Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do I do

ajmcmahon90ajmcmahon90 Live Member

So I am taking the February LSAT because my parents were getting on me for not taking it yet, however I do not feel super prepared. I know I have to take it, but I am definitely stressing. Reading Comprehension on the practice tests have been super high so I am not worried as much about focusing my studies towards it. But I was thinking of really diving deep into logic games because I know I can gain the most points there and take the L on LR. Logical reasoning hasn't been terrible for me, but I know that I would need way more time to study it. Does this approach make sense? What would you guys do? ( I am already planning on taking the April or June LSAT)

What would you do?
  1. Will I be ok with that approach?33 votes
    1. No! Study as much as you can
      81.82%
    2. Take that approach and you'll be fine
      18.18%

Comments

• hollyrose613hollyrose613 Live Member
    165 karma

My parents are getting on me for the same thing, so you're not alone! I totally know the stress and pressure involved from parents while also not feeling ready/prepared enough to take it. If you end up taking the Feb and score poorly it wouldn't do you any good except showing you need more time to study anyways :/.

I talked to a successful student currently enrolled at a law school I am deeply considering and they told me "you want to make your admission applications the absolute best representation of you". So, if you do not feel your score would honestly reflect yourself and/or your abilities as a law student, then I recommend waiting on the exam and study more! I hope this helps :)

• dexteritydexterity Core Member
    edited January 19 724 karma

Yeah, I would try not to let parental pressure influence your study/testing schedule too much. Only you can really know if the time's right for you to take the LSAT. Take it once you feel that you're ready and no sooner.

• Happy-gt172Happy-gt172 Core Member
    95 karma

Well technically you still have 5 tries in total, so a Feb test just to see where you stand in terms of progress might not be all that bad.

My parents have been pressuring me to take as many tests as possible as well, and rightfully so because they're backing me up financially on this, so I'm taking my third test in April. But in the end this is all up to you on what you really want to do. I know some of the high end schools don't like candidates with multiple scores that much, so stacking official scores might bite you back in the end.

For me personally I only decided to take multiple test because I know from personal experience I improve much faster with test center experience.

• Xavier166Xavier166 Core Member
    151 karma

For my peace of mind I decided not to tell anyone when I am taking the LSAT, this will be my second time. To much pressure from persons who do not understand this exam first time around.

• K_Aura24K_Aura24 Core Member
    edited January 19 8 karma

While you can gain the most points from Logic Games that is almost always related to set-up which in the stress of testing can easily be sabotaged (Ex: I had technical difficulties during my LG section and lost 15 minutes). I say yes study logic games but do not get caught up in it, get all your game board set-ups sorted and run through games in timed drills then repeat slower on a fresh copy. Make sure your diagramming for rules is most understandable to you. I love J.Y's examples but sometimes I found my own way to express a rule was easier (like my own language). To that point, while reviewing logic games start thinking about the reasoning section and structures like diagrams especially those harder questions. Logical Reasoning was my strongest diagnostic section but keep in mind logical reasoning can vary the score a lot. Think for example you get lots of complex reasoning questions and lose time hung up on little details. There is nothing worse then ending up with blank answers or guessing on questions you could have understood not rushing. It is so easy to get caught up on individual sections and yes its good to target weaknesses but all aspects of this exam communicate with each other. It requires RC and LG skills for LR and vice versa in any configuration.

All that to say try not to get hung up on one section. Especially so close to the exam this could cause other sections to slip significantly because they were "okay" enough to not practice those skills. (maybe study a few hours daily each week LG RC LR LG PT rest day LR or however works best for your schedule)

• lucasjameszieglerlucasjamesziegler Core Member
    380 karma

I would tell my parents to take a hike. This test is too important to rush. Taking it when you are not prepared is idiotic. I would know! I took it twice while not prepared and magically did not score in the range I wanted to. Took it for the third time last week after consistently hitting my target range and feel much better. I could see your parents being upset if you are slacking off on studying, but if you are putting in a good amount of effort, just continue to stay the course.

I agree with @Xavier158 in that telling people you are taking it can be counter productive.

• damaga0728damaga0728 Live Member
    edited January 19 30 karma

@Xavier158 said:
    For my peace of mind I decided not to tell anyone when I am taking the LSAT, this will be my second time. To much pressure from persons who do not understand this exam first time around.

I agree with this, I believe it is best to just keep it to yourself or people who you know truly want what's best for you. It's important to have a solid support system, whoever that may be.