PT33.S1.Q12 - a nationwide poll of students

Cecilia ZCecilia Z Member
edited July 2017 in Logical Reasoning 144 karma

Here's the link to JY's explanation in the Core Curriculum: https://7sage.com/lesson/budget-for-counseling-programs-flaw-question/

^^Could someone confirm whether or not my line of thinking is correct?

P: 90% of people nationwide believe that an appropriate percentage (i.e. 10%) of the school’s budget is being spent on counseling programs.
C: Thus, any significant increase in the school’s budget should NOT be spent on counseling programs.

Analysis: The premise talks about how people feel good about the 10% counseling programs receive. But, the conclusion says that any actual increase of $$$ in the budget should not be spent on counseling programs. But this conclusion doesn’t follow: for if the overall pie/quantity increases, then counseling program funding will also have to increase in order to maintain that 10% slice of the pie (the conclusion seems to imply that the “appropriate amount” should not be exceeded). So, counseling programs actually MUST receive more funding if their appropriate percentage is maintained.

So in other words, the conclusion essentially mistakes the poll results to mean that 90% of people believed that an appropriate amount of their school’s budget was being spent on counseling programs.

(A last note: I was anticipating that the flaw in the argument was that the conclusion is drawn from a belief but is treated as fact. But upon reviewing this question, I see that the the bigger issue is that a conclusion about quantity is being drawn about premises that only described percentages.)

Comments

• Cecilia ZCecilia Z Member
    144 karma

Also, I know the whole quantity =/= percentage is a common flaw, but...

Is there any case when you can, with complete validity, draw a quantity-only conclusion from percentage-only premises, and vice versa?

• inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma

Bumping this to the top!