Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jury Duty

dvillat1dvillat1 Alum Member
in General 43 karma
Oh the irony.

I've been studying for the LSAT all summer and this month began taking practice tests. I was planning on PTing till I take the exam in December. Anyways, I received my first summons for jury duty in the middle of October and now I'm worried. I don't know if I'm overreacting but the LSAT is obviously a top priority for me right now and I'm worried this may possibly interfere with my strict study schedule. So what do you guys think? Should I go and hope to be dismissed? Or should I try to mail in a request to postpone the date? Would they even accept the fact that I'm studying for the LSAT as an excuse?

Thanks!

Comments

• nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @dvillat1 said:
    middle of October and now I'm worried. I don't know if I'm overreacting but the LSAT is obviously a top priority for me right now and I'm worried this may possibly interfere with my strict study schedule.
    Tell them you are applying to law school at voir dire. They will almost never select lawyers/future lawyers, according to my attorney friend. So you'll very likely be off the hook just by being honest :)
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    Or just go ahead and do it. It's just jury duty. It's not like you're working 16-20 hour days or anything like that. I don't really see how it's any different than people who are working full time and studying.
  • ddakjikingddakjiking Inactive ⭐
    2116 karma
    Don't know how it works in your county but in mine, you check in around 8am or so. You then sit in a large room until a lucky few are called in to do their thing.

When I did it, I was waiting from 8-12ish, hour lunch break, then until 5pm. Was never called in. If I had been studying for the LSAT back then, probably wouldve been the best day to study.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @Pacifico said:
    t's not like you're working 16-20 hour days or anything like that.
    The man has a truly excellent point. Been workin' full time this whole time. Ain't no thang.

• dvillat1dvillat1 Alum Member
    43 karma
    Haha thanks for your advice everyone! I sent in my form today and I'm just going to suck it up and hope for the best.