Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Email Come ons

So I have been getting loads of emails from schools offering me scholarships based on my merit. But my LSAT score was crap and my GPA was average, and I've never applied. Is this just come ons or some sort of game? Is this some diversity program? Not one of the schools I am interested in has sent me anything, just a lot of little known schools.

Comments

• LindsMitchLindsMitch Alum Member
    589 karma

TBH, I wouldn't pay much attention to them. I get a ton of them too, I'm sure we all do if we are signed up through the LSAC website, especially if you have an LSAT score on file. I took the September '17 LSAT and knew immediately I would be retesting...not a terrible score but certainly not anything to get excited over (162), and I never intended on applying with that score. But everyday I too get emails that say something along the lines of "we think you'd be a great match, congrats on your stellar LSAT score, please apply, here's a waiver."

While the vast majority of the schools sending these emails are not ones I'd consider, I have also gotten them from great schools like UVA and Columbia, so I just assume they want to increase their applicant numbers as there is no way I would get in with my present stats.

Are you applying this cycle?

• 193 karma

No, I'm doing June test now. I kind of figured as much, but some of these schools are relentless. I thought, maybe there is a strong demand for middle age hispanic woman with average scores. ????

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

@catgonzalez1974 said:
    No, I'm doing June test now. I kind of figured as much, but some of these schools are relentless. I thought, maybe there is a strong demand for middle age hispanic woman with average scores. ????

Could the schools be lowly enough ranked they crave what are by your and the higher ranked schools standards average scores? If not they just want your application to make them look more selective.

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

They're freaking relentless. I had no idea so many different law schools existed. I get on average 3-5 E-mails a day (I totally made that up but it feels like it) from schools saying "based on your merit!" or "you are a perfect fit!". I wish I could turn them off lol

• zanesbitzanesbit Alum Member
    102 karma

Schools report on the number of applicants vs the number of admissions. So, having 100 applicants even if 60% were subpar and only accepting 15 or 20 looks enticing. Waiving the fee helps build that number. I'm sure the LSAC credentialing service isn't bothered either since they still get their $35 a pop.

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

I haven't even taken the LSAT yet and I am getting a ton as well. Mostly 'you're a perfect fit' and 'have you heard of [insert law school name]' I just delete for now. :)

• LastLSATLastLSAT Alum Member
    1028 karma

UNSUBCRIBE!!! I got so annoyed by these spam emails that I took a solid hour one day to get myself off of every no-name school's mailing list (always an option in the fine print at the bottom of their emails). My email inbox has been so much less cluttered ever since.

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    edited January 2018 3072 karma

I had to unsubscribe from many schools, but now only a few from lower ranked schools pop through on occasion. The way they handle this stuff is proof that law school admissions is a business, though, which is why rankings are so important.

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

I think it's mostly just advertising. They seem to have people mining the LSAC profiles of people who checked that box and then they get your email and start sending these newsletters. I delete the ones I'm not interested in and keep hoping the schools on my list will start sending messages, but I don't have an LSAT yet so it'll be a long process.