Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

testmasters sucks?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Free Trial
edited December 2014 in February 2015 LSAT 578 karma
Did anyone else thought testmasters sucked? I honestly learned majority of my logic game techniques from 7sage videos...thank God for 7sage free YouTube videos.

Comments

• LeBisondeMistLeBisondeMist Alum Member
    135 karma
    Yeah, not a big TM fan. I can see where it would help someone scoring really low, but I disagree with a lot of their methods.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Free Trial
    578 karma
    I thought their type 2 techniques were helpful but they can get confusing
  • ENTJENTJ Alum Inactive ⭐
    3658 karma
    How helpful can they be if they were confusing? Haha! (I kid).

I took TM and it was a pain in the ass. The only silver lining was that I met some really great people.
  • miriruchertmiriruchert Alum Member
    180 karma
    7 sage logic videos are simply the best.
  • Jonathan WangJonathan Wang Yearly Sage
    edited December 2014 6867 karma
    Just like all big commercial prep companies, your experience with TestMasters will largely depend on the instructor you get and how good s/he is at conveying that curriculum. It's not that JY or I have a brilliant never-before-seen methods of tackling the LSAT; our explanations are just better than random TM summer-job-instructor's. In fact, JY and I actually both taught for big test prep companies once upon a time, so the kids we taught back then would probably wonder why anyone would have an issue with commercial prep. TM's curriculum is actually reasonably competent; it's the delivery that's usually lacking.
  • bobaliciousbobalicious Member Sage
    127 karma
    So it sounds like a crap shoot for what do they charge now $1,300? Seems like a bad deal to me.

Also, I really don't like that they make you stay for many many hours at a time to listen to someone (with varying degrees of competence) lecture at you. Just why...
  • andrei700andrei700 Free Trial Member
    17 karma
    I agree with you Royaimani that their type 2 question techniques were very helpful. The other benefit for me personally was that signing up for the course forced me to dedicate more time to this endeavor (I work 50+ randomly placed hrs a week and was finding it hard to buckle down). I saw a 16 point increase in my score, but I'd like to improve more. Outside of TM, the single most helpful thing for me has been 7sage's "fool proof guide to perfection on logic games." TM pushes you to complete as many problems as possible ("if you do all the work, you'll see gains"), but 7sage's fool proof guide advocates for honing in on a specific game you struggle with and completing it as many times as it takes until you master it. As a result, I find that the deductions become memorized and then I'm able to apply them to other games.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Free Trial
    578 karma
    @andrei700 what's the fool proof method???

Yup my instructor was horrible at TM. Half the class stopped showing up
  • David WayneDavid Wayne Free Trial Member
    571 karma
    I had an amazing experience with testmasters, i'm sorry the rest of you didn't. I don't believe TM's quality was superior to 7sage, but i appreciated having an expert clarify anything i was unclear about. I'd recommend getting feedback on a specific instructor if you elect to take a TM course, as my guy was stellar (he scored a 180, although that isn't necessarily indicative that a tutor will be good.)
  • LeBisondeMistLeBisondeMist Alum Member
    135 karma
    I actually really liked my TM instructor, but didn't like a lot of the TM-specific methods. For example, I didn't like that MSS was considered a Strengthen question. I think the somewhat arbitrary assignment of numbers to types is unnecessary. I considered a Weaken question to be a Weaken question not a type __ (I finished the course a couple weeks ago and don't even remember it). I also personally disagree with a lot of the lawsuits that Robin brings against other prep companies or his backing of lawsuits against prep companies, but that's another issue not related to the actual value of the course.