Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Parallel Question's

Krithin S.Krithin S. Live Member

I for some reason can see somewhat of links between things when reading a parallel question that asks to find a similar reasoning in the answer choices. But I can't diagram it for some reason. I am hoping that the premium version of 7sage will cover this obstacle, but just wanted to know a head of time if this is an issue for anyone else or more importantly is covered well in the 7sage videos/lessons?

Thank you!

Comments

• CardsnHogzCardsnHogz Alum Member
    edited February 2021 168 karma

Is your stimulus have lacking a method of reasoning like causality or conditionality? As students we are used to diagramming those more often etc. Could you try the " pancake" version to notate?:

"Premise
    "Premise
    "Conclusion

Please someone correct me if this isn't applicable. Also should I have said "deductive form" instead of pancake form?? omg

• McBeck418McBeck418 Member
    500 karma

I think one thing that is helpful is to see these arguments (as well as many others on the test) not only within their contextual meaning, but their structural framing. If you can simplify the stimulus into how it functions rather than what it says, these become a bit easier.

For example, if the stimulus says:
    The success of Mayor Tom's plan depends on government officials doing their job correctly. None of the officials will do their job correctly. Therefore Mayor Tom's plan won't be successful.

We can break this down into something much more basic: a quality depends on a particular action and this action won't be performed. Therefore this quality won't be achieved.

We can simplify this even further:
    A --> B
    /B
    Therefore /A.

While we can draw the parallel from any one of these three 'translations' the last two, because they are much more simplified, become easier to transpose, especially when the ACs are wordy.

Once you get comfortable breaking down the structures, you start to recognise the pieces and can move them around a bit easier in your mind and eventually you don't have to do as much of the underlying work. This takes repetition and practice.

• elliaddaganelliaddagan Member
    144 karma

I agree with McBeck, it is more about formatting than anything else. It seems like you are on the right track though by diagramming. Keep at it!