Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Study Schedule

GSU HopefulGSU Hopeful Core
edited January 2015 in General 1644 karma
I have a couple of questions regarding the generic study schedule provided by 7Sage. When I first started the curriculum, it went without a hitch. As I have moved through, I am getting more and more behind. I just arrived at the first block of logic games and fool proofing everything has really bogged me down. I'm understanding the games after going through the method, but it seems to be taking forever. Has anyone else ever bogged down on one section or gotten really behind? If so, how did you deal with it? Did you strive to catch up, move your test up, or what? I have found that it is nearly impossible to carve out the required amount of time to stay up with the schedule. Also, this brings up another question. I know the importance of going in order of the syllabus. However, I've been working LG exclusively for about a week. When things get bogged down, I find myself losing sight of the principles that I learned in previous sections when it had been a while since touching on them. How do others using the site deal with this? Should I be hitting LG, LR, and RC everyday, or a few days between them or what? It is important to note that I am planning on taking the December 2015 test and I've been attempting to study while working 40-50 hours a week. Been at the program since early December. Thanks for any input I might receive.

Comments

• RACHEL MURPHYRACHEL MURPHY Alum Member
    5 karma
    I also have this issue! I feel like theres so much material and I'm a week behind. I don't know whether to cram or what
  • tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma
    @bbryah If it's LG move on. You're probably not going to be able to totally grasp LG until you start PT, BR and fool proofing. You shouldn't leave it until the end of the course though. Do the fool proof method for the LG types that are giving you trouble while you're working on other sections of the course. During the curriculum you're trying to grasp the fundamentals, not master every single question. You need to spend enough time to have a solid grasp of the fundamentals but then move on. You'll have time to master the games when you start PT and BR. Don't just breeze through the sections though just to say you completed them because you'll be back!
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    Don't fool proof in the curriculum and stop doing all the problem sets. Do only enough to get a feel for the topic and then save the rest for your PT phase to shore up any weaknesses.
  • aoioaaoioa Free Trial Member
    edited December 2015 2 karma
    Pacifico, can you go into more detail about what you said? I'm also getting bogged down in the lessons because of the problem sets just for LR. I try to really master the questions as much as I can, watching videos for ones that I thought were important even if I got them right, before moving on because I don't want to struggle as much and waste PTs when I get to that stage. Should I go through the course and then do the individual problem sets or only do them after regularly PTing?
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    Only do enough problem sets to familiarize yourself with the question type. Mastering strengthening questions during that unit in the curriculum is pretty pointless since the LSAT is all about switching gears from question type to question type and section to section. If you use up all of your problem sets now and a problem arises during your PT phase, it will likely be more difficult for you to address without fresh problems to do. A little common sense goes a long way in the curriculum. Ideally you should get a feel for the question types during the question videos where JY talks through them so you don't even need to touch the problem sets until weaknesses crop up during your PT phase. Furthermore, you are likely to get rusty on the early parts of the curriculum once you start your PT phase and that is perfectly logical especially if it takes you several months to get through the curriculum. The curriculum is there to teach you the test, not to master it. Mastery comes through timed PTs and thorough clean copy BR.
  • GSU HopefulGSU Hopeful Core
    1644 karma
    @Pacifico said:
    Only do enough problem sets to familiarize yourself with the question type
    Very good advice here. While going through everything the first time, I found myself doing every problem set in the curriculum. When I got to the PT phase and needed to shore up areas, I didn't have "fresh" problems that I had never seen before since I did all of the problem sets in the curriculum. As @Pacifico said, just do enough to familiarize yourself and get the basics down. Keep as much as you can for shoring up weaknesses in the PT phase... because there will absolutely be something or multiple things that you will have to work on. Best of luck to you.
  • nantesorkestarnantesorkestar Alum Member
    431 karma
    Hey @"GSU Hopeful" I am also experiencing a similar issue right now. I still have several problem sets left (Strengthen/Weaken) mostly, which happens to be my weakest LR question type. While I am on LG right now (my strongest section), should I try and improve Strengthen/Weaken before the PT phase? I do really well on the easier questions but struggle tremendously with the harder ones. I also have the LSAT Trainer which I think could help with spotting flaws more quickly. I am already a week behind my study schedule and do not want to spend too much time to the point where I run out of time to do all planned PT's before June. What do you think?

Note: This isn't my first time studying for the LSAT. I understand the methodology behind assumptions/weakening/strengthening but lack the confidence to be able to anticipate the answer choice.
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    Agreed with @Pacifico . It took me awhile, but I finally realized that if you attempt to do every single problem set + PT at least 40 exams, it would take you quite some time to "be ready" for the actual test. I only do 1-2 problem sets. PT, check which question type I missed most, then go back and do some of the remaining problem sets. If you use up all of the problem sets prior to PTing, you'll be forced to use fresh PTs (36+) in order to drill.