Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Low GPA, Low LSAT but long work experience?

hyunlee816hyunlee816 Core Member
edited April 12 in Law School Admissions 7 karma

Hello, It's been nearly a decade since I graduated from college. Despite having a low GPA and LSAT scores for law school, I've gained over 10 years of experience in the risk management field at financial industry. I am now considering applying to part-time law schools to explore new opportunities. Currently, I am preparing to take the April LSAT, with plans for another attempt in June before any changes take effect in the August LSAT.

Should try applying this year or next year?

Comments

• 77 karma

You must have a high or very good LSAT score. If you are just now taking the LSATs now with no prior study, I would recommend doing as I am, putting it off until October to allow yourself at least 6 months full time studying for LSATs. Otherwise it would be a waste of money. This program helps alot.

• nicholas.leon96nicholas.leon96 Core Member
    53 karma

Hi Hyun. I would say you should make your decision based off how well you did on the April test. If you made a significant improvement over any test scores you already have then I would say sticking to your October plan is viable. However, if you do poorly this April test, I would consider waiting another year depending on your life situation, to give yourself more time to study and get into a school you want maybe with some financial aid (also gives you more time to work your current job and save money). It's not a race, I'm 28 and also weighing between enrolling this Fall or waiting another year to apply with a better score, and I assume you're ~32, so another year won't kill you (knock on wood).

• evelyn.rios.aevelyn.rios.a Member
    edited April 23 2 karma

Similar circumstances. Graduated from college in 2013. Tons of experience in the non-profit sector and some public service. My plan is to raise my LSAT score as high as I can to apply for early decision beginning next fall (2025). I figured I waited this long might as well give myself some grace and time to submit a fabulous application. We’ve got this!