Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Character fitness

mcglz_64mcglz_64 Alum Member

About a year ago (a bit longer) I got fired from my second job out of college. Is worked at this job for 3 months then got terminated. Does anyone have helpful advice on how to acknowledge this on a CF essay? Or links to examples?

Comments

• mcglz_64mcglz_64 Alum Member
    891 karma

My first job out of college was held for about 1.5 years and I've been at my current job for about a year now

• stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma

Best thing you can do is be honest about what happened, take responsibility and share what it taught you.

• TheAnxious0LTheAnxious0L Alum Member
    587 karma

C&F is confusing to me...do I need to include parking tickets? I've heard so many different things. It seems a bit excessive to include....

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

@"Idil.Beshir" said:
    C&F is confusing to me...do I need to include parking tickets? I've heard so many different things. It seems a bit excessive to include....

lol I'm in the same boat. I had a minor infraction, but included it anyway. I also was put on an "automatic academic probation" for bad grades, but I included that as well.

587 karma

@LSATcantwin said:

@"Idil.Beshir" said:

lol I'm in the same boat. I had a minor infraction, but included it anyway. I also was put on an "automatic academic probation" for bad grades, but I included that as well.

I've gotten one speeding ticket in my life lol, and that's it. Not sure how that's relevant, but I guess I'll just play it safe and include it lol. So weird.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"Idil.Beshir" said:

@LSATcantwin said:

@"Idil.Beshir" said:

I've gotten one speeding ticket in my life lol, and that's it. Not sure how that's relevant, but I guess I'll just play it safe and include it lol. So weird.

The ticket itself (speeding) isn'r relevant per se, but they collect all infractions, minor and major, for purposes of C&F for the Bar. There's a big difference between a speeding ticket for going 42 in a 35 and driving drunk doing 110 on the highway... haha

• mcglz_64mcglz_64 Alum Member
    891 karma

Are these meant to be like essays? What if I have two things I want to acknowledge? lsatcantwin did you include both of those things in the same document?

13286 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@"Idil.Beshir" said:

@LSATcantwin said:

@"Idil.Beshir" said:

The ticket itself (speeding) isn'r relevant per se, but they collect all infractions, minor and major, for purposes of C&F for the Bar. There's a big difference between a speeding ticket for going 42 in a 35 and driving drunk doing 110 on the highway... haha

Or changing a song on your I-Phone while driving. To this day I swear that cop had freaking eagle vision. I'm still not sure how he saw me click to the next song....damn hands free device law!

587 karma

@LSATcantwin said:
    Or changing a song on your I-Phone while driving. To this day I swear that cop had freaking eagle vision. I'm still not sure how he saw me click to the next song....damn hands free device law!

I swear they'll pull anyone over for looking down while driving, and say they were texting!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@LSATcantwin said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@"Idil.Beshir" said:

@LSATcantwin said:

@"Idil.Beshir" said:

You're done for dude!! A friend of mine had a similar charge and when he applied for the C&F portion of the bar, they took him into custody, and he is now serving 3-5 on Rikers Island. :wink:

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"Idil.Beshir" said:

@LSATcantwin said:

I swear they'll pull anyone over for looking down while driving, and say they were texting!

I have like 3 speeding tickets and 2 seatbelt tickets.... Goodbye HYS :neutral:

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

@mcglz_64 said:
    Are these meant to be like essays? What if I have two things I want to acknowledge? lsatcantwin did you include both of those things in the same document?

Depends on the circumstance. For minor issues, they should be short.

edited January 2018 13286 karma

@mcglz_64 said:

I had a long one for the academic probation because it's so silly I want to make sure they know it is silly.

Some applications I didn't include the ticket at all because they said something like "other than minor traffic violations".

The ones I did include the ticket on, it was short and said something like "Yep, I got a ticket, I'm human, I'm sorry" ------- except of course without the attitude but the general concept was that.

• usernameusername Alum Member
    276 karma

Each application is very specific on what they ask you to include. Some say literally everything, others say, criminal offenses and traffic issues from reckless driving and up only.

Everyone gets fired occasionally. Tell them you got fired and why, if they ask. I assume they just want to know if it was over excessively bad judgement, etc.

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

I didn't think getting fired was a character issue? I thought it was over academic issues (like cheating) or crimes/being under investigation?

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Every app is different on the minor traffic problems. Some do say "excluding minor traffic violations" and some want everything (University of Washington specifically wants any traffic violations whatsoever included). I have one ticket that was dismissed after a deferred judgment and I've heard even that has to be included if a school wants to know about any traffic violations. Ugh. Because they ask for "citations" not necessarily convictions.

7sage's admissions course is a great value for $10 and has examples and info on how to write them: https://7sage.com/admissions/enroll/

But the basics are that you want to be honest and straight forward, address exactly what happened, and maybe say what you learned from it.