Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RC Hierarchy

bstew2002bstew2002 Alum Member
When doing RC passages, I seem to do worse when I get too focused on the details. On the other hand, I tend to do better when I maintain a "big-picture" view of the passage. Furthermore, the former causes me to spend more time reading (3-5 minutes) and the latter less (i hope that was clear... probably not I'm a shitty writer).

To elaborate, when I maintain the big-picture approach focus on the structure, viewpoints (and how they relate), and the main idea of the passage and paragraphs.

I think "getting too involved in the details" means I get too focused on understanding the inferences and assumptions within the passage and neglect the larger implications.

So, even though all answers are equally weighted regardless of their focus, does anyone prioritize aspects (opinions, examples, definitions, etc...) of the passage? (Note: i won't way "parts" of the passage because they are not always broken down so neatly...)

So maybe a decent priority of focus would look something like this:
1) Main Idea
2) Structure
3) Opinions/Positions
4) Examples
5) Definitions
6) Assumptions, Inferences, other gaps in the arguments

Any similar experiences? Thoughts?

Also, when I look at a passage after reading and marking it, more underling and bracketing=worse performance.

Comments

• blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
    3545 karma
    I'm the same exact way too. I rarely notate, and if I do notate, it's only to get an understanding of what I'm reading, not really meant as something that I'm going to refer back to (except I do underline the author's opinion). After I read the passage one-time through, I make a quick list (30 sec-1 min) identifying what purpose each paragraph serves:
    P1: background
    P2: example
    P3: second example
    P4: conclusion

I mentioned in your other post that I don't do questions in order. I always start with the higher-level questions first because it sets the tone for how well I understand the passage or not. If I find myself constantly having to refer back to the passage to answer MBT/MP questions, I know I'm in pretty big trouble because that means I didn't really understand the passage. After doing that, I realized I can complete the ID questions much faster and more accurately since I already have a pretty solid understanding of the passage's purpose.
  • Nilesh SNilesh S Alum Inactive ⭐
    3438 karma
    Well some of those are definitely things you should have in mind while doing the RC passage... but don't get too ahead of yourself while looking for them... remember that the questions will dictate what you have to look for so while its ok to prime yourself when reading, you should focus primarily on the task at hand... which is to get a good grasp of the passage... structure is something you should definitely build along the way though.
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    I hardly notate as well, I read the passage one time and then I reread it to make sure of my understanding and go straight to the questions. Doing this has helped tremulously. I just keep in mind certain questions that I focus on similar to your 1-6 listed above. And try to infer what the questions will ask about the passage I just read.