Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need advice, encouragement, help..

JustinaJJustinaJ Alum Member
edited January 2015 in General 223 karma
Hi Everyone! My name is Justina. I currently work full time (40 hours a week) and go to college full time (finishing my BA this May 2015) I also picked up a part time job (20 hours a week) to make extra money to not be completely strapped. The 2014 school year for me was extremely important. This summer I had a 4.0 semester and this fall I have a 3.8 semester in order to get my GPA to be a 3.60 by the time I graduate. I was taking 5 classes each semester. I am relieved that I have a much better GPA than before. (1.9 when I first transferred to this school) However, I am completely not ready to take the LSAT and I had my heart set on going to law school in the fall of 2015. I would like to go to Florida State U which has medians of 3.43/159 - which is realistic. FSU accepts applications until June 2015 for Fall 2015. My cold score was a 143. I would like to get a 160. (Was supposed to take Dec test and cancelled it) I have not taken a PT since August. I would like to know if anyone has advice, encouragement or anything similar to my situation. I read so many posts that people quit their jobs to prepare for this exam which is amazing but for me is not an option. Can anyone share their story if they are balancing a hectic life at the same time? Would I have a shot into this school if I took the June LSAT and scored mid 160s (since they do accept June) My biggest fear is not going to law school this fall and completely taking a left turn in the life I had planned. Thanks Everyone.. Sorry if I went on and on!! (I am signed up for the 7 sage starter course)

Justina

Comments

• ddakjikingddakjiking Inactive ⭐
    2116 karma
    I can't comment on working full-time while studying full-time, but I recommend sitting out this cycle. Although you may be able to technically still get in this cycle with a June, you will get very little scholarship $$.
  • lbalestrierilbalestrieri Alum Member
    110 karma
    It sounds like you should sit out this cycle. I was in a similar situation when I was in school last year - I worked (not full time, but enough) and was in school full time. I knew that there was no way I could do my best on the LSAT and my applications during that time because I had so much going on. Because of this, I took a gap year so that I could focus on the LSAT and my applications. Not going in the fall shouldn't be your biggest fear - a gap year, or waiting another year, really isn't the end of the world and I don't see how it would be "taking a left turn" if you end up going a year later. Also, there are some schools that let you begin in the spring semester if you really want to go as soon as possible - I would look into those and take the test in the fall instead. Burning yourself out and wasting money and LSAT attempts doesn't sound like the best idea. If you're set on this fall, the only thing I can say is that you have to somehow make it happen between your school and work. This will most likely result in a lack of sleep and a lack of performance in other areas of your life, including school and work and social life. I would make a schedule of your time off and set aside specific time to study and see how much time that gives you before you decide if its reasonably possible to get your score up. Good luck
  • JustinaJJustinaJ Alum Member
    223 karma
    @ddakjiking Thank you for commenting. I appreciate your feedback.

@lbalestrieri Thanks! Making a schedule of my time off and going from there is actually good advice. I didn't think of that. I honestly could care less if I had absolutely no social life. The sleep thing I can also work with. I just really do not want to sit out a year.. I know it is not a big deal - I have just always had this plan in my head of how it would go.. I guess I would be disappointed if I do not go this fall. but thank you! :)
  • MisterMagicMisterMagic Alum Member
    89 karma
    I've been exactly where you are now, and I could write pages and pages about it. I'd love for you to learn from my mistakes, I'm 37 next month and just now in a place in life where I can take the LSAT and hope for law school. Why? Because I compromised my academic career in my early 20s for a typical, mediocre, hourly-paying job. Unless you're making really, really, really good money, I'd strongly recommend focusing on your LSAT and law school. Is there time for a job? Yes. Is there energy too? It's not just your time, but your focus, your enthusiasm etc. If you're drained by spreading yourself so thin, there's no way to just "man up" and tough it out and get the same results you would if you were focused. I hate to preach, but you're asking :) I hate to see people not realize that they're fucking up their life over a mediocre job... It's a trap, it's quicksand, it's a black hole...

