Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Losing Hope on LG

TRAPPEDUNDERLSATTRAPPEDUNDERLSAT Core Member
edited January 9 in Logic Games 114 karma

-5 to -7 on LR and RC, -11, -14 on LG. I've been doing games for over a month and my test is in 2 days pretty much. Really thought I was gonna be able to have these click but it just didn't. I thought this was supposed to be the most "learnable" part of this test? What is wrong with me

Comments

• samver22samver22 Core Member
    11 karma

I also struggled with logic games and was missing a ton like you were. It definitely took me way more than a month to get comfortable with them, so keep going! I just did a prep test and got my first perfect score on that section. My best advice is to do them over and over and over and over and over again, and take as many prep tests as you can. I was losing hope, but it slowly and surely came together for me, and I really credit that to consistently drilling the games.

• yhtkimyhtkim Core Member
    215 karma

It never clicks. Like any worthwhile learning process, it's very gradual. That is to say, don't give up! Took me way more than a month to see real improvement.

• Geoffrey LGeoffrey L Alum Member
    7 karma

I have the same problem. Similarly stats in RC LR as well to you. So I just spent the last two months doing timed sections of logic games and blind reviewing. I think I can get nearly everything right on an easy section of LG now, but a tough section might bring me to -5, -6. I can more consistently finish more and more questions within the allocated time now.

Same thing, just drilling drilling drilling drilling till your brain explodes with logic games. I have done just over 70 timed sections at this point (280 games) each game repeated 2-3 times until I can get to about 80% of target time (I.e. 4 minutes for a 5 minute target time game).

Standard advice applies, invest time in making inferences. Try to nail down your sub game boards. I recommend going back every now and then and picking up a hard game and redoing it so you can have some spaced repetition drilling. I also like to jump ahead and do all the local questions (e.g. “if Y is in group 1 , then what could be true…etc) before the global questions. Progress is very slow. Some say they improve none at all for weeks/months then suddenly improve by a wide margin. For me it has been a slow 1-2 points per week. Good luck, trust in the grind.

• equallyyokedequallyyoked Alum Member
    374 karma

I am sorry that things aren't looking up for you just YET. I also am working on LG and while I see improvement, I have a bit to go to reach my goal score in that section. I know that you may have heard this but you may want to highly consider waiting to test in April and/or June. Yes, you would loose what you paid for the test but a couple days score before your actual exam is probably what you will earn on the real test. As others have pointed out, it takes more than a month to obtain mastery in that section. If you are going for a scholarship, then you will want to apply above your schools median.

I hope that this is an overall encouraging message because I too had to realize that is what I needed to hear. The deadline to sign up for April is Feb. 29th, so perhaps assess yourself again a week before then to determine if that is the best date for you. If not, there is also June if your goal is to take it while LG is still in play.

Hoping the absolute best in your decision. You can do this. You just need to sit and think about what is best for you overall.

• gurchit.chathagurchit.chatha Core Member
    edited January 8 24 karma

LG is incredibly learnable. Dont assume it's something wrong with you - it's almost certainly your process. Take this upcoming test and don't sweat how you do. After taking it, immediately get back to studying and focus on:

1. Watching how JY solves a given game. Watch as many times as you need until you get it down
    2. Emulating how he does it untimed and without re-referencing the video
    3. Constraining yourself to the goal time and solve without re-referencing the video

Realistically, you're incredibly early in your LSAT journey (studying LG for around a month and already taking a real exam?), and you're probably so fixated on taking the test given how close it is that you're not really extracting as much insight from learning tools as you can. In my view, you made a massive mistake constraining your study schedule like this and should work to create as much psychological freedom in your next take as possible by giving yourself as many months as your personal circumstances require (e.g. minimum 3 months if studying full time; a much longer term game, maybe even 8+ months if working full time).

• arcpresidencyarcpresidency Alum Member
    1 karma

Nothing. I'm still struggling with LG big time. Baby steps but am focusing on at least getting basics and doing simple questions in practice knowing that I don't have time to get good. Good luck with your test.

• silviojrennasilviojrenna Core Member
    20 karma

@fallingonmysword said:
    -5 to -7 on LR and RC, -11, -14 on LG. I've been doing games for over a month and my test is in 2 days pretty much. Really thought I was gonna be able to have these click but it just didn't. I thought this was supposed to be the most "learnable" part of this test? What is wrong with me

How are you doing on time?
    I find that my score really went up (hovering at -3) once I started quickly confirming that all of the incorrect answers wouldn't work - hell, I would recommend eliminating as many answers as you can, then focusing on which answer meets the criteria in the stim.
    Are there any other trends in your missed Qs on LGs?
    Loosing groups at the end to time pressure? Drill.
    Loosing MBT Qs? Look at prior gameboards
    Loosing add'l stims? Maybe try a clearer way to write out your rules at the top.

I'm also taking the Jan test - good luck, friend! YOU GOT DIS!!!

• Xavier166Xavier166 Core Member
    edited January 8 151 karma

Practice is your friend take this coming from someone who was horrible with LG but now I look forward to playing them I'm best at the hardest games ironically . My method is drilling at least 2 games a day consistently. I promise one day it will just click. Even when I get an answer wrong its my fault either I overlooked something or read incorrectly.

• HelloWorld-1HelloWorld-1 Alum Member
    7 karma

I have a problem with misreading rules under time limits. Sometimes I will even write a rule down correctly, but then when I use that same rule to make an inference, I will misinterpret the rule. I really don't know what to do. I feel like if this test wasn't important to me, I would do much better.

• on_the_brinkon_the_brink Alum Member
    49 karma

I, too, am taking the test in 2 days and the crunch time studying is so real. I used to be scoring in that area for LG as well but what helped me get <-10pts wrong consistently on my PTs was game board setup. That's literally all you need to know- there are 4 different types of games and each one has its own way of setting up the game board. There's a lesson in the curriculum that addresses how to identify the question type with its corresponding game board and that helped me a lot. Once you set it up right, all you have to do is make inferences as you read through each rule. The rest of the questions should flow quickly and easily. But if they don't, then no shame in skipping over them for later. The question types that even JY recommends skipping over for the sake of time are the ones where they ask about a certain rule being replaced by a different rule and what the equivalent effect of that one would be. Basically anything that requires testing by brute force. Those are a few tips that have helped me improve my score, I hope this helps you as well. Godspeed, soldier.

• Ferdinand-1Ferdinand-1 Core Member
    2 karma

Good luck my friend. Nice TUI icon by the way.