Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LSAT..why are you so mean!

smmallahsmmallah Alum Member
in General 32 karma
Hi All, I took my first lsat in December 2013 after 4 months of studying. I have a bad case of test anxiety and during the LSAT in December 2013 I freaked out and decided to cancel my score. To my horror, I received an email from LSAC three weeks later with a 145 test score. I thought it was a joke, but turns out my proctor didn't properly explain how we should fill in the cancellation bubbles and since it wasn't properly filled in LSAC counted the score. I took a year break since I had to plan my wedding and move overseas and now I am back in full swing on LSAT studying so I can retake the LSAT in October 2015. I think I have been able to suppress my anxiety, but I have been studying about 6-10 hours a day for the last month and a half (following 7sage and PTing religiously) and my highest PT score was only 153. I am feeling a bit overwhelmed and bummed with the reality of my scores and want to know if anyone has any suggestions on how to deal with this or if anyone has had similar experiences? With a month and a half to go before the exam I'm already thinking I need to take it in December -_-

Comments

• CosmogenyCosmogeny Alum Member
    27 karma
    @smmallah I would postpone if I were you.

I can totally relate to your situation - I've been devoting 4-6 hours to studying every day for the past three months and lately my scores have been worsening. My diagnostic was 156 and my past three PTs have been in the 140s range. I'm as disappointed and bummed out as you are.

I've been studying using the Powerscore bibles, 7sage, LSAT trainer, plus taking a well-reviewed LSAT prep course. While doing the 7sage curriculum I get everything right - but every single PT I just choke and end up getting -7 or -6 in every single section. For some people, 3 months is enough. I think maybe we're just the kind of people that need more time.

I changed my test date to December and I feel so much better. I know there's no guarantee that I will be ready by December, but I'm hoping the extra time will help me realize my true potential.

So hang in there! We can do this!

• smmallahsmmallah Alum Member
    32 karma
    @alida.fellows, I also used the powerscore books, even took the class haha. I think for now, I am focusing only on logic games, since I know if I can get a perfect score there it will get me automatically in the high 150's low 160's. If you haven't mastered LGs yet it will definitely make your score jump when you do so I am confident if you can get a hang of them you can do quite well by December. You are definitely right though, we are the kind of people that need more time and I'm glad we are both pushing through!! :)
  • jac376jac376 Free Trial Member
    edited August 2015 23 karma
    The LSAT rewards a mind set, more than learned skills and habits. A mindset is a product of years of experiences. It's specifically designed to see how analytically and critically one thinks naturally, and it's difficult to change ones natural outlook by studying the habits of a much different outlook; those habits are a product of that outlook, so to master the habits one first must master the outlook. It's like trying to learn Kung Fu by merely practicing the moves, and not the mindset that allows those Kung Fu moves to flow naturally, in turn permitting them to be their most effective. Studying the habits instead of the mindset will do far less than making serious strides towards shifting the mindset towards whats rewarded on the LSAT. I'm not saying it's impossible, just very difficult.

Just my humble 2 cents.
  • brna0714brna0714 Alum Inactive ⭐
    1489 karma
    I appreciate you sharing your viewpoint, @jac376 . I just had to say that while I agree with some of what you've said above, I take great issue with one statement in particular.
    @jac376 said:
    The score on ones first PT will hardly ever be too far from the score on the LSAT, if the time span between those two events is less than a year.
    This is just simply not true. If you look around the forum, you can see example after example of students who have improved 20+ points over their diagnostic. Yes, the process is long and arduous but it can certainly be done. I think your blanket statement is an oversimplification of what it takes to improve. Are you familiar with the 7Sage curriculum? Just curious.

I agree that mindset is important, however, the LSAT rewards those with skill sets that have been reinforced with consistent practice. As an example, plenty of people improve by learning and utilizing formal logic and see a boost as they approach logic games and SA/NA questions correctly. The questions, games, passages, etc. are very formulaic and those that practice the appropriate habits and skills are rewarded on the test.

My intention here is not to be combative, only to prevent the dissemination of potentially discouraging information.
  • jac376jac376 Free Trial Member
    edited August 2015 23 karma
    @brna0714 did some searching on the site, good point you raised. What i said was true for me, and so assumed that it was thus also true for most others.