Law School Application - Diversity Statement

nik23123nik23123 Core Member

Hello!
I wanted to ask about topics for my diversity statement to see if I could get some insight. I graduated with a BS in forensic biology and I thought it would be really interesting to write an essay about my education and how it adds a diverse perspective. Do you guys think this is appropriate? One of my mentors has suggested that I also talk about my diverse personal background as an Indian in the essay but I'm not sure if these two topics go together. Thanks!

Comments

• keziamunrokeziamunro Core Member
    edited November 2023 30 karma

I would agree with your mentor! Bring in the background as an Indian part and perhaps tie in the BS in forensic bi by mentioning that it's typically frowned upon in the culture to stray away from a tech/science/math field (my own two cents as a fellow South Asian). I feel it would be stronger than just explaining that your degree adds a diverse perspective - most law schools understand/know this, its why they like students with diverse degrees. I think start from there and then mention that you were glad you took that route because it means you can bring XYZ into the field of law :)