Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thank you!

AnkushSaxAnkushSax Alum Member
in General 59 karma
Good evening, all:

My time at 7Sage is coming to an end, as I’ll be taking my last LSAT retake on Saturday. I just want to thank the 7Sage staff and community for all their help, insight and transparency throughout my time studying. Before my account expires, to all the test takers, I just want to offer some advice. My score has increased since my diagnostic, but not only because of the sacrifices I’ve made for devoting most of my time to studying, but also, and more importantly in my opinion, is that I have made taking this test and studying for it exciting and fun. I think that everyone should be excited to take this test and not dread it when the time comes to take the actual test. This is the first step to becoming a lawyer, and regardless of what type of lawyer you want to be, this test is the first step, or one of the first, in getting you there. So for all my February test takers, and all the ones who are taking it after Feb, enjoy this experience. Enjoy taking the test. You are going to be reading and analyzing things your whole career now, so you might as well enjoy it and make it fun!

Thanks again to all the staff. JY, you have a phenomenal service and are doing the community a great service.

Cheers!

Comments

• stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    Fantastic advice! You've got this! Enjoy the ride!
  • inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma
    Thank YOU for posting this! Good luck on the LSAT. :)
  • J.Y. PingJ.Y. Ping Administrator Instructor
    14061 karma
    Good luck @AnkushSax !
  • twssmithtwssmith Alum
    5120 karma
    All the best to you and thank you for advice to keep this journey in perspective. I actually giggle when I figure out a nuance in the test. When the drudgery of the test wears me down, I will remember your words:)
    Thank you!
  • mimimimimimimimi Free Trial Member
    368 karma
    Good luck!!
  • GSU HopefulGSU Hopeful Core
    1644 karma
    Thanks for the post. Best of luck to you!
  • dennisriley017dennisriley017 Free Trial Member
    2 karma

Lawyers are one of the most respected professionals in the country. A law career offers many opportunities and advantages. You will have money, prestige and independence. They also make the best deals and also win cases for us by their smart tactics.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited July 2017 23929 karma

> Lawyers are one of the most respected professionals in the country. A law career offers many opportunities and advantages. You will have money, prestige and independence. They also make the best deals and also win cases for us by their smart tactics.

Your post tends to overgeneralize a bit... You can have all of the things above with serendipity, connections, and smarts and leverage to other fields, but generally, once you have a JD other potential employers tend to look at you as defective. Like you couldn't hack it as a lawyer, so now you're trying to do compliance JD advantage work. In other words, don't get a law degree they aren't versatile like they were in the boomer days. The MBA has mostly taken that versatility up.

Lawyers can be very helpful. Heck, I aspire to practice law in some capacity, or at least achieve a JD at some point. However, they are actually rated as one of the most disliked professions along with politicians, used car salesman, and dentists. Sad, but true :(

As far as having prestige .... I guess it all depends. If you go to a dive bar in Iowa and tell the layman yeoman farmer and everyone in there you're a lawyer, you'll probably get some some semblance of prestige and some sneers. Regarding independence, well, independence can certainly be achieved if you work towards it by doing things like establishing your own private practice. Hard to do; not impossible. Working for a firm of any kind, it is unlikely you will have much independence. Again, sad, but true.

I just don't want anyone thinking lawyers are one of the most respected professions in the country when it's quite the opposite. Which is really unfortunate, but they get a bad rep and that's the way it is. Think of all those lawyer jokes..... lol

;) Some are funny and some are just plain true. Most lawyers I have met are actually decently smart, kind, and good people. The public perception is probably based off of ignorance and the media portrayal of the slick talking lawyer. People tend to hate what they don't understand. It sucks to have to pay $20,000 for a divorce if you don't understand any of the legal jargon. It's hard to not hate paying 10k for a closing on a home when all you do is sign papers for 25 minutes..... Stuff like that I think keeps people from respecting lawyers generally.

• vanessa fishervanessa fisher Alum Member
    edited July 2017 1084 karma

Great advice!