Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LG Help

TheAnxious0LTheAnxious0L Alum Member
in General 587 karma

Question -
If I am consistently getting stuck on two questions in a game, do I just keep re-doing the game? I’m really struggling with in/out games... I get the rules and logic, but it’s the inferences that I’m struggling with. I know the response is to fool proof and go back to fundamentals if I need to....but I’ve done this question 10+ times, and ALWAYS get stuck on the last two questions. For whatever reason, these inferences wont stick. It’s game 3 from PT 11...a 2 star question, but question 18 and 19 get me every time.

Any tips on remembering tricky inferences?

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"Idil.Beshir" said:
    Question -
    If I am consistently getting stuck on two questions in a game, do I just keep re-doing the game? I’m really struggling with in/out games... I get the rules and logic, but it’s the inferences that I’m struggling with. I know the response is to fool proof and go back to fundamentals if I need to....but I’ve done this question 10+ times, and ALWAYS get stuck on the last two questions. For whatever reason, these inferences wont stick. It’s game 3 from PT 11...a 2 star question, but question 18 and 19 get me every time.

Any tips on remembering tricky inferences?

This is a pretty standard in/out game. If you're having trouble with it, it's best to make sure your conditional logic is solid. Nine times out of ten when people are having trouble with in/out games, reviewing conditional logic is the remedy.

Always pay attention to when the slots are filling up and who has to be in vs. who has to be out.

For #18, it's going to be a hard(er) one because the answers themselves are written in conditionals. Usually when they do this they are hiding further inferences in the answer choices. If you're quick and efficient with your conditional logic, it shouldn't take that long to just draw the boards out needed to solve this question. Write small, fast, and neat as JY says!

And you end up lucking out because the answer ends up being (A). Not sure there's any specific inference to remember to solve this, but rather knowing what happens when you're forced to put G in and Q out: That forces K in, which mean there aren't enough slots left for J and M, so both of those are forced out since they are part of a bi-conditional. The only member left is F which forces Q in. That means when G is in Q has to be in....

For #19, same thing. Just brute force and test out the answer choices. Sometimes you can rely on old work from previous answers to eliminate a couple of the answers choices. To test out a question like this falsify it by putting both game pieces out. Pay attention to when the in groups and out groups are full/almost filled up and you'll see that the answer usually comes when game pieces are forced to be in/out contradicting a rule.

• TheAnxious0LTheAnxious0L Alum Member
    587 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:
    For #18, it's going to be a hard(er) one because the answers themselves are written in conditionals. Usually when they do this they are hiding further inferences in the answer choices. If you're quick and efficient with your conditional logic, it shouldn't take that long to just draw the boards out needed to solve this question. Write small, fast, and neat as JY says!

And you end up lucking out because the answer ends up being (A). Not sure there's any specific inference to remember to solve this, but rather knowing what happens when you're forced to put G in and Q out: That forces K in, which mean there aren't enough slots left for J and M, so both of those are forced out since they are part of a bi-conditional. The only member left is F which forces Q in. That means when G is in Q has to be in....

For #19, same thing. Just brute force and test out the answer choices. Sometimes you can rely on old work from previous answers to eliminate a couple of the answers choices. To test out a question like this falsify it by putting both game pieces out. Pay attention to when the in groups and out groups are full/almost filled up and you'll see that the answer usually comes when game pieces are forced to be in/out contradicting a rule.

Thank you! I think one of my biggest struggles is the panic when I need to brute force a question... I always think I missed something and start doubting myself. Bleh, the mental hurdles are never ending.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"Idil.Beshir" said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

Thank you! I think one of my biggest struggles is the panic when I need to brute force a question... I always think I missed something and start doubting myself. Bleh, the mental hurdles are never ending.

Yeah, part of getting good at games is just knowing when you need to brute force. It's rare you have to, but when it happens you want to be able to quickly and confidently apply the rules and try out the answer choices.

• lTexlawzlTexlawz Free Trial Member
    277 karma

Best way is to do the questions that are constrainted.I mean if you see a question with if statement. It will allow to see whole game in different light. I always save those questions where it is says which and no if statement last. If you see an if statement locks up the game quicker and allows you answer the questions quicker. Never do the questions in numerical order because you lose more time in doing them in numerical order.