Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Only" In conditionals

cafetero23cafetero23 Live Member
in General 83 karma

Can someone help me with the word "only." It is a word that is giving me so many headaches when trying to do conditionals. I seem to be having trouble when only is mixed with "will"

I am doing the skill builders on this lesson - https://7sage.com/lesson/skill-builder-kick-it-up-to-the-domain/

I am having trouble with question #12:

High school teachers who teach AP courses will only tutor students they believe to be in danger of failing and they believe that only students who missed Monday’s class are in danger of failing.

From previous classes, we have learned that "only" is a necessary conditional indicator. But when it comes to statements above, I seem to get confused. In cases like these, does only modify the "second action"

I will only go to class on Mondays and Wednesdays.
Tim will only write the exam when he is ready
I will only make eggs if they are fresh

Would this be the same as:

I will go to class only on Mondays and Wednesdays
Tim will write the exam only when he is ready
I will make eggs only if they are fresh

Comments

• ranalzanyranalzany Live Member
    6 karma

@"7Sage Admin" Can we please receive clarification on this? I came to see if anyone responded. I am currently struggling with the same questions @cafetero23 is struggling with. Please assist.

• cafetero23cafetero23 Live Member
    83 karma

@ranalzany thanks for your response - but I believe in cases with "only will" it modifies the second part of the sentence. I try to see which clause/sentence "only" is modifying. This would be in all of its uses. However the examples below are ones I try to use for "will only"

Lets take this simple sentence and later translate it to a "will only:"

"_If you play for the Lakers, you are in the NBA_." 

Being in the NBA is something that is necessary to be in the Lakers.

To translate it to a "will only"

_You will only play for the Lakers if you are in the NBA_.

_You will only play for the Laker when you are in the NBA._  

What helps me is knowing that not every NBA player plays for the Lakers, Almost a majority of them play for a different team. So seeing which one is the subset and which one is the superset makes it easier with this example. It cannot be that every NBA player is in the Lakers, so it has be If Lakers then NBA. With this example, it made it easier for me to understand a bit more how "will only" works.

Regarding the tutoring example above that was taken from the lessons, asking who will only be tutored helped.

High school teachers who teach AP courses will only tutor students they believe to be in danger of failing

In this example, we see that there are two conditions. The first one is tutoring and the second one is "those they believe to be in danger of failing." We might not be able to use the same tactic as the NBA one since we do not know the numbers but which one makes more sense?

if in danger of failing then being tutored
    or
    If being tutored then in danger of failing.

What I also do is ask what is the only referring to? In the case of " will only tutor" you can ask well who are they only tutoring? it would be students that are in danger of failing.

I guess you can also ask "who will the tutoring be only applied to?" to break only away from will.

This is how I was able to make some sense of it. I am not 100% sure if it right but if anyone wants to correct me or improve upon it I will greatly appreciate it.

• ranalzanyranalzany Live Member
    6 karma

@cafetero23 This is great! Thank you so much for breaking it down for me. Makes much more sense now. Bless you.

83 karma

@ranalzany you're welcome - best of luck in your studies!

83 karma

@ranalzany I was going over some of the lessons on Inferences/MSS. They have an example here of "will only" if you want to see an example in the lsat in action

https://7sage.com/lesson/mbt-lesson-1-pt61-s4-q07/?ss_completed_lesson=23918