MY FIRST -1 IN LR ! *TEARS*

TheAnxious0LTheAnxious0L Alum Member

I’m framing this shit, omg. I’ve been studying since April and COULD NOT for the life of me get LR to anything below -6. I cried. I cancelled exams. I questioned my entire existence. But it finally happened.

For everyone struggling with LR right now, you can do it ! I took a step back and stopped thinking about learning each question type individually and looked more at what I was reading for each and every time.In one month, it’s made all the difference. This exam is all about the subtleties and it’s like a whole new world when that finally starts clicking.

Thank you to everyone whose helped me get here. I feel so ready for Feb and excited to finally put this exam to rest.

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"Idil.Beshir" said:
    I’m framing this shit, omg. I’ve been studying since April and COULD NOT for the life of me get LR to anything below -6. I cried. I cancelled exams. I questioned my entire existence. But it finally happened.

For everyone struggling with LR right now, you can do it ! I took a step back and stopped thinking about learning each question type individually and looked more at what I was reading for each and every time.In one month, it’s made all the difference. This exam is all about the subtleties and it’s like a whole new world when that finally starts clicking.

Thank you to everyone whose helped me get here. I feel so ready for Feb and excited to finally put this exam to rest.

https://media.giphy.com/media/3o6fJ1BM7R2EBRDnxK/giphy.gif

:)

• TheAnxious0LTheAnxious0L Alum Member
    587 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@"Idil.Beshir" said:

An EXTRA thank-you to you for keeping it real and telling me not to write in Sept. Seriously, your brutal honesty is so so so appreciated.

PS, I never actually told my parents I wasn’t going to write in Sept so I had to leave my house at 6:30 am with a ziplock bag and pretend to be writing an exam for 8 hours lol. One day I’ll tell them.....after law school.

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

Boss! Look at you kick the LSATs ass! Congrats!!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited January 2018 23929 karma

@"Idil.Beshir" said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@"Idil.Beshir" said:

An EXTRA thank-you to you for keeping it real and telling me not to write in Sept. Seriously, your brutal honesty is so so so appreciated.

PS, I never actually told my parents I wasn’t going to write in Sept so I had to leave my house at 6:30 am with a ziplock bag and pretend to be writing an exam for 8 hours lol. One day I’ll tell them.....after law school.

Just passing along the same wisdom I receieved.

Hahaha! You’re going to make a great attorney.

Congrats again

• TomUSNA12TomUSNA12 Member
    56 karma

Thanks for posting and congrats. This is encouraging. I feel like I am close (BRing in the -1 to -3 range for LR sections), but still not quite there in the allotted time. Feb will be my second and last try.

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

-0 is around the corner. Good job!

• jennyleejhjennyleejh Alum Member
    145 karma

@"Idil.Beshir" said:

@"Idil.Beshir" Congratulations you deserve it!! :) I have a question for you though... I've been thinking that learning each question type was the key to mastering the LR section... but after seeing my December score as well as your story, I'm beginning to think that it may not be working for me. Could you elaborate a little more on how you switched tactics and what you are now looking for in each question? My LR section is so shaky... on good days I can get about -3 in two LR sections, but on other days can be about -7... I'd appreciate some words of advice! Thank you :)

• kimpg_66kimpg_66 Alum Member
    1617 karma

Awh man congratulations! This is huge!!

• lsatplaylistlsatplaylist Member
    5249 karma

High five! This is awesome!

• kventokvento Alum Member
    86 karma

@"jh.lee_jenny" said:

@"Idil.Beshir" said:

@"Idil.Beshir" Congratulations you deserve it!! :) I have a question for you though... I've been thinking that learning each question type was the key to mastering the LR section... but after seeing my December score as well as your story, I'm beginning to think that it may not be working for me. Could you elaborate a little more on how you switched tactics and what you are now looking for in each question? My LR section is so shaky... on good days I can get about -3 in two LR sections, but on other days can be about -7... I'd appreciate some words of advice! Thank you :)

YES; please do tell!!!! lol

• Eric25Eric25 Member
    720 karma

Congrats on the awesome achievement! Im also very curious on the tatics as well!

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma

@"Idil.Beshir" said:
    I took a step back and stopped thinking about learning each question type individually and looked more at what I was reading for each and every time.In one month, it’s made all the difference. This exam is all about the subtleties and it’s like a whole new world when that finally starts clicking.

