Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

List: Questions to help provoke Personal Statement Topics

Hi everyone! I know that 7Sage has a list of questions on the admissions site that are meant to help you think up ideas for your personal statement, but I thought it might be helpful to have you all write questions that helped you determine your personal statement topic. Anything to get those writing juices flowing!

(If this kind of discussion thread exists, I couldn’t find it sorry! Please link and I will delete the post.)

Comments

• ChaimtheGreatChaimtheGreat Alum Member 🍌🍌
    1277 karma

What event would I not be the same without. For instance if I didn’t got to Chipotle yesterday I would be about the same person today. If I didn’t overcome X obstacle however, I may be a fundamentally different person. Just how I’m thinking of it.

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

What's something you think is interesting? Why?

• xenonhexafluoroxenonhexafluoro Alum Member
    428 karma

Is "Why do you want to be a lawyer?"/"Why do you want to go to law school?" not a good prompt to answer for personal statements?

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

For those of us older non-traditional students: why law school now?

How has your perspective on something changed? Why did it change?

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27858 karma

We all have those stories that are "our stories." They're the ones that we can tell our friends over beer for the millionth time without them getting old, the ones we hope make us sound interesting on first dates, the ones that we just love to tell. What are those stories for you? Can any of them be reverse engineered to have deeper meaning?

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

What makes you an interesting person? What is unique about you? I don't think that your personal statement has to be crazy deep or your whole life story or anything like that. One my professors always says: Your goal when writing your personal statement should be to make the reader think "I'd really like to have lunch with this person."

• 534 karma

@xenonhexafluoro said:
    Is "Why do you want to be a lawyer?"/"Why do you want to go to law school?" not a good prompt to answer for personal statements?

I’ve been told these arent great prompts and won’t lead to a particularly unique statement