I don't know the details of your life, I certainly don't have the answers for you. I can only tell you about me. It's better to do one thing really really well (education) than to do multiple things with compromised efforts. I wish you the best!
  • rajaa.elalamirajaa.elalami Free Trial Member
    9 karma
    @christopherblair, couldn't have said it any better- I'm with you on that every single word! I'm actually going through, same exact situation having a full time job which requires a lot from me and by the time I come home I'm all beat, I've set on two LSAT tests already and been scoring terribly so just as of recently I'm thinking of actually giving work a break for a couple of months, take LSAT and hopefully be able to get another job. The problem here is "I'm half assing" two things that matter a lot to me- the results will not be and really have not been that great at work and with LSAT.
    223 karma
    @christopherblair thank you soooo much for commenting. I am by NO means making enough money to overlook the future. Most people my age get a decent paying job 15/hour and think its great! I do not. I know that I want to be an attorney and have known for some years. I am 22 now. I appreciate you sharing your story. Thank you so much!

@rajaa.elalami I have the same problem.. I end up half assing studying because I am so tired or just do not want to look at the computer anymore. I have not sat for an actual test yet because so many people on 7 sage do not recommend an LSAT until you're fully prepared. I am just so scared to not go this fall. That was the plan and now I am kind of disappointed in myself.
  • helloitsdianahelloitsdiana Alum Member
    67 karma
    Justina,

I want to say that I was in your boat a few months ago. I was working full-time, going to school full-time. I was beat every single day. Nevertheless, I thought it would be too much to study for the LSAT and do everything I was doing so I resolved to graduating with a great GPA and study afterward. (Good luck on getting your GPA up that much that is super impressive!!)
    I greatly underestimated the time required to study for this test. My job was extremely demanding since I worked with lawyers and sales! I figured I was really wasting my time on a job that yes pays the bills but I was miserable in. I decided to quit my job and study full-time. It has been the best decision by far. I know this is not your situation and not every one can do what I did. But I think my advice would be if possible try to limit your spending and perhaps stick to one job that is less demanding and study as much as possible. Its commendable to try to work two jobs, school and find time to study, but trust me this test is HARD! You really need to focus on learning the fundamentals.
    My cold score was 142. I am barely now getting 158-162 and that is after 6 months of studying, full-time no job and no school. I think many people underestimate how difficult it is. Like JY says maybe your a beast maybe you will learn super fast--but its better to set out either a longer study schedule and delay law school for a bit than to burn yourself out trying to do everything at once. Law school isnt going anywhere it will still be there next year. You are young, you can do it!

223 karma
    @deecardenas89 thank you so much for your kind words and comment! I appreciate it! Hey, that is amazing though. 6 months and you're scoring GREAT! I see some people on 7 sage complaining about hitting 170s and just SMH (Shake my head) LOL!!! I wish! One day though. I am going to just have to push forward take the June LSAT and see what I can accomplish. I am so very thankful for 7 sage and all the discussions and input.
  • jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    @JustinaJ Disclaimer: I didnt read most of the posts responding except for yours... but start thinking more realistically. Relax and sit out a cycle. You may sit in June and get a score you find to be adequate and good for you but applying and getting a last minute acceptance is just not the best move. What may get you an acceptance at sticker in June could possibly be $$ if applied next cycle early on... and considering quitting your job is not an option I would assume money is still a consideration. Why spend $$$$ on a LS that is by no means worth it when you could go for just $. I understand you have this life plan you are trying to follow but lets face it, life throws some curve balls and it is extremely hard and kinda unrealistic to set up a plan and follow it to a T. Heck you may take the cycle off and have an epiphany that you dont wanna do this and save urself crazy $ and be more happy than you ever would have been. Keep working, study hard and as often as you can without burning out and take when you are ready. If you feel ready for June go for it and if you need a retake you have October, but really think this through.

tl;dr: put ur plan aside, study hard, take when ready, apply next cycle
  • Stephanie LalondeStephanie Lalonde Alum Member
    2 karma
    If money is not an issue, you could always register for the February exam, take a test every other day and then withdraw from the exam if you aren't ready. But I would advise against it. I regret not taking at least 6 months off (working part time) to study. Good luck.