next cycle."

Interesting, I was told by the Admissions person I've built a relationship with that I could hold for Feb when we spoke before the Dec LSAT (I wasn't sure if I wasnt taking) . I had a medical issue at the time so maybe I was given an exception but I've seen others mention using Feb as well.

Would Feb be your first LSAT?

• Radhika.Radhika. Member
    214 karma

no :)
    even their automated response email states: "Note that we do not accept February LSAT scores for admission consideration in the same year."

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    edited January 2018 4423 karma

@"Radhika." said:
    no :)
    even their automated response email states: "Note that we do not accept February LSAT scores for admission consideration in the same year."

Some schools won't hold off from reviewing your application until after the February LSAT scores come in. I believe Berkeley is one of these. That means they could deny you before seeing your new score in which case you are out of luck at that school for the cycle.

However, if they have not denied you when they get your February test result, no school is going to clamp their hands over their eyes and pretend they can't see the new February score especially if it is a significant increase.

Of course, this means that for Berkeley the February take is only an option for retakers since Berkeley claims it might not accept a late application and you can't send in a complete application without an LSAT score.