This is absolutely clutch. There are so many things that go beyond what the question is asking you to do, and it sounds like you've started looking at the test at a much higher level. Keep at it and build consistency. You're broken a huge barrier and have exposed a whole new level of the test. Thanks for sharing, and congrats on the -1!

587 karma

Thank you everyone!

I’m hesitant to give advice because I realize there is so much that I don’t know at all, and what works for me might not be what works for you. For me, the biggest obstacle was learning to understand how I think and not letting myself be lazy lol.I have a bad habit of thinking I understand something, when I really don’t. I’m use to doing well in school, and in all honesty was kinda arrogant about this test. I’d look at an AC and convince myself I knew what I did wrong and that I just wouldn't do it next time. It’s crazy because there are so many webinars that warn against that, but alas I apparently thought I was special lol.

Little tips I learned:
    -Think about what you read. I would just power through a stimulus and be more concerned with retaining information, then understanding what I was reading. This isn’t a test of memory, but I was still reading stimuli the way I would read a textbook. For nearly all LR questions, all you care about is the logical reasoning. Look for the conclusion, then the premise, then the flaw. I constantly try and think about what the author is trying to argue, and what he is using to prove it (the support/premise). I do this for all the analyze questions (SA/NA/Flaw/Weaken/Strengthen). After I understand the flaw, I answer the stem. It’s really important to read with intent and focus and to make sure you are answering what the stem is asking you to, and not getting distracted.
    -I realized that I actually didn’t know what it meant to strengthen or weaken an argument. It’s something incredibly specific. I re-watched the CC lessons so many times, and would pause to make sure I understood entirely what J.Y was teaching.
    -Be careful with changing terminology.
    -Read ALL the answer choices. I would read B, think it sounded okay, and rush off to the next question to save time. That’s how they trick you lol.

The LSAT is testing your critical thinking skills. Not how well you retain information. Ask yourself if how you are answering questions is how you would approach an argument. In most of the LR questions, your job is to find the hole in the argument and then do something to it (weaken/strengthen/ find the NA or SA).So your method in answering these questions should be pretty similar. You just kinda switch gears at the end to answer the specifics of what that question is answering.

Again, I am by no means at all an expert and a group leader or 7Sage tutor is much more qualified to answer this. If I’ve said anything above that is incorrect please point it out to me so I can adjust my own thinking, and not be responsible for putting incorrect info out there.

• OlamHafuchOlamHafuch Alum Member
    2326 karma

@"Idil.Beshir" said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@"Idil.Beshir" said:

Gotta hear more about this awesome story? Did your parents ask you for results, or do they think that your're not getting results for another few months?

587 karma

Gotta hear more about this awesome story? Did your parents ask you for results, or do they think that your're not getting results for another few months?

Lmao, they did. I put grey day in my calendar so I could be fake-stressed all day, and then told them I got a 159 and needed to re-write hahaha. I feel guilty BUT like, immigrant parents don't play when it comes to law/med school.

The day I "wrote" the Sept LSAT, I spent the day in my office and was on TLS all day re-reading old test day stories. I went home and went on about how annoying the proctors were, and regurgitated stories I read on the forum hahaha. I feel so bad because they took me out for a nice dinner after to "celebrate" getting through test day.

OH one part I missed out on - my parents are very religious, and they announced that I was writing the LSAT at our mosque and asked people to pray for me lmao. I'm a terrible person, but when i get that 170+ and get into Columbia, I think they'll find it funny?

Or I'll never tell them and let it die here lol.

• BumblebeeBumblebee Member
    640 karma

@"Idil.Beshir" said:
    Thank you everyone!

I’m hesitant to give advice because I realize there is so much that I don’t know at all, and what works for me might not be what works for you. For me, the biggest obstacle was learning to understand how I think and not letting myself be lazy lol.I have a bad habit of thinking I understand something, when I really don’t. I’m use to doing well in school, and in all honesty was kinda arrogant about this test. I’d look at an AC and convince myself I knew what I did wrong and that I just wouldn't do it next time. It’s crazy because there are so many webinars that warn against that, but alas I apparently thought I was special lol.

Little tips I learned:
    -Think about what you read. I would just power through a stimulus and be more concerned with retaining information, then understanding what I was reading. This isn’t a test of memory, but I was still reading stimuli the way I would read a textbook. For nearly all LR questions, all you care about is the logical reasoning. Look for the conclusion, then the premise, then the flaw. I constantly try and think about what the author is trying to argue, and what he is using to prove it (the support/premise). I do this for all the analyze questions (SA/NA/Flaw/Weaken/Strengthen). After I understand the flaw, I answer the stem. It’s really important to read with intent and focus and to make sure you are answering what the stem is asking you to, and not getting distracted.
    -I realized that I actually didn’t know what it meant to strengthen or weaken an argument. It’s something incredibly specific. I re-watched the CC lessons so many times, and would pause to make sure I understood entirely what J.Y was teaching.
    -Be careful with changing terminology.
    -Read ALL the answer choices. I would read B, think it sounded okay, and rush off to the next question to save time. That’s how they trick you lol.

