Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LSDAS GPA

Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
edited April 2016 in Law School Admissions 27829 karma
Ok, I’m new to this. What exactly is the LSDAS GPA? I just transferred my transcript into the 7Sage calculator and my LSDAS GPA is a full 0.1 higher than my UGPA. Is that typical? I’m cautiously excited about what that could mean, but don’t want to get ahead of myself. So how does this work? Which number do they care about?

Comments

• quinnxzhangquinnxzhang Member
    edited April 2016 611 karma
    Schools care about the LSDAS GPA. After you send all of your college-level transcripts to the LSAC, they assign a numerical value to each letter grade (A=4.0, B=3.0, etc.) and calculate your GPA based on their scale.

This will usually be exactly the same or pretty close to your UGPA, but sometimes they'll be different, e.g. because your school weighs different grades differently or because you took some summer courses at another university or something.
  • runiggyrunruniggyrun Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2481 karma
    The law schools care about the LSDAS GPA only (that's the GPA calculated by the LSAC using their own formula for converting grades into 0-4 numbers and weighing them based on credits). I wouldn't get excited about it being 0.1 higher unless that was the number shown on your official LSAC report, calculated by the LSAC people after you've sent them all the transcripts. The number 7Sage gives you, while most likely accurate, is still just an estimate.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27829 karma
    Thanks guys! And thanks for qualifying the 7Sage number as an estimate @runiggyrun . With where my GPA is at, an extra 0.1 is kind of a game changer. It knocks me up from below 25% to around 50% at many of the schools I’m most optimistically interested in. It also puts a couple on the table I thought were out of reach. So if it turns out it doesn’t actually change, that would be a rough realization if I had allowed myself to get too excited! It’s definitely an interesting hypothetical though. I need to go ahead and get my transcript in so I can find out.
    27829 karma
    Ok, so I’ve actually just encountered a major problem on my transcript that explains the discrepancy and I don’t know what to do. I had a professor who had a stroke and so I dropped the course. As the professor had just had a stroke and was unavailable to take care of the appropriate paperwork for me to drop the course, I went to the head of my department who assured me he would handle it and that his signature alone would suffice. On my transcript, there is an NA listed next to it in the grade column. I never realized I was making an assumption by reading that as what I thought to be an appropriate “Not Applicable.” But apparently NA means “Not Attended.” And counts as an F.

I am literally shaking I’m so upset. Has anyone ever seen anything like this before? Is there anything I can do about this?
    2481 karma
    Well, first thing would be to take a nice deep breath. I realize that's easy for me to say, and I'd be upset as hell (and probably crying, too), but that wouldn't help anything. The good news is that your GPA is in the worst case scenario what you always thought it was. Psychologically easier to deal with than finding out it was 0.1 lower than what you thought.
    Next thing would be to contact your school - in person would be easiest if you live anywhere driveable, by phone or e-mail if you don't. I'd start with the registrar - explain the situation and ask if there's any way the transcript can be amended and what documentation they need to make the change. They should be able to make changes, and it will be a matter of how difficult it would be to get all the required documentation (an affidavit from the head of the department that was supposed to make the change, or from the professor that had the stroke - whatever). Make a formal written request as a follow-up and keep a copy for your records.
    If you are unable to get an official correction to the transcript (or you don't get it corrected in time), you can write an addendum explaining the situation - including a letter from either of the faculty involved that confirms your version of the story would be best.
    Then kill the LSAT in September and get into all your dream schools.
    I really hope they are able to fix it for you and wish you best of luck!
    27829 karma
    Thanks so much @runiggyrun . I've been on the phone since discovering this and it does seem that transcripts are correctable when mistakes are discovered, even years later. I'm on great terms with my department and I don't think it will be a problem to get any documentation that is required.

Today has been an emotional roller coaster. Starting with @"J.Y. Ping" 's little April Fools stunt and now this. It turns out my GPA is way higher than what I thought. Years of disappointment in myself have been suddenly lifted, and new possibilities I never even dreamed of are suddenly achievable. I'm not even going to lie. I'm sitting here laugh/crying like a crazy person.
    27829 karma
    Ok. Got myself pulled together. So happy!
    2481 karma
    I'm very happy to hear that - it helps if you personally know the people involved and you've graduated recently enough that they still remember you as a person rather than a file.
    Maybe that 7Sage karma IS after all redeemable for real life karma points, and you're just getting a well deserved reward for all the help you've given the 7Sage community.
    Laugh and cry away - it is April Fools after all.
    27829 karma
    Ha! Maybe!
  • Nicole HopkinsNicole Hopkins Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4344 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    I am literally shaking I’m so upset. Has anyone ever seen anything like this before? Is there anything I can do about this?
    Dude I just got into Northwestern with 5 REAL F's on my transcript. And my GPA is NOT the lowest one in my class. So, perspective :D

And, there is 100% an appeals process. I believe the first step is to talk to your undergrad institution and get them to fix it. That's the Registrar's job. Then once they have resolved it talk to LSAC.
    edited April 2016 27829 karma
    Yeah, I discovered it too late on Friday to do anything about it, but I’ve been calling around and it seems like it’s going to be a relatively easy fix. I have great relationships with my department, and given the circumstances I think I’d be given the benefit of the doubt even if no one specifically remembers exactly what went down. My little freak out very suddenly turned into euphoria. I’m going to get to change one of the factors you shouldn’t worry about because you can't change! Super excited! And congrats again on the offer from Northwestern, that is seriously legit!
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    @"Nicole Hopkins" said:
    Then once they have resolved it talk to LSAC.
    Yep, I discovered a discrepancy on my report and had the school fix it, then they sent the replacement transcript to the LSAC, who reran my report.
    3197 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    I’m going to get to change one of the factors you shouldn’t worry about because you can't change!
    Its rare and awesome! I always tell people to check their transcripts before sending to the LSAC because the process can take some time. But I am glad you discovered it!
    27829 karma
    Yeah, @stepharizona I’ve looked at my transcript so many times. I think I just kept missing it because that class happened to fall during my one really bad semester. I was expecting a drop in my GPA so it just didn’t ring any alarm bells beyond “wow that hurt worse than I expected.”
    3197 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    I’ve looked at my transcript so many times
    Yep, you need to go line by line AND oh this also applies to you... look at the notes about your standing. I had a "academic warning" on my final transcript for a semester I got straight "A"s. I was like what in the?!?!

So its not just about the grade its the entire content. Deans List, Academic Honors, Call to get those things on there. Some schools don't list them and others do. If its an honor you are suppose to have, get it.