Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Has anyone found it beneficial to enroll in a prep course (eg Blueprint) after going through 7sage?

SDRose11SDRose11 Member
in General 30 karma
I'll be done with the 7sage course around June/starting to take the PTs and Blueprint is scheduled to start in July. Planning to take the October LSAT, and wondered if this approach would help as a form of review.

While I do love power-studying on my own, there's always something about a classroom setting where you're able to converse with the instructor/classmates that help you glean precious nuggets and tighten skillsets.

Wondering if anyone's taken this approach and/or if this is even a good idea?

Comments

• DumbHollywoodActorDumbHollywoodActor Alum Inactive ⭐
    7468 karma
    Haven't done it. But I think it's a pretty good idea since you've already worked through the 7Sage curriculum. Would love to hear your results from such an experience.
  • jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    I know @ddakjiking took BP before 7sage but not sure if anyone did reverse... also that's a lot of money to spend... if you really work yourself 7sage should be plenty
  • VegMeg55VegMeg55 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    587 karma
    I haven't tried it yet as I'm not on the PT stage, but @nicole.hopkins and other 7Sagers do a group Blind Review session together once per week. This might be the best of all worlds: a peer review environment with others who have gone through the same curriculum that is FREE. BP is expensive and you have no idea what the material will look like so it might confuse the foundation you've gotten from 7Sage. My advice would be to review the fundamentals with 7Sage and find a peer review group on here when you're ready to PT. It might save you money and the migraine of sitting through a mediocre course... those are just my two cents!
  • ddakjikingddakjiking Inactive ⭐
    2116 karma
    I have been summoned.

How are your PT scores @SUNKIST11 ? If you're right around 160 or higher, you probably don't need an expensive prep course.
    @SUNKIST11 said:
    While I do love power-studying on my own, there's always something about a classroom setting where you're able to converse with the instructor/classmates that help you glean precious nuggets and tighten skillsets.
    Depending on your specific location, how many classmates you have will determine how much you will be able to converse. My BP class only had <10 people so I was able to converse a lot as if I was paying for extra tutoring. I imagine you wouldn't get that much individual time if you're in a class of 30 or 40+. After having done 7Sage after BP, I can safely say both are equally good and sufficient enough to get you past 160. If you're someone who cannot self-study and needs a structured study plan, then BP (or any other live prep course) will offer that. If you're someone who has the dedication to commit to self-studying, 7Sage is excellent and not to mention much cheaper.
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    To add on to @VegMeg55 after 7Sage I realized that I still didn't quiet understand certain concepts because I rushed through the course. So I was thinking about enrolling in a classroom setting course that is offered downtown. As I researched other prep courses in the area I realized that a lot of them teach you different studying techniques and are extremely overpriced compared to 7Sage. Knowing that I did not want to spend my money and confuse the concepts I already understood. Instead I decided to go though the 7Sage course again. Going through the course a second time was more beneficial to me than spending on another prep course. Also, the BR study groups filled in some gaps I had about certain LR questions. Since we are all learning from each other. I also received a copy of the Trainer from @"Nilesh S" and I feel that it was also helpful in LR and RC. There are people in the Skype BR groups that are taking the LSAT in Oct./Dec. if you would like to join let me know so that I can add you and you can see how they go and also if you see yourself benefiting from them.
  • mes08mes08 Alum Member
    578 karma
    I took a Powerscore course before 7sage and I did it for the exact reason you mentioned, @SUNKIST11; I wanted some external form of motivation/accountability. Turned out to be a huge waste of time and money. Plus there's little flexibility in terms of working through the material in a class. If you want to focus on something a little longer or you didn't have time to do the homework and fall a little behind, you can't slow down. You have to go along with whatever pace the instructor has set. While it was a little more difficult to motivate myself at times, studying by myself through 7sage and asking questions on this forum have been the most beneficial. I don't recommend taking a class.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @VegMeg55 Hits the nail on the head (if I do say so myself).

@SUNKIST11 Why not join us for a few BR groups (Sat 7pm EST or Monday 8pm EST or both) and see if it fills the need you'd like to address through a course? In addition, some of us meet for topical/conceptual work during weekday evenings. That kind of arrangement serves a slightly different purpose but, again, might fail the bill.

And we don't charge anything for any of this--the time spent and quality of discussion are greater than or at least equivalent to any course or (many instances of) paid instruction.

I mean, when was the last time we missed a single question on group BR? I can't remember it.
  • NYC12345NYC12345 Alum Inactive Sage
    1654 karma
    @nicole.hopkins @VegMeg55 @SDRose11
    I think 7sage + The Trainer + Manhattan LR/RC are sufficient for anyone who wants to ace the LSAT. Think about it this way. Completing 7sage/reading books is comparable to learning how to drive a car, meaning that it provides you with the necessary tools to succeed. After you learn the fundamentals and what you are supposed to be looking for (learn how to drive), relearning what you already know at an extremely high cost is pointless. Do you really need someone to reaffirm that you know which pedal is the brake and which pedal is the gas? Spend a ton of time on BR, review lessons, take PTs, join study groups, and ace the LSAT and get into an amazing law school. That's all there is to it. People end up spending more time gathering prep material than actually studying, which is counterproductive.