The LSAT is testing your critical thinking skills. Not how well you retain information. Ask yourself if how you are answering questions is how you would approach an argument. In most of the LR questions, your job is to find the hole in the argument and then do something to it (weaken/strengthen/ find the NA or SA).So your method in answering these questions should be pretty similar. You just kinda switch gears at the end to answer the specifics of what that question is answering.

Again, I am by no means at all an expert and a group leader or 7Sage tutor is much more qualified to answer this. If I’ve said anything above that is incorrect please point it out to me so I can adjust my own thinking, and not be responsible for putting incorrect info out there.

Wow! Thank you for the wonderful tips. I'm so grateful to hear them. Your 'test day' story is one of the most original and suspenseful ones I've heard yet hahaha

I'd like to ask you for some more generous tips on LR. I'm really struggling with retaining information, especially the subtle details that make or break the argument analysis. You wrote that LR is all about logical reasoning. I really think so too, but I find myself lost in a clutter of information. To see the logical structure,I feel compelled to understand every word I'm reading and piece the info together. This takes a lot of time. To be honest, I'm frightened every time I look at a stimulus. How deep should my understanding of the stimulus be, keeping in mind the incredible time constraint of the exam?
    Do I need to understand everything to really see the logical structure and not fall into answer choice traps?

Thank you so much for your help!!

• OlamHafuchOlamHafuch Alum Member
    2326 karma

@"Idil.Beshir" said:

Lmao, they did. I put grey day in my calendar so I could be fake-stressed all day, and then told them I got a 159 and needed to re-write hahaha. I feel guilty BUT like, immigrant parents don't play when it comes to law/med school.

The day I "wrote" the Sept LSAT, I spent the day in my office and was on TLS all day re-reading old test day stories. I went home and went on about how annoying the proctors were, and regurgitated stories I read on the forum hahaha. I feel so bad because they took me out for a nice dinner after to "celebrate" getting through test day.

OH one part I missed out on - my parents are very religious, and they announced that I was writing the LSAT at our mosque and asked people to pray for me lmao. I'm a terrible person, but when i get that 170+ and get into Columbia, I think they'll find it funny?

Or I'll never tell them and let it die here lol.

The only people who understand us LSATers are fellow LSATers.

587 karma

Wow! Thank you for the wonderful tips. I'm so grateful to hear them. Your 'test day' story is one of the most original and suspenseful ones I've heard yet hahaha

I'd like to ask you for some more generous tips on LR. I'm really struggling with retaining information, especially the subtle details that make or break the argument analysis. You wrote that LR is all about logical reasoning. I really think so too, but I find myself lost in a clutter of information. To see the logical structure,I feel compelled to understand every word I'm reading and piece the info together. This takes a lot of time. To be honest, I'm frightened every time I look at a stimulus. How deep should my understanding of the stimulus be, keeping in mind the incredible time constraint of the exam?
    Do I need to understand everything to really see the logical structure and not fall into answer choice traps?

Thank you so much for your help!!

Sorry, that should have said reasoning structure...basically how the premise supports (but really doesn't support) the conclusion. I went through the CC multiple times, especially when it comes to basics. It's important to be able to properly identify what's context, and what the actual argument is each and every time. The stimulus can be intimidating, but think of it this way - when you're studying is the ONLY time you get to look at this exam without too much on the line. Take your time to properly break down arguments. It's really something you need to teach yourself, because only you know how your mind works, you know? For every question, before you even move on to the AC's, look for 1. conclusion 2. premise 3. flaw. Each and every time. The more you do it, the quicker you'll be able to identify it and cut through the context.

It gets less scary, promise.

One of 7Sage's tutors might be able to help you understand LR better though.

587 karma

The only people who understand us LSATers are fellow LSATers.

I'll never stop talking about this test lol. I swear i have PTSD from it. Like who will I be without the LSAT? I don't even know anymore.

• BumblebeeBumblebee Member
    640 karma

Thank you so so much!!! I feel more relieved and resilient thanks to your words of advice!!!