Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Even If"

DByrne07DByrne07 Core Member

Can anyone talk about a logical equivalency to this phrase? Not "IF", but is it equivalent to "only if"? Or how should I interpret this phrase in LR questions - I've come across it a few times in the late 60s tests.

Comments

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8699 karma

I look at it as “and.” So if I say:

if the warriors win game three, this series is basically over, even if the cavs manage to win game four.

What I’m saying is that the conditional statement:
    Win game three——->basically over
    Is allowed to exist with (and/even if) the cavs squeaking out a win in game 4.

If a person gets a 180 on their LSAT they have a good shot at getting into a great school, even if their GPA is below a 3.5.

So if 180—->good shot’
    And at the same time 3.4 GPA

What I believe we are looking at with “even if” is a fact that can exist along side whatever we just said.

• DByrne07DByrne07 Core Member
    279 karma

So I guess you could also say it's more a carve out within the subsumed set... If that makes sense.... "Even If"really does not denote any type of conditional statement - more of a carve out / caveat within the group that is subsuming the sufficient condition.... I could be 180 off here too.

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

@BinghamtonDave said:
    I look at it as “and.” So if I say:

if the warriors win game three, this series is basically over, even if the cavs manage to win game four.

What I’m saying is that the conditional statement:
    Win game three——->basically over
    Is allowed to exist with (and/even if) the cavs squeaking out a win in game 4.

If a person gets a 180 on their LSAT they have a good shot at getting into a great school, even if their GPA is below a 3.5.

So if 180—->good shot’
    And at the same time 3.4 GPA

What I believe we are looking at with “even if” is a fact that can exist along side whatever we just said.

That makes sense, Dave :) I like your explanation.

Win game three --> basically over
    Even if the Cavs win game four

Even if the Cavs win 4, because the warriors won 3, it's still basically over. It's just strengthening that because the Warriors won game 3, it's still over no matter an event that may occur later in the series. It doesn't change "Win game 3 --> basically over"; it just makes that arrow in bold, because it still occurs even when something seemingly contradictory happens. Like the 180 on an LSAT. The sub 3.5 gpa seemingly would be a negative to our chances of getting an acceptance, but the 180 is so strong, the 3.4 does not matter.